Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

U.S. Right-Wing Conservatives Attitudes Towards Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Skotty

2014 S P85 | 2023 F-150L
Jun 27, 2013
Kansas City, MO
There has been a vocal bunch of U.S. right wing conservative voices online who have been very anti-Tesla.

For those of you with a lot of right wing conservative friends, would you say this vocal bunch we see online are outliers who don't reflect the more common right wing conservative disposition towards Tesla?

And is there any reason for such folks to be anti-Tesla other than simple EV hating for the sake of EV hating, with perhaps some short sellers mixed in?

The more I think about it, the more it seems right wing conservatives in the U.S. should like Tesla motors. Here's a company that's a leader in innovation in the United States, building cars in America powered by American fuel, generating American jobs. Yes there is some green agenda, but it is being undertaken through entirely capitalistic processes of building good products and selling them to consumers. Most of the money comes from consumers and investors. Most of the arguably limited government benefits come from the California ZEV program by selling ZEV credits to other automakers and things like tax abatements for the Gigafactory. The former is quite frankly doing other automakers a favor, while the latter is a smaller company (compared to other automakers) taking advantage of tax breaks, the exact kind of thing conservatives are always arguing in favor of. The Supercharger charging infrastructure is entirely Tesla funded. Their biggest legal battles to date have been against the dealership model of business -- a model of business that relies on government regulations that restrict free commerce. Again, Tesla seems to be on the side of conservative right wing philosophy. Right wing philosophy likes leaders who work hard and invest their own wealth to build a business, exactly as Elon has done. I really don't see anything not to like.

I often feel very cautious about discussing my appreciation and interest in Tesla with conservative friends and coworkers out of fear they may respond in negative relationship straining ways. Perhaps this concern is misplaced.

There has been a vocal bunch of U.S. right wing conservative voices online who have been very anti-Tesla...
I have a few politically extremely conservative US friends. Among them are three Tesla owners. It may be true that most Tesla owners are not in that category. I do not know. However, I do think the appeal of Tesla and Elon Musk too, for that matter, are not directly related to any particular political view, except the anti-immigrant one that might object to Elon Musk because he was South Africa born and has taken jobs from Americans. I have no clue how anybody could make such a claim but in reality-free-opinion zones it certainly is plausible that someone would make the argument. Just imagine: Boeing and Lockheed have lots jobs because of SpaceX stealing launches from them. US high end luxury cars have lost sales to the foreign-born egoist-managed car company, after all it's not American anyway, the batteries are made by a Japanese company! and so on...

For those of you with a lot of right wing conservative friends, would you say this vocal bunch we see online are outliers who don't reflect the more common right wing conservative disposition towards Tesla?

Don't over generalize, and don't believe everything you read online! :smile: All of my conservative friends are VERY impressed with and pro Tesla!

There has been a vocal bunch of U.S. right wing conservative voices online who have been very anti-Tesla.

And is there any reason for such folks to be anti-Tesla other than simple EV hating for the sake of EV hating, with perhaps some short sellers mixed in?

The more I think about it, the more it seems right wing conservatives in the U.S. should like Tesla motors. Here's a company that's a leader in innovation in the United States, building cars in America powered by American fuel, generating American jobs. Yes there is some green agenda, but it is being undertaken through entirely capitalistic processes of building good products and selling them to consumers. Most of the money comes from consumers and investors. Most of the arguably limited government benefits come from the California ZEV program by selling ZEV credits to other automakers and things like tax abatements for the Gigafactory. The former is quite frankly doing other automakers a favor, while the latter is a smaller company (compared to other automakers) taking advantage of tax breaks, the exact kind of thing conservatives are always arguing in favor of. The Supercharger charging infrastructure is entirely Tesla funded. Their biggest legal battles to date have been against the dealership model of business -- a model of business that relies on government regulations that restrict free commerce. Again, Tesla seems to be on the side of conservative right wing philosophy. Right wing philosophy likes leaders who work hard and invest their own wealth to build a business, exactly as Elon has done. I really don't see anything not to like.

I often feel very cautious about discussing my appreciation and interest in Tesla with conservative friends and coworkers out of fear they may respond in negative relationship straining ways. Perhaps this concern is misplaced.

I am what you would probably call a right wing conservative (I think the "right wing" part is meant to create some sort of preconceived notion, but such is the state of discourse these days). I only speak for myself, a two-time Tesla owner (P85 and P85D), but my issue with Tesla, and think this is true of many other conservatives, has to do with the politics behind the type of energy Tesla vehicles use. I.e., we have problems with the zealotry of certain global warming/climate change/whatever-it's-called-today activism.

In other words, Tesla is seen as part of this attempt to use global warming to grab ever increasing levels of power (political and regulatory, not energy power) to advance left wing political agendas.

Take a look through this forum and you'll see how many people conflate Tesla with the global warming agenda...and that explains why many conservatives have issues with Tesla.

Ignorance doesn't have a political affiliation, but it would appear that a certain sub-set of Conservatives tend to relish in theirs.

I have found that many of my Liberal friends are also inclined to dogmatism when it comes to their left wing inclinations as well. I find it humorous to watch Liberals tar Conservatives with the "ignorance" brush and then see Conservatives do the same to Liberals.

Oil Warrior: Former CIA chief James Woolsey says if you want to beat Bin Laden, buy a Prius

Oil Warrior: This man ran the CIA, fought the Cold War, and averted nuclear Armageddon. Now he says that if you want to beat Bin Laden, buy a Prius

From the May 2007 issue of Motor Trend

Robert James Woolsey Jr. – Jim to his friends – isn't your typical Prius driver. /...

Source: James Woolsey - Interview - Motor Trend All Pages
I wonder what car he would plug today...

Take a look through this forum and you'll see how many people conflate Tesla with the global warming agenda...and that explains why many conservatives have issues with Tesla.
I agree with the first part of the sentence, but none of my conservative friends and acquaintances seem to have a problem with Tesla. In fact only a few weeks ago i was listening to two of my Tesla-owner friends insisting that global warming is not fact. I do think it is odd that so many people do not understand science, and that some of the loudest voices are conservative ones, although no political views are immune to aggressive ignorance. My own views are not easy for anybody to typecast although some do try to do so. Oddly, as a dual-citizen, I vote in two countries elections since I am a legal resident in both countries also. In one I would be typecast as a left-wing-liberal, while in the other I would be typecast as a neo-fascist.

It is sad that in many countries including the US especially, to win primary contests extremism wins Super PAC's and votes. Once elected radicalism keep the money flowing.

All I want to do is enjoy my Tesla, discuss taht subject here, and keep politics out of it except when politics can help the EV propagation process.

I have a quite even mix of friends, and ranges from extremely successful businessmen to very relaxed retirees. I've found a very even spread of pro and con among all of them, for a variety of reasons.

The interesting thing, though, has been the so-called free-market Republican friends of mine that are associated with car dealerships. Their hypocrisy about the free market has been amazing. The are COMPLETELY anti-Tesla because it messes with their business model. A disruptive force that, although free market, eats at their top line (or so they infer). These are the same folks that are anti-Uber because the disruption they cause to the taxi industry. I find that people are all pro-business and free market, right up until it gets in their way.

But other than that, I have people from the entire spectrum that do not like Tesla and adore the Tesla. Kind of like this board ;)

Tesla (and EV) attackers seem to be EVERYWHERE online. However, when talking to people IRL, I seem to encounter very few of them.

While there is a very vocal right-wing anti-Tesla group, there are plenty of left-wing attackers as well. People that feel that EVs are taking attention away from bicycles and buses (or the mythical water-powered car). Or ones that feel no car should cost over $20k.

I find it interesting that the left-wing attackers are often given a voice by right-wing blogs.

Years ago, when I'd track down the source of attacks, they were usually proponents of other alternative technologies (i.e., executives of power-dense hybrid battery company, diesel or ethanol proponents, etc). I only found oil company funding behind one. These days, Tesla attacks mostly seem to come from those shorting the stock. That is largely supposition, but if you compare the quality of Tesla articles in financial versus non-financial media, it sure looks like that is the case. (Mind you, some of the pro-Tesla articles in financial media are pretty one-sided and over the top too).

The online comments that are everywhere are too similar, and posted too soon, and too out of touch with what I hear from the public for me to think they are genuine. I think there are a small number of people out there somewhere targeting Tesla. I have no idea what their motivation is, though.

I hope this was clear from what I wrote, but just in case: most conservatives I talk to are pretty intrigued by Tesla. I think the haters are just a vocal minority; and they don't belong exclusively to the right wing. I think this is a media-driven myth where what "everybody knows" is endlessly repeated by journalists that have done no research - and that is how it becomes what "everybody knows". Similar to the idea that only deep green left-wingers are interested in EVs.

.../ If your argument consists of "the science is settled", I know three things about you: (1) you don't understand science; (2) you're afraid of being challenged and/or can't defend your positions and (3) you're dangerously similar to a religious zealot. [Eclectic's signature (My edit.)]

You do know the SOLE reason why Elon Musk got involved in Tesla is Man-Made Global Warming.

Right?

Source: 22 seconds of video starting at 2:29 below.

Last edited by a moderator:

The scary thing is that Internet trolls are also real-life trolls.

I have conservative friends who don't reflect that online position, however, all my conservative friends also think Donald Trump is a nutjob, but he is leading in the polls... so maybe I just don't know the people who are representative of the true Republican party at the moment.

So I think the vocal bunch you see online might indeed be the representative majority :(.

I have found that many of my Liberal friends are also inclined to dogmatism when it comes to their left wing inclinations as well.

It's certainly true that for every Donald Trump there is a Michael Moore, but Michael Moore isn't leading any polls.

You do know the SOLE reason why Elon Musk got involved in Tesla is Man-Made Global Warming.

Right?

Source: 22 seconds of video starting at 2:29 below.

I bet making money had a lot to do with it. Go ask Al Gore about how much money can be made on global warming. The fact that Musk has a parallel business of shooting emissions-spewing rockets through the atmosphere tends to support this...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a couple right wingnut friends on Facebook - doesn't everybody? Might even be in the TOS - but they're pro-Tesla. I've enlightened a few about Musk & subsidies.

Offline, my CEO, 100% of my fellow executives & to the best of my knowledge our entire board is Republican. Every one of those folks think the Model S is awesome, and a couple are likely future owners.

FWIW, I don't contribute if politics comes up.

I bet making money had a lot to do with it. Go ask Al Gore about how much money can be made on global warming. The fact that Musk has a parallel business of shooting emissions-spewing rockets through the atmosphere tends to support this...

Elon did not create Telsa Motors to make "cool" cars. You seem to not understand the core philosophy of the company. So you can either go read more about why Elon wants to move to sustainable transportation or you can go play with your "cool" car and be clueless.

Elon did not create Telsa Motors to make "cool" cars. You seem to not understand the core philosophy of the company. So you can either go read more about why Elon wants to move to sustainable transportation or you can go play with your "cool" car and be clueless.

The problem with your comment (other than the fact that it's a personal attack on me) is that Tesla is a for profit corporation, and a public one at that. Had Musk truly had something other than profit as his motivation he would have made the company a non-profit with a purpose as you state. Furthermore, Musk didn't "create" Tesla Motors. The company was founded by two individuals who are not named Elon Musk. Musk came in later as an investor.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, it couldn’t possibly be because the science is indeed settled – could it?

Source: The 97% consensus on global warming | Getting skeptical about global warming skepticism

Like my signature line says...

Like my signature line says...
Your signature line is just your own personal opinion. It proves nothing.

- - - Updated - - -

The problem with your comment /.../ is that Tesla is a for profit corporation, and a public one at that. Had Musk truly had something other than profit as his motivation he would have made the company a non-profit with a purpose as you state. /...
What part of the 22 seconds above where Elon explicitly tells you why he got involved in Tesla (Post #12) is it that you find questionable?

Last edited: