Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2008 Roadster Air conditioning question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Sparrow

S105/ Roadster 189
Dec 14, 2010
Marietta, GA
I've recently purchased a used 2008 Roadster and today it was warm enough to try out the AC. I have seen the threads about how poorly the system can work, but I haven't seen anything concerning the issue I am seeing.

On my 30 miles trip back home today, I turned on the AC and it started working fine, but within 10 minutes the AC stopped working. I looked down to see that the Blue light had turned off so I turned it back on and started looking every so often. At one point I noticed that the Heater light turned on too, but the AC seemed to still be working fine with both lights on. I did not keep track of the combination of indicator lights turning on and off, but I also noticed at one point that the recirculation light had shutoff too. During the 30 mile drive and 45 minutes of driving, the AC light shutoff, three times. Is the car trying to telling me something is wrong with the AC or do I have some kind of electronic problem?

I turned on the AC and it started working fine, but within 10 minutes the AC stopped working.

Just thought I'd suggest this option: TM has previously indicated (can't remember reference) that battery temp takes priority over passenger cabin. Is it possible that the battery was getting warm and needed to cool down? If so, I believe cooling is shunted from the passenger cabin to the battery.

It was warm outside, in the upper 70s, but not hot and I was driving a steady 60 or so. Didn't really have to have the AC running, but thought I would test it, having heard how poorly it might perform. When the car shunts the AC to the batteries, does it shut the AC indicator light off on the console too? The problem I have with the theory it might be shunting the AC to the batteries, is that the AC came right back on in the cabin when I pushed the button back on. If it weren't for the fact that the heater indicator turned on at one time too, I'd guess there was something wrong with the AC itself, but since other indicators are involved, I'm guessing it is an electronic problem too.

Assuming the AC works like an ICE car (just w/ an electrically driven compressor instead of mechanically off the drive belt) I would first take it to a local shop that does car HVAC work and have them make sure there's enough refrigerant in the system. If that's low the compressor will turn itself off. It's at least something cheap to check before you go down the primrose path...

Just thought I'd suggest this option: TM has previously indicated (can't remember reference) that battery temp takes priority over passenger cabin. Is it possible that the battery was getting warm and needed to cool down? If so, I believe cooling is shunted from the passenger cabin to the battery.

If this were the case, the blue light would not have turned off. Also the cabin AC does not completely stop working when it diverts cooling to the battery - it just is much less effective.

The blue light turning off makes me think there's some sort of problem there that should be looked at.