Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Painfully crowded and slow charging on I5 between LA and SF

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If they'd just put one in Fresno near 99, 41, and 168, it would take a lot of load off of Harris and make it so I don't have to cut all the way over to 5 every time I go to LA.
Last time I was at Harris, they'd just added 4 portable superchargers. Those were all full too?

It only says 2 hours or whatever it is until the guy who was there before you on the other side of the pair tapers off. It didn't actually take you two hours, right?

Gilroy has 12 chargers and it had 10 people charging.

Tejon has 6 of the early chargers and there was a 2 car wait.

Harris had 4 portable chargers along with the 6 that are there and there was a 2 car wait and a constant flow of people.

Never waited over last few years. Maybe I just travel off peak.

Bingo. Timing is key. Which is why Tesla really needs to show us historical data from SpC so it takes the guesswork out as to when to depart/arrive.

The 2016 map at Supercharger | Tesla Motors appears to indicate Superchargers in the Fresno and Bakersfield areas.
Regardless, with growing numbers of Tesla's in California, Harris Ranch and Tejon need more Supercharger stations.
NOTE: I edited the title of this thread to clarify the region of concern.

It's crazy that Tejon only has 6.

What they really need to do is have real time usage prediction and wait times based on:

1) Past history (although as the population increases drastically, they'd need to adjust for this).
2) How many are currently using the SC's.
3) If full, how many are waiting - identified by how many Teslas have arrived at that location and have not charged yet and need a charge.
4) How many other Teslas are currently navigating to that supercharger location.
5) ICE detection - superchargers that are not being used when there are cars waiting to charge or even better a way for users to mark ICEd on the nav system by entering the stall number. For stalls that have signs that clearly specify ONLY Teslas, these events should be dispatched to a real time management team that calls for a tow truck to initiate de-icing.

Then there needs to be some sort of management that kicks in when things get crowded such as virtual number assignment when in route and along with that suggestions by the nav system to go slower if going faster won't make any difference. That way you arrive with more charge, couldn't have charged any sooner even if you'd driven faster, and therefore won't need as long of a charge when you finally do charge meaning the system will be utilized more efficiently.

Also, a display which shows how long someone has been charging and at what rate, because while we were waiting, a couple people would leave, but then without knowing how long the other person was there we probably choose poorly to the person who just arrived as well.

Some people probably don't understand the taper that well. In future, having some better way to encourage people to vacate the charger earlier when it knows they have enough charge to make it to their next charging destination would be helpful. Having the system know who is waiting and their SoC and letting both cars know when it makes sense for the queue to move would be good. Tesla doesn't have any queuing mechanism for waiting cars does it?

Some people probably don't understand the taper that well. In future, having some better way to encourage people to vacate the charger earlier when it knows they have enough charge to make it to their next charging destination would be helpful.
That's what the range assurance/navigation was supposed to do, but people don't trust it, with good reason.
The notification on the iPhone app when reaching 80% charge is a helpful reminder that it's time to go unless you really need more, but it doesn't push people to move on who don't understand the taper. Many new owners are still in "fill 'er up" mode from their ICE. Maybe the app notification at 80% should add "charging will be really slow from now on"?
I haven't been to a supercharger since the iPhone app was updated a few days ago to show charge time remaining when supercharging, but if it just shows time to 100% without explanation that will make the problem worse. Has anyone seen how the app displays this info now?

Doing the LA SF stops at Tejon, Harris, Gilroy and all chargers have been full and saying 2 hours to charge....Painful... Sadly it's only going to get worse and this isn't a holiday weekend either.

You mean you plugged in at each of them and your car indicated 2 hours to charge?
Did you speak to other people who were seeing the same thing?
Have you plugged in at any others?

Personally I would like to see OpenTable for superchargers. And Tesla knows all the info needed about state of charge and destination and could easily load balance or tell you which charger to line up for. They could even deny ad hoc charging for a set of chargers that have confirmed reservation.

I haven't been to a supercharger since the iPhone app was updated a few days ago to show charge time remaining when supercharging, but if it just shows time to 100% without explanation that will make the problem worse. Has anyone seen how the app displays this info now?

The app displays how long before you reach your charge limit, so if it's set to 100%, it'll show you how long it'll take to reach that (a long time!).

I drove back from L.A. yesterday, and these were my stops:

Hawthorne: 1 other car charging. Got a quick charge for the drive to Tejon.
Tejon Ranch: All 6 stalls occupied when I arrived, and I was first in line. Two others showed up within 5 minutes of me. I waited less than 5 minutes for a spot to open up. Went to get some yogurt. 2nd car that came in after me waited about 15 minutes. I was done after 20 minutes.
Harris Ranch: 3 stalls occupied when I arrived (around 5pm). Plugged in and went to the store. When I came out not too long after, 9 of 10 stalls occupied.
Manteca: 2 of 8 stalls occupied. Nobody left when charging was done.

The app displays how long before you reach your charge limit, so if it's set to 100%, it'll show you how long it'll take to reach that (a long time!).

In that case, if the charge limit is set to 100% it would be helpful for the app to show time to 100% charge and also time to 90 or 95% charge, so people can see how long it will take for the few extra miles and they probably won't wait unless they need it. Just showing the time to 100% charge if that's what the car is set for won't do anything to educate them that the "fill 'er up" mindset isn't appropriate for travel with supercharging.

I drove from Portland back to Fresno down Interstate 5 Saturday afternoon and arrived Sunday afternoon. Saturday afternoon Woodburn had 5 charging when I arrived, two more arrived shortly after me, and I had "sloppy seconds;" there were no unpaired stalls. Springfield had only one other charging. When I arrived at Grants Pass around six Saturday evening, I took the last open slot (4 total), and someone arrived two minutes after me.

Sunday morning around 8:30, 3/4 stalls at Mt. Shasta City were taken 10 minutes after I arrived. I arrived at Corning around 11:00 to an empty house, but within 15 minutes 4 more drivers showed up. Finally, Manteca had 5 charging when I arrived (more sloppy seconds) and three more showed up during my 40-minute charge (some had left in the interim.)

So, based on this very limited sample it seems that the Interstate 5 is getting busier and busier even outside the Los Angeles and San Francisco Bay Area corridor.

Weekend travel seems to be becoming more popular than ever! It is a good problem for Tesla to have, but we just have to be patient that they will be able to increase stalls at existing locations and even install new locations to spread out the usage.

Also, a bullet-proof trip planner would likely reduce charging times by 5-15 minutes for new owners and infrequent travelers who consistently over charge their batteries in order to reach their next stop. That too would decrease the wait times and increase turnover.

A push notification on the crappy android app would be nice.

- - - Updated - - -

I drove from Portland back to Fresno down Interstate 5 Saturday afternoon and arrived Sunday afternoon. Saturday afternoon Woodburn had 5 charging when I arrived, two more arrived shortly after me, and I had "sloppy seconds;" there were no unpaired stalls. Springfield had only one other charging. When I arrived at Grants Pass around six Saturday evening, I took the last open slot (4 total), and someone arrived two minutes after me.

Sunday morning around 8:30, 3/4 stalls at Mt. Shasta City were taken 10 minutes after I arrived. I arrived at Corning around 11:00 to an empty house, but within 15 minutes 4 more drivers showed up. Finally, Manteca had 5 charging when I arrived (more sloppy seconds) and three more showed up during my 40-minute charge (some had left in the interim.)

So, based on this very limited sample it seems that the Interstate 5 is getting busier and busier even outside the Los Angeles and San Francisco Bay Area corridor.

Weekend travel seems to be becoming more popular than ever! It is a good problem for Tesla to have, but we just have to be patient that they will be able to increase stalls at existing locations and even install new locations to spread out the usage.

Also, a bullet-proof trip planner would likely reduce charging times by 5-15 minutes for new owners and infrequent travelers who consistently over charge their batteries in order to reach their next stop. That too would decrease the wait times and increase turnover.

We also just drove to Portland and back. Stalls were never full but always had sloppy seconds :) The one exception was the one just south of wood burn at the Holiday Inn. The only other cars there were ICEs which were parked in the stalls that said Teslas only.

In that case, if the charge limit is set to 100% it would be helpful for the app to show time to 100% charge and also time to 90 or 95% charge, so people can see how long it will take for the few extra miles and they probably won't wait unless they need it. Just showing the time to 100% charge if that's what the car is set for won't do anything to educate them that the "fill 'er up" mindset isn't appropriate for travel with supercharging.

The android app first displays how long it will be before you have enough charge to make it to your next destination. A a minute or so after that it says you have enough charge to reach your next destination. After a while, it changes to how much more charging you have until you reach your charge limit.

When a space opened up, I noticed the slow charge at Tejon and at Harris.

At Tejon, I saw two people come out to check on their cars and appear frustrated as well, because they were not done and went back to what they were doing.

I believe Tejon is an early charger with only 90kw, along with only 6 stalls, there were 2 people who had to wait at least 10 minutes before someone left.

You mean you plugged in at each of them and your car indicated 2 hours to charge?
Did you speak to other people who were seeing the same thing?
Have you plugged in at any others?