Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

recent update, bass and mids are just... gone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

After the recent update to my older base S85 (non tech, non sound), I feel like I've lost a lot of punch and depth from my entire system. I first noticed when I was on the freeway, I turn up to a fairly high volume to hear at least the rhythm of the music, but it just wasn't doin it. Kept an ear to it the next few days and was convinced something was seriously lacking in my bass and mid ranges. I turned on songs I know hit harder on those ranges and I get subpar performance. I've tried rebooting, I've tried equalizing at the source (spotify) and the car (+12 to all nodes), and still nothing.

Is anyone getting a similar problem? Any suggestions?

Hey all,

After the recent update to my older base S85 (non tech, non sound), I feel like I've lost a lot of punch and depth from my entire system. I first noticed when I was on the freeway, I turn up to a fairly high volume to hear at least the rhythm of the music, but it just wasn't doin it. Kept an ear to it the next few days and was convinced something was seriously lacking in my bass and mid ranges. I turned on songs I know hit harder on those ranges and I get subpar performance. I've tried rebooting, I've tried equalizing at the source (spotify) and the car (+12 to all nodes), and still nothing.

Is anyone getting a similar problem? Any suggestions?

Wouldn't setting all the knobs to +12 be a flat curve equal to bumping the volume up?

Wouldn't setting all the knobs to +12 be a flat curve equal to bumping the volume up?

It would increase the volume for sure, but it would likely introduce distortion from the equalizer being overloaded and the response would be anything but flat. In general, EQ's are better used to take away undesirable frequency ranges than to add or enhance others. The Tesla EQ is only three bands, so it functions more like a tone control than an EQ.

Personally, I would set it flat at the volume I usually listened at and use the EQ to slightly enhance or remove bass, midrange or high frequencies to suit your ear - typically 3-6db max, unless you are looking for an effect rather than balanced sound.

I have the upgraded audio system. Just pushing all of the equalizer sliders up doesn't improve the sound at all. In fact, if you push mid-bass and treble to the same level as the bass slider, it will feel like your bass is lacking. Also, changing the fade settings negatively impacts the quality of sound, especially bass. My equalizer settings are pretty simple... bass is at +4.5, treble is flat, and mid-bass is at +2. Sounds great!

Sorry to throw everyone off on this one. I was simply saying that I've tried various EQ settings, as extreme as +12 to all, and not noticed a real change in bass or mids. Typically I run +8 +2 +6. What it REALLY sounds like, as of late, is that my back speakers are producing damn near nothing. I need to confirm later today but that was a hypothesis i came up with on my drive to work.

Sorry to throw everyone off on this one. I was simply saying that I've tried various EQ settings, as extreme as +12 to all, and not noticed a real change in bass or mids. Typically I run +8 +2 +6. What it REALLY sounds like, as of late, is that my back speakers are producing damn near nothing. I need to confirm later today but that was a hypothesis i came up with on my drive to work.

I think I agree, something is messed up. It doesn't sound like it used to.

Upon realization that I was missing something musically I too found my equalizer was all 0's. Scratched my head and wondered if the equalizer setting was part of the driver preferences same as seat position and temperature. Didn't explore that at the time. What I did find was the need for distinctively different settings if the volume is set to 3 than for the volume set to 7. Have need of an old fashioned "loudness" button which boosts bass nonlinearly depending on the volume setting.