Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road Trip to North Central Washington State

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

napabill

Supporting Member
So, got to the top of Washington State to Howard’s Lakeshore Inn in Pateros, WA. after 6 Supercharger stops along the way.
unknown.jpg

It was about 80 miles back to the Ellensburg SC for my return trip, and arrived with about 80 miles of range. But no problem, I had chosen my hotel because it had a Level 2 charger. I called and reconfirmed that it was operational almost daily before arriving. Got there, and you guessed it, it wouldn’t make a connection using the J1772 adapter. Panic! Found a 110v plug but that was going to necessitate canceling our golf outing the next day (the reason we were in Pateros in the first place) to avoid the 30+ miles to the golf course. I started poking around and found a beat up old trailer behind one of the out buildings. And, sure enough, there as a 14-50 RV plug on the wall. But there was no way to get in, as there was a barrier preventing access. And even if that was removed, not sure if I could get Tess close enough for my cable to reach. As I was pondering the situation, an old pickup truck rolled up, with an old farmer looking guy, and he asked what I was doing. I explained my dilemma and it turns out I was speaking to Howard, the owner. The trailer was being used by one of his employees. When I asked about access to the 14-50 plug he said, no problem, and helped me move the barrier and I pulled Tess in close enough to just barely reach the plug on the wall.
Pateros 2.jpg

Howard was now my new best friend! Went to his restaurant that night, and he was there (as he is every night) and we had a nice visit. A really nice guy. Used to have the largest ranch Washington (200,000 acres) but said he couldn’t make it pay. So sold it and built the Lakeshore Inn. Here is Vicki with her new best friend!
unknown copy.jpg

So the next day we were off with 245 miles in the tank to play golf at Gamble Sands, high above the Columbia River…
unknown copy 2.jpg

All’s well, that ends well! And this is why I love Tesla road trips!:smile:

napabill: We are very sorry that your Model S would not connect to the 80A charger at Howard's Lakeshore Inn. Would you tell us more about what you observed while attempting to connect? We have had no trouble reports on this charger and it was tested by in April as part of our bi-annual service. You can also Private Message me on this forum. Jack Anderson, Volunteer Project Manager, Plug-In North Central Washington.

napabill: We are very sorry that your Model S would not connect to the 80A charger at Howard's Lakeshore Inn. Would you tell us more about what you observed while attempting to connect? We have had no trouble reports on this charger and it was tested by in April as part of our bi-annual service. You can also Private Message me on this forum. Jack Anderson, Volunteer Project Manager, Plug-In North Central Washington.
When I would attempt to plug the cable into my MS using the J1772 adapter, it would click once or twice, and show a fault on the charging box. I've go a suspicion that the culprit is either my J1772 or the plug coming from the charger. I've read that dirt can cause this sort of problem. I have since checked my adapter and it looks clean as a whistle but didn't really examine the Clipper Creek plug. I'll attempt to use the J1772 tomorrow and will let you know if i experience the same issue on another charger. But all was good, as Howard Assmusson nicely allowed me to use a 14-50 plug he has on the backside of that building. Nice man!

Charging Station is Not Operational

Got to Pateros today (Sunday 16 August) the 70A L2 charger is not functioning. This has been posted on the APPs. Plug-In NCW is working to resolve this as quickly as possible. There are 240V and 120V charging opportunities at Howard's Lakeshore Inn check at the front desk for details. Jack

ClipperCreek and Plug-In NCW completed the diagnostics on the CS-90 at "Howard's Lakeshore Inn" in Pateros, WA this week. Our joint conclusion is that there is a problem with the pilot signal cable in the J1772 connector. ClipperCreek has shipped a replacement that we expect to have early this coming week. I want everyone to know how exceptionally well ClipperCreek has provided assistance. The Pateros CS-90 was installed over two years ago and yet ClipperCreek has handled this entire issue without further cost to Plug-In NCW! We intend to mount the replacement cable as soon as we receive it.

Pateros, WA EVSE Operational

Got the new cable and handle installed and tested today (Monday 24 August) This charging opportunity is ready for use. We updated the APPs and websites. BIG shout out to Clipper Creek for fantastic service and standing behind their product. Jack