Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Pack becomes slightly out of balance overnight?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sethr

CPO Roadster #1089
Mar 24, 2013
Fairfax, VA
Hi all: I wonder if anyone can shed light on what I have noticed recently (I've never checked this before the last couple of days). After a Standard charge at the end of the day, my pack balances in a short time, usually in about 10 - 15 minutes. But recently, when I was checking on the pack temperature in the morning, I saw that the balancing grid had a few "1's". It rebalanced in minutes (I assume because I had woken the Roadster up: the pump had not been on), but I'm wondering if this is normal, or the beginning of a problem? TIA!

Hi all: I wonder if anyone can shed light on what I have noticed recently (I've never checked this before the last couple of days). After a Standard charge at the end of the day, my pack balances in a short time, usually in about 10 - 15 minutes. But recently, when I was checking on the pack temperature in the morning, I saw that the balancing grid had a few "1's". It rebalanced in minutes (I assume because I had woken the Roadster up: the pump had not been on), but I'm wondering if this is normal, or the beginning of a problem? TIA!

I've never seen my car "re-balance" after it finishes balancing. Maybe I've missed it. If you top-off the charge it will enter a balancing stage afterwards. But I've never seen it start balancing just because it woke up.

Check the min and max brick voltages. Balancing will start after a few minutes after the key is turned off (or when you awaken it) when the SOC is 79% or greater, and the difference between the high and low voltages is >.02V. Balancing only occurs while awake. If your pack is out of balance, you can turn on the hazard flashers to keep the car awake until the pack is balanced. A few "1's" are good. If you see 98, then you have a problem.