Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Removing the bottom trim in the trunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

First, a bit of background. I had a stupid incident last week with my 2-month old car: I was transporting gasoline in a jerrycan last Wednesday (to help someone out, not for the MS obviously ;) While driving, I had to break a bit harder than usual because of a cyclist and it fell on the side. I had to continue driving for about 5 minutes before I could stop and put it back straight. Unfortunately, it turned out that the cap was bad and about a liter of gasoline spilled in the trunk, leaving a horrible smell that has driven me crazy ever since. And everyone making fun of me of course...

I brought it to a car dry cleaning the next morning: they took a lot of money but did not fix it really. It seemed to be OK at first but they probably only had masked the smell and it came back the next day.

So I decided to try to fix it myself and removed all the mats from the trunk. I have air dried them and left the car open as much as possible for the whole weekend. By now, the smell is nearly gone and I am about to put the mats back on.

Now, the question: one of the mats that goes vertically in the trunk is attached to the car with plastic fasteners that go behind the plastic bottom trim of the trunk: it was easy to remove by pulling it, however, I think I need to remove the plastic trim itself to put it back to get access to the holes for the fasteners. Any idea how to do this? I tried gently to pry it out but could not figure out how this is assembled. Below is the picture of the part I am trying to remove (the white stuff is baking soda to absorb the smell in case you are wondering...)

20150809_195038.jpg

Many thanks in advance

Thanks for offering your help. Below are 2 more pics taken from inside the trunk. I need to attach the mat under this plastic piece and to get access to the holes, I would like to remove it.
20150810_083354.jpg

20150810_083349.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

not sure what's happening, somehow the pics are upside down

Below is a hopefully clear picture of the plastic piece I want to remove to put the carpet back in place:
trunk.jpg

Darren, any advice how to do this? After a week of airing the car as much as possible (I am lucky it is the summer), the gasoline smell is almost gone and I will be putting the mats back in the coming days. Thank you!

I'd be interested too

I installed upgraded trunk lighting - in doing so, I had to pull the side mats out of the way

Now though, they don't seem to sit the same. I'm thinking the holes in the corner need to engage beneath the plastic panels - and obviously don't want to break anything

Thank you!

Many thanks for searching for this in the manuals, I really appreciate you tried to help out. I am going for a road trip tomorrow, so will be reseating the mats. I will just slide this one for now and will ask the SC guys how to do this properly when I install winter tires in a couple of months: it is a half day lost to go there from where I live, not worth it to get access to 2 holes for clips :).

Anyway, I am really relieved that the gas smell is finally gone after a week of keeping the windows down and the trunk open in the garage. I was freaking out for a couple of days last week afraid that it will stay forever. Won't be transporting another jerrycan for quite some time now... :)

Off topic question: if you pay to get access to the manuals, does it let you download? Or are you taking screenshots?

Last edited:
I guess according to Mass law, all car manufacturers have to make the service manual available to consumers. The access is $30 for an hour, $100 for 24 hrs, and 1000 for 1 month. You can view the manual but downloads are page by page. It does include routine service items, electrical, trim, audio, drivetrain, etc. Quite interesting , albeit expensive reading......