Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slacker song request bug/odd behavior?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't really ask too many questions on here, but this one has been puzzling me since got my MS. Wandering if others have same behavior.

When requesting a song, by saying "Play ABC (song) by XYZ (artist)" the car does a great job at the search and usually display the song requested first by the correct artist. But, when I choose that listing for the song I asked for, another song by that artist plays first, then if hit the next button, the song I actually requested is usually played next (2nd). That happens about 99% of the time it seems.

Not a huge annoyance but is this pretty common for all?

Don't really ask too many questions on here, but this one has been puzzling me since got my MS. Wandering if others have same behavior.

When requesting a song, by saying "Play ABC (song) by XYZ (artist)" the car does a great job at the search and usually display the song requested first by the correct artist. But, when I choose that listing for the song I asked for, another song by that artist plays first, then if hit the next button, the song I actually requested is usually played next (2nd). That happens about 99% of the time it seems.

Common = yes. This is determined by the license Slacker has for the song and if you are paying to be a Premium member vs. Tesla's "hybrid" version (above free, below Premium).

Ah thanks, odd since I login with my Premium credentials. Oh well.

The test then would be to try this on their website or phone app and see if you get the same behavior then. I use the Tesla version and some songs play on the first try, some play as the second song, and others just play at some point. For me, its probably the license agreement for the Tesla version.

May not be the exact issue but I did find out during a conversation with a Slacker CSR (he was no slacker lol) that their digital licensing agreement states that the same song can not be requested and played on demand in less than 4 hours. I have tinkered with it a little and it does appear to be true.

May not be the exact issue but I did find out during a conversation with a Slacker CSR (he was no slacker lol) that their digital licensing agreement states that the same song can not be requested and played on demand in less than 4 hours. I have tinkered with it a little and it does appear to be true.

I think it depends on the song. Some I can play over and over again as many times as I like.

Here's something interesting: There have been songs that I can search for and find in the car, but they will never, ever play... even after listening to an hour's worth of "similar" songs first. But, if I go to the web interface and add the song to a Playlist, I can go back to the car and play it to my heart's content. (I do have a Premium account).

Depends on the song. For JXL's remake of Elvis's "A Little Less Conversation", it comes up as the second song. For anything Steve Miller, it tends to come up as the first song (unless it's been played within the past few hours). Some songs - "Thrift Shop" when it first came out - would come up maybe 8th or 10th...

From the web site when you play a song that has limitations:
Capture.PNG

I think it depends on the song. Some I can play over and over again as many times as I like.

Here's something interesting: There have been songs that I can search for and find in the car, but they will never, ever play... even after listening to an hour's worth of "similar" songs first. But, if I go to the web interface and add the song to a Playlist, I can go back to the car and play it to my heart's content. (I do have a Premium account).

I've noticed the first part and assumed that since I don't have a Premium account, the latter would work. Otherwise, I would expect it to not return the search results at all (even some songs from hit albums of 2015 do not show up in search). I presume these wouldn't even play w/ Premium licenses.

I've noticed the first part and assumed that since I don't have a Premium account, the latter would work. Otherwise, I would expect it to not return the search results at all (even some songs from hit albums of 2015 do not show up in search). I presume these wouldn't even play w/ Premium licenses.

I think some of the behavior I see has to do with me being in Canada. I have noted that sometimes a song will play in the car, but not at home on my computer and vice versa. In Canada, the car connects via a proxy or VPN or something, and to any web services it appears the car is in the US. There is a local radio station that won't play on Tunein in the car because it says it "isn't available in my area". There are probably licensing issues that have location restrictions and this Canada/US thing is likely causing at least some of the weirdness I see.

I think some of the behavior I see has to do with me being in Canada. I have noted that sometimes a song will play in the car, but not at home on my computer and vice versa. In Canada, the car connects via a proxy or VPN or something, and to any web services it appears the car is in the US. There is a local radio station that won't play on Tunein in the car because it says it "isn't available in my area". There are probably licensing issues that have location restrictions and this Canada/US thing is likely causing at least some of the weirdness I see.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised. I see similar things with websites that are estimating my location based on IP address and I see weather reports and advertisements for California. Or, at least, that is how I am assuming Weather.com is picking up my local on the non-mobile version of their website!