Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk Wing Walking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Lanny

Nov 29, 2011
MD
EMonwing.png

EMwingwalking.png

Is this Elon testing the "Auto Pilot" or is he just trying to prevent Trump from calling him a loser? :)

Photos by Maye Musk & Talulah Riley

Lanny

Shareholder value went up and down with the plane's altitude.

Or down as the plane was up, and back up when the plane was down.
Like how the whole stock market drops a bit whenever the POTUS leaves the USA, since the risk of something happening is expected to increase until they get back.

I just remembered back in the day when I was an entrepreneur, the company had an insurance policy in the event of a founder's death, there were four of us. The company would receive the money. The policy explicitly declared a few activities off limits. Don't remember what they were but I think there were three: skydiving and hang gliding included. not mundane activities such as rock climbing or scuba diving.

wonder if Tesla has a similar policy.

One might view this as Elon's level of concern regarding stock price tanking after a so-so conf call.

I'm glad JB is there for when they need to execute on an emergency succession plan because Elon took one too many chances.

Good for him. Seriously. I might have a *few* jumps to my name & stuff like this forces you to be in the moment, stops your brain from going 100mph (because you really have to focus), and gives you a surge of adrenalin that will leave you smiling for the week.

I can't imagine someone who might need that more.

I just remembered back in the day when I was an entrepreneur, the company had an insurance policy in the event of a founder's death, there were four of us. The company would receive the money. The policy explicitly declared a few activities off limits. Don't remember what they were but I think there were three: skydiving and hang gliding included. not mundane activities such as rock climbing or scuba diving.

wonder if Tesla has a similar policy.

That's odd... statistically you're far more likely to be killed SCUBA diving than sky diving.

Sky Diving is 1:3.2M

SCUBA is 1:211k

Sky Diving is incredibly safe... the stat I've always found amusing (not 100% sure it's true) is that you're safer jumping out of the plane than landing with it.

That's odd... statistically you're far more likely to be killed SCUBA diving than sky diving.

Sky Diving is incredibly safe... the stat I've always found amusing (not 100% sure it's true) is that you're safer jumping out of the plane than landing with it.

Most people are unaware of how safe skydiving is - in fact, much of the general public thinks it must be part of a death wish. Nothing is further from the truth. But sports like jumping do require a focus that a lot of people might not have (which is why people don't go out on their own until they prove they're not blacking out, not doing it to prove something (weekend heros are common - Hey, I jumped out of as plane!!!) and can safely execute a jump.

Anyhow, back to Elon. Good for him!

That ratio (1:3.2M) isn't what your link says...

It says: 24:3.2M.
Which is 1:133k

So SCUBA is 60% safer at 1:211k.

Skydiving is still safer than running a Marathon though (1:126k)

Last edited:
Another interesting safety stat. Though air travel is statistically much safer than car travel per mile, and still is, it has historically only been slightly safer in terms of hours spend inside the vehicle. That changed with the Model S.

Quick calculation shows that you're (but only barely) more likely to die spending 10 hours in a 747 than spending 10 hours in a Model S. I'll write another post on that when I have the time, unless someone wants to jump in before me.

I was on a SCUBA diving boat, and the wife of a space shuttle astronaut was telling him "please don't dive, it is too dangerous!"

I wasn't sure if she thought it was more dangerous than going into orbit, or maybe just used to trying to talk him out of everything risky.

Anyways, it seemed ironic.

- - - Updated - - -

Another interesting safety stat. Though air travel is statistically much safer than car travel per mile, and still is, it has historically only been slightly safer in terms of hours spend inside the vehicle. That changed with the Model S.

Quick calculation shows that you're (but only barely) more likely to die spending 10 hours in a 747 than spending 10 hours in a Model S. I'll write another post on that when I have the time, unless someone wants to jump in before me.

But hours in the car compared to plane is a bit beside the point. Usually when you fly it is to go someplace far away instead of driving, so the alternative to flying could be driving all those miles at much higher risk.

Related, I don't think people generally ponder how much fuel they use when they fly a lot. Someone could calculate that their efficient car saves so many gallon equivalents per year, but if you go on a few international flights you have effectively used as much fuel flying as you would have by driving all year. In other words, a typical 10K/year driving is the same mileage as a single round trip across the globe. If someone tries very hard to get a more efficient vehicle, but goes on some optional long distance pleasure flights it is somewhat negating their contribution. In other words, doing "staycations" instead of "globetrotting" can do more to avoid the downsides of fuel combustion than driving a more efficient vehicle.

http://environment.about.com/od/greenlivingdesign/a/fly_vs_drive.htm
http://www.theoildrum.com/node/607
https://alumni.stanford.edu/get/page/magazine/article/?article_id=29585

Sorry I went a bit off topic here... Although Elon is flying for fun in this story. And he does commute in a plane since he lives hundreds of miles from Tesla HQ.

I don't remember exactly what the activities were, just that we had the insurance and it was limited to only a few activities.

- - - Updated - - -

I completely agree and there is little effort yet to make planes pollute less.

In full irony there is the idea of "Eco Tourism"... fly somewhere using a lot of carbon, and hang out in a green environment.

I've switched to max one round trip flight per year.

Related, I don't think people generally ponder how much fuel they use when they fly a lot. Someone could calculate that their efficient car saves so many gallon equivalents per year, but if you go on a few international flights you have effectively used as much fuel flying as you would have by driving all year. In other words, a typical 10K/year driving is the same mileage as a single round trip across the globe. If someone tries very hard to get a more efficient vehicle, but goes on some optional long distance pleasure flights it is somewhat negating their contribution. In other words, doing "staycations" instead of "globetrotting" can do more to avoid the downsides of fuel combustion than driving a more efficient vehicle.

I was on a SCUBA diving boat, and the wife of a space shuttle astronaut was telling him "please don't dive, it is too dangerous!"

I wasn't sure if she thought it was more dangerous than going into orbit, or maybe just used to trying to talk him out of everything risky.

Anyways, it seemed ironic.

- - - Updated - - -

But hours in the car compared to plane is a bit beside the point. Usually when you fly it is to go someplace far away instead of driving, so the alternative to flying could be driving all those miles at much higher risk.

http://environment.about.com/od/greenlivingdesign/a/fly_vs_drive.htm
http://www.theoildrum.com/node/607
https://alumni.stanford.edu/get/page/magazine/article/?article_id=29585

Sorry I went a bit off topic here... Although Elon is flying for fun in this story. And he does commute in a plane since he lives hundreds of miles from Tesla HQ.

Yes, but unfortunately my family is across the ocean and I don't get enough vacation time to visit on a cruise. But at least I don't live in CA. And I wish there were direct flights from Bangor, ME to the UK, but sadly not.

Article here ...

Watch Tesla and SpaceX CEO Elon Musk 'Wing It' - ABC News

is bogus at best as it cites his wife joining him. He's divorced and I see no pics of him with Talulah.

Only a close up piece.

Personally I find this foolish. I almost fired a financial partner of mine when I "caught him" doing 100mph on a motorcycle on a freeway.

Some risks are not worth undertaking.

Had something gone wrong on this stunt, what would his 5 sons have done?

Article here ...

Watch Tesla and SpaceX CEO Elon Musk 'Wing It' - ABC News

is bogus at best as it cites his wife joining him. He's divorced and I see no pics of him with Talulah.

Only a close up piece.

Personally I find this foolish. I almost fired a financial partner of mine when I "caught him" doing 100mph on a motorcycle on a freeway.

Some risks are not worth undertaking.

Had something gone wrong on this stunt, what would his 5 sons have done?

He & Talulah are back together (he was wearing his wedding ring again at the Shareholders' Mtg.)

And honestly, Elon doesn't need to live in a prison where nothing can ever go wrong. Good for him for living life. I personally find it to be a great example to his 5 sons, that life is for living. I assume that appropriate risk mitigations were in place. I'd hate to see his 5 sons grow up thinking that 'Dad must be protected from all possible things that could go wrong'. That's how you raise kids scared of the world.