Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How I completed a Houston - Austin destination day trip with no destination charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would suggest next time you charge to 100% at home overnight, then you will spend a few minutes less at the supercharger and make your meeting with more than a minute to spare.
Also the Mexican restaurant next to the supercharger is good, or Nancy's across the street, if you're there at lunch or dinner time. Anything but McDonalds!
Not even a 120V outlet at your office building or garage that you could use?

I would suggest next time you charge to 100% at home overnight, then you will spend a few minutes less at the supercharger and make your meeting with more than a minute to spare.

This is something I didn't learn until a few weeks in. I, too, had the same thought process in the beginning. Since I'm sort of conditioned to not range charge unless absolutely necessary, I didn't on one of my first "road trips" to DFW and back on a day trip, which needed a chademo charge. Only while sitting and charging at the chademo did I realize, wow, I should've put on every mile I could have before I left, because that is how much quicker I can leave this charger and make it home. From that point forward, I always range charge when I know I'll have to be charging on the road. Every mile that is already on the pack is less time spent charging on the road.

Great write up Robert.

Also the Mexican restaurant next to the supercharger is good, or Nancy's across the street, if you're there at lunch or dinner time. Anything but McDonalds!
Not even a 120V outlet at your office building or garage that you could use?
To put it nicely, that is definitely not the best McDonalds I have visited. I may try the Subway across the street next time when I want a bite. If I have more time, I will try Nancy's or the Mexican restaurant. Thanks for the tips.

Good tip on range charging at home even when not needed for the full trip. I have wanted to balance my battery pack so this is a good excuse to do it.

Another Houstonian here with frequent Austin business.
I haven't tried the McDonalds yet, have had several good snacks and meals at Los Cabos... Mmmm stuffed avocado.... but if I duck in to the Comfort Inn around breakfast time, they just don't let me leave without having some coffee and food. The staff loves Tesla owners! I always say Hi to these nice people and it makes for a nicer trip.