Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remanufactured rev. B battery pack and Supercharging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2012 CPO S85 came with a remanufactured rev. B battery pack (part number: 1025273-01-B). Is it possible to determine based on the part number whether this battery will be limited to 90kw charging versus 120kw charging at the supercharger? I'm assuming the A versus B (or greater) method for determining 90/120kw supercharging capability is limited to new battery packs only? I've attached a picture of the battery label.

battery label.jpg

The part number determines whether it's refurbished or not.

See Battery table - Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum for more details.

You're correct in that revision numbers are specific to part numbers.

Zextraterrestrial, joer00, and wycolo all confirmed that their rev B 85 kWh refurbished packs, 1025273-01-B, did the higher rate when SC'ing (see the table).

(Interesting that you can see where the original old sticker was located, likely from the new pack. I would have assumed they'd repaint the case when refurbishing...)

The part number determines whether it's refurbished or not.

See Battery table - Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum for more details.

You're correct in that revision numbers are specific to part numbers.

Zextraterrestrial, joer00, and wycolo all confirmed that their rev B 85 kWh refurbished packs, 1025273-01-B, did the higher rate when SC'ing (see the table).

(Interesting that you can see where the original old sticker was located, likely from the new pack. I would have assumed they'd repaint the case when refurbishing...)

Thanks! I stumbled across that table after posting my question above. Hopefully this means that my battery pack can take advantage of the 120kw supercharging as well.

If you have a B pack, regardless of how it's a B pack, I'd expect you should have 120 kW Supercharging.

Just a nit: that's not true as an absolute, because revision letters are specific to the part number. There could be a rev J of one part number that is less capable than rev A of another subsequent part number. For example, the current 70D packs are on rev B but are the functional equivalent to the 85D packs on rev E.

What you say is true in a relative sense because we haven't seen any pack other than a rev A production 85 kWh pack (p/n 1014114) that does 90 kWh. There could very well be a pre-production part out there with a higher revision number that never made it to a production. My intent is to caution people that you cannot directly compare one pack model's revision with another.

Then, the 90D pack might start with rev A, which would make a lot of threads confusing.

I had a contacter failure and my original pack swapped for a remanufactured pack last year. The stickers on both batteries can be seen at the bottom of page 1 in this thread: 12V battery issue- stranded at Mt Shasta supercharger

based on the serial numbers, in its previous life your pack appears to have been built just a bit earlier than my original pack (Serial number T13B0006864)

For what it's worth, the new pack and old pack were both capable of supercharging at 120 kW.

Minor point--my 2013 S85 has a Rev B pack, as does my wife's new S70D. They can't be the same pack (85 vs. 70). Wonder what's going on 'under the hood'

The 85 kWh and 70 kWh packs are different part numbers. As I said above, rev B on the 70D pack is functionally equivalent to rev E on the 85 kWh pack.

You cannot compare revision numbers on different types of battery packs. You also cannot compare revision numbers on refurbished packs vs. new packs. Revision letters are specific to part numbers (e.g., a new pack is 1014114-YY-Z and a refurbished 85 pack is 1025273-YY-Z, and you cannot compare the 'Z' on both part numbers. Rev B on a 60 pack is different than rev B on an 85 pack is different than rev B on a 85D pack is different than rev B on a 70D pack.

- - - Updated - - -

Where do you find the part number for the battery?

Turn your wheels to the left and look just behind the front right wheel for the battery sticker.

Off topic: They sure did go thru quite a few Revs in recent months (E, F, B). It was all just easier when it was:

60: A B
85: A B C D

D packs were in production for seemingly a very long time without further modifications. Wonder why there was all of a sudden an onslaught of variants when the dual motors were announced.

The dual motor requires a lot of additional power at the front motor, plus P85D draws a huge amount of power from the battery under acceleration. These mean extra power connectors are probably at the front of the pack for the motor, DC-DC, HVAC, etc.