Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost to upgrade 1.5 -> 2.0 or 2.0 -> 2.5?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There was a body "facelift" for the 2.5 look applied to 2.0 cars which they sometimes called "2.25". I think there may have been a short window of opportunity to get that done, and I suspect they don't offer it anymore.

1.5 and 2.x cars are rather different - many parts are different, and I don't think they ever attempted to convert a customer 1.5 into a 2.x

You could always add later model wheels. I believe I have 2.5-generation forged wheels on my 1.5. Also the later-model soundproofing could be retrofitted. You could also buy a later model charger.

There were also some one-offs in the earlier days in Menlo Park. For example, I had 2.0 seats put into my 1.5 as well.

I was under the impression that some of the upgrades they made when they came out with 2.0 could be applied to 1.5 cars, and same with 2.5. Things like the upgraded transmission (push button), Double-DIN dash, etc. Am I mistaken? I'm probably mistaken.
Okay, yes certain items can be added, as others have pointed out, but there is no upgrade package that can convert one Roadster version to another.
The double DIN upgrade is possible, but it is a lot of work, and costly. Adjustable suspension can be added to any Roadster. I do not think it is feasible to add the push button transmission control center console and HVAC controls to a 1.5, but almost anything is possible with enough money.

... Things like the upgraded transmission (push button),...

No, I don't think they ever offered the push-button mode select for 1.5 cars. I have seen 2.5 looking body work and wheels on a car with the 1.5 shift lever...
You can look inside any Roadster and know right away if it is a 1.5 (or not) if it has the shift lever, and the tachometer (instead of kW meter) in the gauge cluster.

- - - Updated - - -

... You could also buy a later model charger...

The "charger" is part of the PEM, and I am fairly certain that they were NOT interchangeable. The PEM & Motor were changed substantially between 1.5s and 2.x cars.

Perhaps you meant EVSE / "Charging Station" / AC connector? Like the HPC & UMC... which should be backwards compatible.

1) How much is the Double DIN conversion?

Tesla service center quoted me about $5500 just for the labor - no parts. You have to cut the existing dash and part of a metal support frame. Then install the Double-DIN binnacle and new vents.

Al and Ed's in West Hollywood quoted me about $3000-$3500 for the labor.

I had it done via a very circuitous route and it cost me about $2000 + parts + labor. I wrote up the thread on it a few months ago. I went with a high end CarPlay compatible Pioneer AVIC-8000NEX head unit and that cost about $1000 alone. I also earlier added a backup camera. That's an additional expense. The 2.5 has a back-up camera and the 2.0 does not.

I think upgrading from 2.0 to 2.5 would require:

- New front and rear bumpers (no longer sold, but possible to get via salvage)
- Double-DIN upgrade to the dash and binnacle + new stereo + back up camera
- 2.5 forged wheels - black or silver
- I think the 2.5 seats are improved in some way as compared to 2.0/1.5, too. Not sure how easy it is to get seats.

I don't think the other upgrades are 2.5 specific but would include adjustable suspension, CF interior and exterior and Xenon headlights.

I don't think it's possible to convert 1.5 to 2.0/2.5 - e.g., I don't think it's possible to add a glovebox to the 1.5, among other differences already mentioned.

2) How much better is the 2.0 push button transmission compared to the 1.5 lever?

Not sure I understand as there is no benefit to the buttons aside from look. Both the lever and push buttons act as switches for driver/reverse/neutral. But the "transmission" or rather single speed gear reduction is identical. Think of it as replacing a lever light switch with a push button. Both simply turn on the light.

As a 1.5 owner, the shift lever is infinitely more satisfying to use IMO, but dhrivnak is correct, the push buttons functionally accomplish the exact same task.

According to internal engineering sources at Tesla, the 1.5's had a number of differences from the 2.0's- with the 2.5's mostly being small improvements from the 2.0's. Beyond what has been mentioned already, in the 1.5, despite the more spartan interiors, the parts quality is amazingly high. Everything down to the bolts is over engineered. Also, the charging ports are bonded to the chassis differently on the 1.5's than the 2.x. A few Tesla internal 2.0 and 2.5 have been retrofitted with (3D-printed) Model S charge port adaptors, but this was rumored to have been accomplished simply but pushing the original charge port deeper into the body work and attaching the custom built S adaptor onto it.

Thanks everyone. Very enlightening. Tesla sure doesn't make it easy to figure out what was available and when. I'm noticing that trend continuing full steam with the Model S! :)

Also, 1.5's didn't have back-up cameras, but they were available on 2.x That was a nice improvement.
I thought the Double DIN was only on 2.5? Where was the display screen on 2.0 for the backup camera if not the double DIN screen?

Cost to upgrade 1.5 -> 2.0 or 2.0 -> 2.5?

As a 1.5 owner, the shift lever is infinitely more satisfying to use IMO...
A few Tesla internal 2.0 and 2.5 have been retrofitted with (3D-printed) Model S charge port adaptors, but this was rumored to have been accomplished simply but pushing the original charge port deeper into the body work and attaching the custom built S adaptor onto it.
By "internal" do you mean Tesla-owned Roadsters (not privately owned) and Tesla figured out a way to add a Model S charge port to them and the charge port door still sits flush to the body when closed? Interesting, I didn't know that.
And yes as a 1.5 owner there is something satisfyingly "retro" about the stick gearshift even though I know it is really just a big switch lever. [emoji6] Also I don't have to look for it, I just feel it.

By "internal" do you mean Tesla-owned Roadsters (not privately owned) and Tesla figured out a way to add a Model S charge port to them and the charge port door still sits flush to the body when closed? Interesting, I didn't know that...

Probably the way to describe is that some engineers that work for Tesla did some experiments on their own personal roadsters.