Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm All In - Car of The Future Ordered

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Order number RN3275093, delivery December.

As a cyclist and not much of a car user, it has taken quite a leap of faith, but I've just ordered an 85D. I probably drive around 2,500 miles per year and it's not a company car so why? Because I believe in the product and the surge of acceleration is soooo addictive. Ordered from Westfield, London. I'm not sure I've ever been so excited about ordering a car before. In fact, scratch that, I haven't. Tesla have been amazing, even lending me a car for 3 days to see if it fitted on my driveway. They've even agreed to lend me a car for the odd overnight before delivery. I'd love to hear from the experts as to what to expect during the wait.

Spec?

I'd love to hear from the experts as to what to expect during the wait.
Spec?

I'm no "expert" but I've been waiting since late June and can tell you that it sucks! It's kind of a good sort of pain, but a pain nonetheless. The time while it has been in transit has been the worst - very little visibility. Also the P90D coming out shortly after my order was confirmed was a bit of a bucket of cold water, but I suppose that's part of what we sign up for with the incremental improvement model (vs. model year upgrades).

My recommendation - enjoy the forums (lot's of fun content here) and the videos. Bjorn's stuff is great. I'm sure I'll look back on this time very fondly.

Congrats on the new car and grey is very nice - nearly went with grey.

Don't be surprised if you end up doing more than your regular 2500 per year. Since I got my 85 I find myself looking for reasons to drive. Teslas should come with a warning label advising of the addictive nature of the vehicle. :)

That's right except I cycle every day into the City of London rather than take the tube - doing my bit for the environment and my health! The Tesla is the only car that fits in with my values. That and the amazing acceleration, looks, finish etc etc...

As a cyclist and not much of a car user, it has taken quite a leap of faith, but I've just ordered an 85D. I probably drive around 2,500 miles per year and it's not a company car so why? Because I believe in the product and the surge of acceleration is soooo addictive. Ordered from Westfield, London. I'm not sure I've ever been so excited about ordering a car before. In fact, scratch that, I haven't. Tesla have been amazing, even lending me a car for 3 days to see if it fitted on my driveway. They've even agreed to lend me a car for the odd overnight before delivery. I'd love to hear from the experts as to what to expect during the wait.

Spec?

As a former government bus driver in California who was required to go to many driving safety classes (not perfunctory punishment courses), I think basic driver safety classes are helpful to conscientious people like you and me, and since you're rusty at driving, I recommend you find such a course and take it. These are not the punishment classes offered everywhere in USA, but specialized safety courses that are basically driver's ed for professional drivers who need a bit of refresher and mental study, perfect for you I think. Mostly you should expect middle aged municipal workers there in my experience, and that would be my first stop asking for a referral (ask a municipal worker to speak to their fleet driver eligibility and safety coordinator, or a commercial driver insurance agent should have a line on this type of course, too).

If nothing else, just take a relaxed long read of your driver's ed book your government gives out to new drivers, and give every thought to its concepts. At least in California 1987 these books have been decent.

Last edited:
Thanks but I ought to have said I do drive (Audi RS4 and BMW M3 cab most recently), just for not many miles a year. I guess the Tesla forced me to re-think the ownership model somewhat, particularly doing so few miles. I wanted to do more miles, and in a quick car, I just resented the MPG (always sub-17's) a little and the knowledge that I was harming the environment. MS has solved these qualms at a stroke. I'm off to the SC tomorrow to confirm the purchase with my son. Maybe some swag to be had? It will depend the charms of my son!