Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the location's where it seems to be from that address and Streetview, I can understand why people would be upset. There's really not much parking in that area, so any dedicated Tesla spots could be taking valuable parking away.

Maybe some local can say whether there's easy on-street parking available.

Is this new info?
Tesla’s research shows that each charging stop provides an average of $12 in revenue for the surrounding area, which would translate into more than $3,000 a month if Ukiah got 250 visits from Tesla drivers. Currently, she said Petaluma is seeing 1,000 visits a month, which would translate into $12,000.
On top of that, Riley said Electric Utility Director Mel Grandi estimated that the increased revenue to the city for electricity usage by Tesla’s customers, which the company would be paying for, could be up to $25,000 a year.

We need to start writing letters to the council members who voted against to help educate them. There can still be a lot of red tape along the way, further delaying the US 101 build-out. This "non-exclusive" parking condition for supercharger stalls is unrealistic. Let's be reasonable. This is Ukiah. I go there, and through there, regularly for work.

We aren't talking about the 8 stalls in front of the hottest dumpling/ice cream/coffee hipster joint in SF.

- K

We need to start writing letters to the council members who voted against to help educate them. There can still be a lot of red tape along the way, further delaying the US 101 build-out. This "non-exclusive" parking condition for supercharger stalls is unrealistic. Let's be reasonable. This is Ukiah. I go there, and through there, regularly for work.

We aren't talking about the 8 stalls in front of the hottest dumpling/ice cream/coffee hipster joint in SF.

- K

Hipsters don't drive cars. They ride fixies.

This choice of site seems pretty odd since it's about 158 miles to Eureka, which would be a logical site for the next supercharger going north, and Ukiah doesn't serve people coming over to HIghway 101 from CA-20. Perhaps they are looking at Fortuna (140 miles north) for the next one, but it's a bit puzzling that they'd bend over backwards for Ukiah.

Interesting that the news article quoted a price of $50,000 as the cost of the Supercharger station. This seems low but it may be because of the on street location (or it could be just wrong).
Interesting discussion by the city board on the SC. They had legitimate concerns about the loss of downtown parking places and they ask for more "universal" chargers. Also interesting data on the benefit $12 per charge to the community. I can personally attest that this is true. Charging is free but I find that I usually do spend some money locally... from a cup of coffee to more stuff when there are good shops nearby.
Good to see this SC going in. Last Christmas (before I had my 85D) we drove down the coast from Washington to Fort Bragg, CA. It's a beautiful drive and now looks more feasible in the Tesla.

This choice of site seems pretty odd since it's about 158 miles to Eureka, which would be a logical site for the next supercharger going north, and Ukiah doesn't serve people coming over to HIghway 101 from CA-20. Perhaps they are looking at Fortuna (140 miles north) for the next one, but it's a bit puzzling that they'd bend over backwards for Ukiah.

I'm thinking one in Garberville and one in Arcata.

Reading about the dumb council members who are against it:

"It looks like a Tesla billboard" - So stores in Ukiah don't have their names on signs in the front?

"concerned about the project being exclusive to Tesla" - Well, where's the money coming from? Are companies in Ukiah expected to pay for everything and then give other companies free access to it as well?

Sounds like the mayor is enlightened but if I were Tesla I would have a hard time not taking my revenue-producing Supercharger to the next city when there is resistance from ignorant council members. Once this goes in this will be the biggest draw in their city, they should be paying Tesla for the privilege of having it.

I'm happy to hear about another 101 location north of the bridge. However, I have reservations about this flexible exclusivity situation. I believe they'll have to work pretty hard to make sure there's no confusion about which stalls can be legally ICEd and which cannot. I also worry that when it comes time to make more spaces exclusive (the 2+2+2+2 rule), habits will have formed and we'll see a lot of ICEing in this location. It's possible it could bleed over to other Supercharger locations as well, if travelers see that they can park legally in a Tesla spot.

Hopefully not the case, and I realize Tesla had to make some concessions to get the spaces they wanted, so we'll see.

To bad they didn't select the Super 8 - right at an off ramp, tons of open space off street parking, a willing owner, a decent restaurant, great rooms at reasonable prices, already on the destination charger network - my two cents - we traveled through several times, stayed at the hotel, talked with th owner who is an EV enthusiast - a good fit in my opinion

Willits would make much more sense than Ukiah, because it would catch the east/west traffic on Hwy 20, and Crescent City would also be reachable from Willits on one charge - important because the future intermediate charger (Eureka? Fortuna?) may not happen for awhile. (Ukiah is 241 miles from Crescent City, which is really stretching it; Willits only 219 miles). I contacted the Tesla supercharger team and asked why Ukiah was chosen instead of Willits, and their reply implied that Willits was their first choice but they could not find a suitable location. But they also said to contact them if anyone has any ideas for a suitable Willits location. Given the fact that Ukiah is lukewarm at best, I wish they would reverse their decision. If any forum members have knowledge of good locations in Willits, it would be good to contact Tesla.

To bad they didn't select the Super 8 - right at an off ramp, tons of open space off street parking, a willing owner, a decent restaurant, great rooms at reasonable prices, already on the destination charger network - my two cents - we traveled through several times, stayed at the hotel, talked with th owner who is an EV enthusiast - a good fit in my opinion

I agree. Owner is very obliging. Allowed me to charge my P85D and declined my offer to pay.

News (-ish) from the mothership: Ukiah has appeared as an 'opening soon' gray marker on Tesla's supercharger map, along with Eureka and Crescent City. While those two sites have been taken off the 2015 projected sites map, Ukiah is still there - either an oversight, or they expect to be finished at Ukiah by the end of the year. Has anyone been to the site recently to check for activity?