Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loss of charge in garage - not plugged in - as a test

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We parked our 85-D in our garage on 27 July and plugged in for a charge to 201 miles. We unplugged after charge complete and have left unplugged through today. We have not driven the car since 27 July. We are now at 146 miles. This is a loss of 55 miles in 12 -13 days. We live in Scottsdale so our garage is 90+ degrees 24 hrs a day at this time of the year. Any comments on this loss?!?! And is there a good reason to always leave the car plugged in?

We parked our 85-D in our garage on 27 July and plugged in for a charge to 201 miles. We unplugged after charge complete and have left unplugged through today. We have not driven the car since 27 July. We are now at 146 miles. This is a loss of 55 miles in 12 -13 days. We live in Scottsdale so our garage is 90+ degrees 24 hrs a day at this time of the year. Any comments on this loss?!?! And is there a good reason to always leave the car plugged in?
The good reason is because the owners manual says so. Several times. In large print. You really need to read the owners manual on this car even if you haven't on any other car. This is unlike any other car you have driven. You don't know what it is that you don't know.

Remember, "a connected Model S is a happy Model S".

And RTFM.

Last edited:
Most airports have places for EVs to plug in, but if not you're ok as long as the 146 miles of range is enough to get you home. Or charge up to 90% before you leave to have even more range.

Plug in whenever you can doesn't mean you can't leave it unplugged for two weeks, but if you're able to plug in (such as in your garage) you should do so.

Hi Tinky,

I live in Buckeye. I don't normally track the vampire loss, but I was curious when I recently had my car parked on the street in San Diego for three days. I took a reading when I parked the car and then 72 hours later. I lost an average of 1.3 miles per day, the temps were in the 70s on average. Here at home, in the desert heat, I seem to lose about 2-3 miles per day. I have my Energy Saver setting turned ON, and "always connected" is turned OFF. Even with always connected being off, my app still connects within 10-20 seconds.

Have you checked your energy saver preferences under Controls/Settings/Displays?

Just keep in mind that - for battery life - best state of charge for long term parking is 50%. It is not good to leave charged for weeks or months at 80 or 90%. Clearly if you have plug available (even 110), best to set charge level at 50% and leave plugged in. If no plug available, suggest you set to 60% and turn energy savings ON and always connected OFF.

Your loss is probably due to energy used for battery cooling.

Left my car at 90% two weeks ago, unplugged, in my garage (with an insulated door) ahead of a long vacation. Always connected ON. Bay Area weather has apparently been not too warm in the past few days.

Been checking with the remote app on and off. It's down to 68% now.

Left my car at 90% two weeks ago, unplugged, in my garage (with an insulated door) ahead of a long vacation. Always connected ON. Bay Area weather has apparently been not too warm in the past few days.

quite a contrast from egolf,eh? Mine has been sitting unplugged for 1 month with no detectable loss.

quite a contrast from egolf,eh? Mine has been sitting unplugged for 1 month with no detectable loss.

The eGolf also sports a largely analog instrument cluster, not a digital display like Tesla's, and it lacks a large touch screen. One or both of these components have been shown to stay warm even after the car goes to sleep, so something is still creating heat in those components even though the car is sleeping. It's my unscientific opinion that Tesla accepted a design tradeoff somewhere related to these components.

Yeah, the eGolf has indeed stayed put at where it was left at. Not a mile of range lost. The remote app connection (that does take a long time to establish) doesn't seem to incur a significant penalty.

This is one of those things that Tesla hasn't gotten quite right. It's just wasteful. With the deeper sleep mode with Always Connected OFF, I guess the losses may not have been as high.

Why would you do that? (The leaving it unplugged part, not the checking with the remote app part.)

I lose about 1-2 miles a day to vampire drain in the mild Bay Area climate. If I needed to park it at an airport for more than a couple of days, I'd probably take an airporter bus. Some airports, like SFO, do have valet parking and they can plug it in before your arrival.

Why would you do that? (The leaving it unplugged part, not the checking with the remote app part.)

The trip was not long enough that I needed to be worried about the SoC falling to too low a level. I'd rather not leave it plugged in lest there were thunderstorms and such (and apparently, there were some in the Bay Area while I was gone!).