Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Los Angeles 1.5 Roadster owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JoeP

Feb 22, 2011
I wasn't sure which category to post this under -- feel free to move it, moderators.

Hi! I'm Joe! I live in Los Angeles, and I'm about to join the Tesla family!

I'm still considering whether to buy a new car or a used one. I've test-driven the 2.5 and loved it!

Today, I placed a deposit for a 2008 1.5 model across to country, to be shipped to LA. I've only seen the 1.5 Roadster driving around, never actually been in one. I was hoping to test drive one before committing to buying it.

For logistics reasons, I can't fly across the country to test drive this car. Are there any generous owners of the older model in LA that would be OK with me checking out their 1.5? :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe, Welcome!

You should also check out the local EAA chapter; they have regular meetings with Tesla's often on show.

As a rule of thumb, the 1.5's are a little more basic inside than the 2.0-> and have less sound insulation, different dashboard display, flatter seats, the VDU to the right of the driver rather than in the center with the push buttons and no glove box... Still has all of the shove-in-the-back acceleration though :wink:

What's great is that, as funds permit you can add almost all of the 2.5 features that you want - even the nose and tail - to the 1.5 at your local dealer. May I recommend the sound proofing kit and the A-Pillar wind noise fix. In my experience, they made a dramatic change & I already have the 2.0.

Availability of funds won't stop you from getting the "A-Pillar wind noise fix," otherwise known as a fancy piece of weatherstripping. Tesla will install it for free on any model Roadster upon request. (Interestingly, even some of the 2.5's in our showroom didn't have it in place.)

What's great is that, as funds permit you can add almost all of the 2.5 features that you want - even the nose and tail

Good point! In Tokyo the demo cars are still 2.0's, but they put all of the 2.5 parts on them including the seats recently, and I actually thought they had got new 2.5's in when I first saw the change! The only things that would be hard/impossible to upgrade are the PEM (smaller on the new models), the double-DIN dashboard, and probably the rear diffuser. Other than that, the upgrades basically give you a 2.5. Finally, just deck your car out with a few carbon fiber parts from CarboneOne and you are ready to go!

What's great is that, as funds permit you can add almost all of the 2.5 features that you want - even the nose and tail - to the 1.5 at your local dealer. May I recommend the sound proofing kit and the A-Pillar wind noise fix. In my experience, they made a dramatic change & I already have the 2.0.

Does anyone have any information on what any of the upgrades cost?

Hi! I'm Joe! I live in Los Angeles, and I'm about to join the Tesla family!... Are there any generous owners of the older model in LA that would be OK with me checking out their 1.5? :smile:
Hi Joe,

Welcome to the family!
As Mpt said you can pretty much get the driving experience you are looking for at the LA store if you ask to drive a car. Even a Sport will be pretty close.

That said, the local LA club SoCal GreenSpeed has plenty of members that would be happy to let you ride/drive a 1.5. Come out to SuperCarSunday.com the last Sunday of the month to meet with owners or PM me to meet someone sooner.

I received the following info from CarbonOne Industries:

"We currently offer...
Interior
Door Sills - $799.99
Gauge shroud - $199.99
Door pulls - $324.99
Steering wheel - $1250.00

Exterior
Side air vents - $349.99
Front lower spoiler (1st gen roadster) - $799.99
Rear deck lid spoiler - $999.99
Tail lights - $1825.00 (825 core refund upon return of OEM
tail lights after receiving ours)

We are currently working on...
Interior
side air vent panels - $1119.99
Radio bezel - $349.99
2.5 Nav bezel - $449.99
Center console - $1499.99 (full center, all pieces accept
brushed aluminum top)

Exterior
Hood - OEM style - 1999.99
Hood - Full carbon fiber hood - $2224.99
Hard top - $2499.99"

Availability of funds won't stop you from getting the "A-Pillar wind noise fix," otherwise known as a fancy piece of weatherstripping. Tesla will install it for free on any model Roadster upon request. (Interestingly, even some of the 2.5's in our showroom didn't have it in place.)
Can someone point me to a picture of this? I'd like to check if my car has it. My 2.5 is loud at 75mph+ but this is the first soft-top car I've ever owned so can't tell if it's excessive or not.

Thanks!

Can someone point me to a picture of this? I'd like to check if my car has it. My 2.5 is loud at 75mph+ but this is the first soft-top car I've ever owned so can't tell if it's excessive or not.

Thanks!

No picture, but I can describe it. It looks exactly like a piece of black rubber weatherstripping glued down the center of the door "channel"/pillar. They use a lot of glue, so the metal behind and to the sides of the strip gets shiny looking.

I'm not sure how well this shows the weather strip but, it's an extra layer on the trailing face of the A-pilar

IMG_0793.JPG

I think I have that fix in place but it still sounds like I'm driving with the window open at highway speeds (soft-top).

It really doesn't make that big a difference. They have a fluid flow problem with the pillar/window/top junction that didn't get optimized. I talked to one of the engineers a while back, and it sounded like they just ran out of time to do the work. Diminishing returns and all.

It really doesn't make that big a difference. They have a fluid flow problem with the pillar/window/top junction that didn't get optimized. I talked to one of the engineers a while back, and it sounded like they just ran out of time to do the work. Diminishing returns and all.

So is it something that can't be fixed at all or they just haven't put the effort in to release a fix? Thanks.

So is it something that can't be fixed at all or they just haven't put the effort in to release a fix? Thanks.

My opinion is that the weatherstripping is a bandaid. It helps a little bit. The fundamental problem is with the shape of the stuff that's in the wind. It can definitely be fixed, but I bet it won't be since the Roadster is kinda EOL.

Here's the pricelist from earlier in 2010. You'll need to check with the dealer for any updates but the nose isn't included here. I've asked though.

Chassis:
Adjustable Suspension* ($6,000)
(This is the same adjustable suspension available on the 2010 Roadster. Improves ride quality and adds adjustability for improved grip and handling)

Wheels
Base* ($)
Silver Forged* ($2,300)
Black Forged* ($2,300)
Tires
Standard* ($)
Sport* ($)
Winter* ($)

Interior Sound Reduction Kit ($3,000)
(Standard on 2010 cars – adds sound deadening material throughout the cabin and chassis to reduce road and suspension noise.)

Interior:
Executive Leather Interior ($6,000)
(Similar to the 2010 Executive Leather Interior, including available color combinations. Adds leather to dash, door panels and most other visible areas of the cabin. Does not update center console or dash parcel tray!)

Executive Leather and Carbon Fiber Interior ($9,000)
(Similar to the 2010 Executive Leather and Carbon Fiber Interior, including available color combinations. Adds leather to dash, door panels and most other visible areas of the cabin. Adds carbon fiber to dash vents, instrument binnacle, and upper and lower door sills. Does not update center console or dash parcel tray!)

Interior Carbon Fiber Parts a la carte
Lower Door Sills Set* ($1,700)
Upper Side Vent Trim Set* ($2,000)
Instrument Binnacle* ($700)
Radio/Vent trim* ($750)

Exterior:
Exterior Carbon Fiber Trim Package* ($9,950)
(Exactly the same as 2010 Exterior Carbon Fiber Accent Group)

Exterior Carbon Fiber Parts a la carte
Hood Veins* ($4,200)
Front Lower Spoiler* ($1,600)
Rear Decklid Spoiler* ($2,100)
Rear lower diffuser* ($1,800)
Rear Quarter Body Inserts* ($1,600) “rear fender”

Hardtops
Clear Coat Carbon Fiber ($5,000)