Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Miami Service Center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
J

jbcarioca

A short time ago a Tesla Service Center employee who lives near me told me that Tesla was planning a Miami Service Center and had settled on a location on Bird Road in Coral Gables which was the location of a car dealer. I have no official confirmation of that. Does anyone else have any insight regarding a Miami Service Center?

I was told it was going to be somewhere in the Bird area too with a 2016 opening. Tried to sleuth out permitting info but hit a brick wall.

From an employee email back in March of 2015, "I would like to give you an update on a Miami Service Center. We’ve been working with our Real Estate team in the Miami market for over a year looking for a location that represents the brand well and centrally located close to our owners in the Miami area. Unfortunately, this puts us in a very desirable area in Miami where commercial real estate that fits our needs is very limited. We have found an opportunity which we are currently working on with the goal of a potential opening at the beginning of 2016. I believe you will be very pleased with the location and convenience of having it in the Miami market."

It would be nice to get more details about the location.

If this turns out to be near the Bird Road Subaru Dealership, it might be one of those rare sites that is suitable for Service, Sales and a Supercharger Station. As you know there is a 2016 Miami Supercharger on the "drawning board".

Larry

Last edited:
If this turns out to be near the Bird Road Subaru Dealership, it might be one of those rare sites that is suitable for Service, Sales and a Supercharger Station. As you know there is a 2016 Miami Supercharger on the "drawning board".

Larry
A quick review of the existing auto facilities in that area does yield a couple that can safely be called underutilized. Despite enthusiasm from Tesla semi-official sources these locations are all quite expensive. OTOH, the last Tesla event in the area was at the Biltmore.

Anyone have any more info. about a Miami Service Center?
I asked the person who had earlier mentioned it to me. He says that the topic is "still in discussion". However, it is quite reasonable to think that there is no immediate plan because nothing has been disclosed and no jobs have been posted. As others have noticed from time to time, the single most authoritative source seems to be job postings.

Frankly I am puzzled. From all anecdotal and empirical evidence Miami-Dade, especially within the Dadeland catchment area and the Bal Harbor catchment area, seems to be one of the largest concentrations of Tesla owners in the US without a local service center. Naples is soon to open, and obviously needed, but probably Dania will not see huge relief from that SC. As it stands Dania seems consistently overloaded already and new registrations are worsening that situation. So, why not Miami already?

The only thing that gives me pause is that the SC situation in much of Europe is worse, and might also be in worse pressure in some parts of the US.

Obviously, as denizens of Miami-Dade we really don't care about the rest of the world as much as we care about our own vested interests.

So, two grand local issues resound with me:

1. Miami Service center;
2. At least two Miami Supercharger locations; one Northern (somewhere Golden Glades- catching I95, turnpike, I75) and one more southerly (I95/US1, 826, Turnpike south)

Although the SC is for local support, those two Superchargers will, together with Plantation (whenever it finally opens), make the winter residents and tourists finally have easy access to their normal stopovers associated with the Keys and everything Miami-Dade.

I keep wondering how we can act to encourage both of these issues within the Tesla hierarchy. Any ideas?

I asked the person who had earlier mentioned it to me. He says that the topic is "still in discussion". However, it is quite reasonable to think that there is no immediate plan because nothing has been disclosed and no jobs have been posted. As others have noticed from time to time, the single most authoritative source seems to be job postings.

Frankly I am puzzled. From all anecdotal and empirical evidence Miami-Dade, especially within the Dadeland catchment area and the Bal Harbor catchment area, seems to be one of the largest concentrations of Tesla owners in the US without a local service center. Naples is soon to open, and obviously needed, but probably Dania will not see huge relief from that SC. As it stands Dania seems consistently overloaded already and new registrations are worsening that situation. So, why not Miami already?

The only thing that gives me pause is that the SC situation in much of Europe is worse, and might also be in worse pressure in some parts of the US.

Obviously, as denizens of Miami-Dade we really don't care about the rest of the world as much as we care about our own vested interests.

So, two grand local issues resound with me:

1. Miami Service center;
2. At least two Miami Supercharger locations; one Northern (somewhere Golden Glades- catching I95, turnpike, I75) and one more southerly (I95/US1, 826, Turnpike south)

Although the SC is for local support, those two Superchargers will, together with Plantation (whenever it finally opens), make the winter residents and tourists finally have easy access to their normal stopovers associated with the Keys and everything Miami-Dade.

I keep wondering how we can act to encourage both of these issues within the Tesla hierarchy. Any ideas?

Couldn't agree more. Wish we could get our feedback to the right person in Service Planning.

Wow! The location is superb too, for some of us. I won't even need a loaner; the location shown is nice walking distance for me.
the question is: what does 'coming soon' really mean?

Hi JC,

The pin on that Tesla webpage puts it on a commercial establishment called Burberry, an English Apparel store. It appears to be located in the midst of a residential neighborhood. That doesn't look like a suitable location for a service center.

I'm guessing that it may be nearby on Dixie highway. Or it may even be a bit further away at SW 40th Street, (the Bird Road area) our previous guess where there are a lot of conventional dealerships.

A permit search didn't turn up anything for me.

Larry

I want to make sure to thank the Regional Service Manager Alberto Cortinas for making progress on the Coral Gables Service Center!
+1 he certainly may have influenced the location!

- - - Updated - - -

Hi JC,

The pin on that Tesla webpage puts it on a commercial establishment called Burberry, an English Apparel store. It appears to be located in the midst of a residential neighborhood. That doesn't look like a suitable location for a service center.

I'm guessing that it may be nearby on Dixie highway. Or it may even be a bit further away at SW 40th Street, (the Bird Road area) our previous guess where there are a lot of conventional dealerships.

A permit search didn't turn up anything for me.

Larry
There is no permitting so far, according to the CG city offices. Allegedly there is a completed lease, I was informed a few minutes ago by a broker friend, but there has been none yet filed so far as I can find. Early next week I can make more complete inquiries.

There have been several potential Bird Road locations, including one seemingly ideal one that is currently in use as a dealership, but with poorly performing franchise. The dealer controlling the most desirable ones is purported to want to consolidate several franchises in a single location. A year ago there were active local rumors that Tesla was negotiating for that space. As perfect as it might be it is NOT the low rent kind of location often found with Service Centers. Still, the Tesla site shows both Service Center and Store, so this may be logical. Near the US 1/Bird Road intersection and close to large concentrations of high end car buyers this could be ideal.

Maybe wishful thinking. If the shown location is near the actual it most likely would be somewhere on the part of Ponce de Leon parallel to US1. There are a few available locations there but it seems probable they would all need to be new construction.

Nice. I notice that it's also going to be a service center. Would also be a great choice as a future supercharger location for those traveling through along the coast and don't want to detour to Plantation.

Hi Fred,

Yes, that general area of Coral Gables at Rt. 1 might be a good Supercharger location.

However, the exact location that the Tesla pin takes us is not a good location because there are no amenities or adequate parking there, nor is it suitable for a service center or store.

Undoubtedly the pin is not meant to provide the exact location, only a general vicintity in Coral Gables. So we need to do a bit more research to locate the real location.

Larry

I have confirmation from real estate people that it will be directly across the street from The Collection at 4001 Ponce De Leon Blvd, Coral Gables, FL

Kudos for Tesla for having the courage to put up shop right next to a Ferrari, Aston Martin, Porsche, etc dealership. Word is the land owner is also creating a vehicle storage space with elevators on the second floor.

I have confirmation from real estate people that it will be directly across the street from The Collection at 4001 Ponce De Leon Blvd, Coral Gables, FL

Kudos for Tesla for having the courage to put up shop right next to a Ferrari, Aston Martin, Porsche, etc dealership. Word is the land owner is also creating a vehicle storage space with elevators on the second floor.

Hi Ethan,

Great information. This looks like a good location.

Larry