Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dead Roaster - switchpack?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

nick

May 22, 2012
My 1.5 died (again) leaving me stranded (again).

It threw an interesting list of errors on the LCD - ABS system failure, TPMS system failure, Coolant system failure, and Low voltage system failure. At least the LCD still works :smile:

The original switchpack module failed and was replaced a year ago (>$2k). Tesla think the replacement module failed causing the above symptoms and they replaced it last week. The problems continue. They now think the replacement of the replacement has an intermittent fault and is being replaced, making it module #4.

Poor little car.

More than $2K???

The multifunction relay unit is less than $100 from Lotus and takes about 10 minutes to replace. I believe that is what Tesla calls the switchpack module. It supplies power to numerous electrical systems with the key on.

I had a switchpack replaced in 2013 - new one was quoted at over $1000, plus labor, so might have been ~$2k total. I had the impression it was a custom part that evolved a bit with the early Roadsters, so it needed to be matched to car & firmware.

In my case, I think the only error that came up was code 1416 Low Power System Service Required. More discussion of others' experience here, plus my own:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/24049-Low-Power-System-Service-Required

Wishing you luck, with much empathy.

Another week and still no Roadster.

The car starts working and passes all their tests, then fails (usually) the next day.

Latest update is that it failed for a while this morning which allowed them to test and rule out a number of things.

I finally got my Roadster back on Friday.

1) Steering wheel now points left to go straight ahead.

2) Both headlights are damaged - major delamination down the center of both lights (headlights were find before the Tesla service).

3) Car now rattles when driving.

Tesla have booked the car in next week for the steering wheel and rattle.

Tesla says the headlight lamination is only expected to last 2 years and told me I either need to buy new headlights (>$2000) or pay a third party company to strip and recoat (approx $700).

Not happy right now.

That doesn't sound good, I would be unhappy too.. Would "a long series of tests with headlights on and no cooling", be a possible cause of the sudden delamination?

And was the initial problem that "switchpack" again?

And was the initial problem that "switchpack" again?
It failed on several different days after they replaced the switchpack.
Then they "reset the battery computer" and it has gone a few weeks without failing.

When I picked it up I was told "if it fails again it could be the battery"... which I interpret to mean the don't have a clue what is wrong.

Mine (#278) is being picked up Thursday to go to the Houston Service Center (almost 300 miles) for the same series of errors :(

Hope I have better results as multiple trips to Houston would be very bad.
Ouch. Sorry to hear that.

Have them look up #369 and suggest they talk to David Burris at the Fremont Service Center.

Got #278 back today and all appears to be well. No more warnings/errors. Fingers crossed.

good to hear you're back on the road.

- - - Updated - - -

Glad to hear you got your Roadster back and all is well. Curious as a data point for the switchpack going out, how many miles do you have on your Roadster? From what I can see they for the most part appear to die pre 30k when they do.

one other data point - mine went at ~11,700.

Bump (sadly)... the car worked for a few months with the new switchpack then died again last week. This time with 8 different error messages (amusingly the touchscreen is one of the few things that still works inside the car).

Got the car to a Tesla service center but they say they can't look at it until next year :mad:

Bump (sadly)... the car worked for a few months with the new switchpack then died again last week. This time with 8 different error messages (amusingly the touchscreen is one of the few things that still works inside the car).

Got the car to a Tesla service center but they say they can't look at it until next year :mad:

nick, sorry to hear about this.

As before, hope they have hooked you up with a loaner S esp given the long wait - it's possible you've got more going on with 8 msgs. I saw fewer with mine, but if you post the error codes / msgs others might be able to speculate if anything else might be up. Good luck to you.