Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New rear appliqué?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone just posted this on Facebook. It's the new rear appliqué redesigned to eliminate the moisture problem in the clear lenses in the reverse lights. The letters are more prominent. Supposedly all cars made now will have this.Can be retrofitted apparently.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    302.6 KB · Views: 1,601
Someone just posted this on Facebook. It's the new rear appliqué redesigned to eliminate the moisture problem in the clear lenses in the reverse lights. The letters are more prominent. Supposedly all cars made now will have this.Can be retrofitted apparently.

This photo does not show the ends, which are the source of the problem, so it's hard to determine what changes were made other then raising the letters a bit more. Are the back up lights obscured? How are they handled?

The new design will make it easier for us to cut out the letters for our lighted appliqué, shown in FLDarren's post.

The ends (from what I’ve been told - and photos I’ve seen) have no outer lens, so they have either figured out a way to waterproof the inner lens, or it already is. The fogging issue was between the outer lens and the inner lense.

My rear appliqué has been off a couple of times for backup light fogging and once to replace my rearview camera that crapped out. I still have fogging in the backup lights and I even get a fair bit of fogging/moisture inside the tail lights, mostly the left one. Each time, they told me that they had re-applied it with some new and improved technique.

My rear appliqué has been off a couple of times for backup light fogging and once to replace my rearview camera that crapped out. I still have fogging in the backup lights and I even get a fair bit of fogging/moisture inside the tail lights, mostly the left one. Each time, they told me that they had re-applied it with some new and improved technique.

During the lighted appliqué group install at delanman's house a month or two ago we developed a solution that works quite well. The extreme edges of the appliqué pull away from the tail light just a bit, allowing moisture to enter. When we reinstalled the appliqués we added a dab of clear silicone sealant to each end then taped them down for 24 hours. That appears to work. I've not had moisture in mine since.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't quite understand what you are saying. My issue (at least) was moisture trapped between the appliqué (outer) and the inner lens. If they have indeed removed the outer lens altogether, then the only place the moisture would be hiding is in an evaporated form ;)

That's why I wanted to see a photo of the ends of the new version. If there's no clear lens, the moisture won't show, but then the back up lights won't show either. So how they redesigned the ends is what matters most, not what they did with the raised TESLA letters.

During the lighted appliqué group install at delanman's house a month or two ago we developed a solution that works quite well. The extreme edges of the appliqué pull away from the tail light just a bit, allowing moisture to enter.

The pulling away at the ends has been my observation as well. The silicone trick sounds like a good solution.

I think I have an answer to my own question about the design of the ends of the new Model S appliqué. My SC told me the new appliqué would be paired with a redesign of the tail lights. Having just seen the photo below of the Model X rear end, I now think I know the solution: the new appliqué will not extend over the tail lights and the back up lights. Easy solution to the moisture problem. Maybe in fact the Model S and Model X will share the same appliqué and tail lights. Seems quite plausible.

Model X applique.jpg

See this thread:

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...s-cars-with-moisture-in-reverse-light-housing!

Interesting that it has been well over a year since I saw the prototype new applique on Jerome's Sig Red S. I would have thought that a production version would have been out by now. Maybe as noted above the decision was made to do a full redesign of the rear lighting as artsci notes above.

According to my SC this has been through several iterations, including ones that were intended to prevent the ends from lifting off and allowing moisture in. The Model X solution seems the best way to go. If one looks carefully at the Model X appliqué the raised and squared off letters are there.

According to my SC this has been through several iterations, including ones that were intended to prevent the ends from lifting off and allowing moisture in. The Model X solution seems the best way to go. If one looks carefully at the Model X appliqué the raised and squared off letters are there.

I guess that doesn't bode well for retrofits on existing cars. Even if Tesla did agree to replace both lights and the chrome strip, the car body may end up being tweaked to accept the new tail light assemblies.