Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Should Provide Free CHAdeMO adapters to Businesses Offering Free Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Andyw2100

Oct 22, 2014
Ithaca, NY
Now that Tesla has the CHAdeMO adapter available, I think it makes sense for them to offer one free adapter to businesses that offer free CHAdeMO charging, in a program similar to the Destination Charging program. In the Destination Charging program, Tesla provides one or more HPWCs in exchange for the business paying to install them and paying for the electricity. The CHAdeMO adapters cost less, and the CHAdeMO chargers charge faster. The business is already paying for the electricity. So if the Destination Charging program makes sense, and I think it does, then I think the idea of giving away some CHAdeMO adapters also makes sense.

There is already a thread dedicated to people lending each other CHAdeMO adapters here:

CHAdeMO Adapter Sharing ZeeMap

And people in some of the referral threads are talking about using the money from referrals to pay for CHAdeMO adapters and then donating those adapters. It was from one of those posts that I came up with this idea, as frankly I did not realize there were a lot of businesses providing free CHAdeMO charging.

Tesla owners who will have frequent need of CHAdeMO chargers obviously should just buy a CHAdeMO adapter. But there is clearly some need for rare or occasional use, as evidenced by the CHAdeMO lending thread. I really think it would be a good idea for Tesla to look into giving away some CHAdeMO adapters, under the right circumstances.

I agree that an adapter "stationed" at a free, convenient station is many times more useful than one that spends 99% of the time "frunk-locked."
I'm one of the referral donation people, maybe the only one so far, and I have chosen Rouses Market in New Orleans, LA as a recipient if I can get a taker on my code. They seem really Tesla-friendly per the PlugShare reviews.

Rick (aka "Rick3466")

Last edited:
I agree that an adapter "stationed" at a free, convenient station is many times more useful than one that spends 99% of the time "frunk-locked."
I'm one of the referral donation people, maybe the only one so far, and I have chosen Rouses Market in New Orleans, LA as a recipient if I can get a taker on my code. They seem really Tesla-friendly per the PlugShare reviews.

It was your post that gave me the idea.

[emoji4]
We have thru October to use referrals to "make Tesla provide free adapters."

I actually found a Nissan dealer with a free, after-hours-available CHAdeMO and a good attitude - Temple TX. Bit close to Waco SC though.

And... ATC Drivetrain North was someplace I thought would be a good location, even before the Referral promo... but the OKC Supercharger opened.

It makes a lot of sense, but the CHAdeMO equipped businesses (Are there any businesses other than Nissan dealers that have them?--not talking about public charging locations, SunCountry, or similar, just actual businesses with CHAdeMO installed.) will have to have a procedure checking them in and out.

... will have to have a procedure checking them in and out.

Like, holding your Keyfob during your session. Yeah.

edit: In case of a really desirable location, with super-limited hours, or unwilling to keep an adapter behind the counter, I was entertaining the thought of locking the adapter in a locker or box with a combination. It's all these years of GeoCaching experience coming out perhaps.

Last edited:
It makes a lot of sense, but the CHAdeMO equipped businesses (Are there any businesses other than Nissan dealers that have them?--not talking about public charging locations, SunCountry, or similar, just actual businesses with CHAdeMO installed.) will have to have a procedure checking them in and out.

The place that SW2Fiddler mentioned--Rouses Market in New Orleans--has one, and is open 24 X 7, assuming SW2Fiddler's information is correct. I was piggybacking off his idea of donating one. Whether individuals donate them or Tesla does wouldn't matter, as either way there needs to be a method in place to check them in and out. I was thinking something along the lines of leaving your driver's license and possibly a credit card, but I guess some people may be unwilling to do that. I think that should be a relatively simple hurdle to overcome for a business open 24 X 7.

edit: In case of a really desirable location, with super-limited hours, or unwilling to keep an adapter behind the counter, I was entertaining the thought of locking the adapter in a locker or box with a combination. It's all these years of GeoCaching experience coming out perhaps.

I'm really not sure how this could work, as a Tesla owner given the combination could still make off with the adapter, if that was his or her intention. I think the adapter would probably have to only be available during the hours the business was open. Whatever notes Tesla includes with the information about the charging location, assuming they started including this info the way they include destination charging info, would have to include the location's hours of operation when the adapter would be available, as well as additional hours, if appropriate, when CHAdeMO charging was available, but only if you brought your own adapter.

This seems like too much of a burden for the business hosting a CHAdeMO station (such as Rouses Market, to use this example). It's enough that they have to keep the station operating, which seems to be an issue if you read the comments on Plugshare. We should be thankful for businesses that host stations, and even more thankful that when they're free, without expecting them to manage an adapter for us. CHAdeMO use should be BYOA (bring your own adapter).

This seems like too much of a burden for the business hosting a CHAdeMO station (such as Rouses Market, to use this example). It's enough that they have to keep the station operating, which seems to be an issue if you read the comments on Plugshare. We should be thankful for businesses that host stations, and even more thankful that when they're free, without expecting them to manage an adapter for us. CHAdeMO use should be BYOA (bring your own adapter).

We could, hopefully, make it worth their while. For example, people who needed to borrow the adapter would, I'd hope, make sure to purchase things. And perhaps it could become customary for those people to tip the person working the sign out log a few bucks. If the business knew that managing this free adapter was going to mean both more business, and some tip money in some of their employees' pockets, for what would amount to a trivial amount of work once a system was in place, I would hope they would be amenable to the idea.

The place that SW2Fiddler mentioned--Rouses Market in New Orleans--has one, and is open 24 X 7, assuming SW2Fiddler's information is correct. I was piggybacking off his idea of donating one. .

The CHAdeMO station is 24/7, but Rouses' published store hours are 6Am to midnight.

I've reached out to Jeremy, their manager, thru PlugShare to see if they would be amenable to even considering it.

Owners absconding with the adapter: PlugShare contact info, such as with private plugs, could be online so a combination would be conveyed verbally and the borrower known I suppose. Good discussion.

We have a 50kW CHAdeMO/CCS as well as an 80A HPWC and 75A J-1772. They are all free and we have an adaptor available free during business hours.
Because we are located just west of Milwaukee off I-94 they are getting used frequently. It probably helps that they are always working too.
PlugShare - EV Charging Station Map - Find the nearest location to charge your electric car!

That makes a lot of sense, but are there really free Chademo stations available? I've never seen one.

All of that just because Tesla stubbornly refuses to support any common standard. They had to do their own thing. Twice already (Roadster plug). At least in Europe Tesla comes with a commonly used plug.
Not sure how this applies to DC charging. You can make a case about the Roadster not using the J1772 given the specs are largely the same (although it was not ready yet by the time the Roadster came out), however, I don't see how CHAdeMO applies. As a standard it is a horrible one for Tesla to adopt. The power levels are much lower, it's huge, and it can only do DC charging.

I'll once again point out that CHAdeMO was a completely closed proprietary standard while the Model S was being developed. It didn't become a Japanese standard until late 2012 and an international IEC standard until 2014.

Even in Europe, the Tesla socket doesn't work for CCS (which is the DC standard) and it also still needs an adapter for CHAdeMO.

All of that just because Tesla stubbornly refuses to support any common standard. They had to do their own thing. Twice already (Roadster plug). At least in Europe Tesla comes with a commonly used plug.

The current J1772-2009/2010 standard didn't even exist for the Roadster, and neither did the CCS-Combo series. Therefore, it would be a bit difficult for them to use, no? Yes, CHAdeMO existed, however the standard is currently designed for 200 amps (CCS is also 200 amp limited). The Tesla Supercharger already pump out 370 amps. CCS uses a patented communication method that neither Tesla Supercharger, nor CHAdeMO use (they both use common CAN bus messaging).

In addition, J1772 / Type 1 is limited to 30 amps (and still is worldwide), so Tesla petitioned the SAE to make US J1772 standard go up to 80 amps. Tesla has used this standard since the very first Roadster, with only a minor physical adaptor (no electronics) required for public non-Tesla AC charge stations.

I don't quite blame Tesla for forging ahead when everybody else was/is dragging their feet.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure how this applies to DC charging. You can make a case about the Roadster not using the J1772 given the specs are largely the same (although it was not ready yet by the time the Roadster came out), however, I don't see how CHAdeMO applies. As a standard it is a horrible one for Tesla to adopt. The power levels are much lower, it's huge, and it can only do DC charging.

Even in Europe, the Tesla socket doesn't work for CCS (which is the DC standard) and it also still needs an adapter for CHAdeMO.

There's absolutely no reason CHAdeMO could not be used for both AC and DC, as Tesla does already. A simple communication signaling DC / AC power, and the onboard relays would click to the onboard charger(s) for AC and directly to the battery for DC.

Those 200 amp pins and wires in CHAdeMO (and CCS) have no idea if they providing AC or DC, nor do they care.

I can't argue with the "huge plug" part, and the 200 amp limit is grossly short of Tesla. Tesla made the best decision by not hobbling their car to fit other lessor standards, particularly considering that those other standards were not widely deployed (or even fully designed).