Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GPS Location Phone App "Feature"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live on Maui, but just finished a long work assignment in Albuquerque, NM, with the good fortune of being able to have my Model S with me. The downside to the entire experience has been the long wait for my car to be shipped back to me, as no rental car comes close to filling the void. My car sat at the port in Long Beach for what seemed forever (12 days), but supposedly shipped on August 1st. I was told the ship carrying it would arrive in Honolulu on August 5th, so yesterday I tried the phone app to see where it was. As I expected, the app couldn't connect to the car (I was assuming it would still be in its shipping container). This morning, I tried again. Success! However, the app reported that it was still in Long Beach! I about had a meltdown, thinking "what the heck happened"? I contacted my shipping coordinator, who spent about 10 minutes frantically trying to find out what happened. Turns out, the car really is in Honolulu. The car has access to the cellular network, but doesn't have visibility to the GPS network, so it is reporting the last location where it actually knew where it was, which was Long Beach (proof that they containerized it as promised). It seems to me that this is not the best feature, and that maybe it could use the cellular network as a backup like most phones do. Has anybody else experienced this first-hand? I couldn't seem to find any related threads.

Since posting this, I've been checking on my car every day. It continued to report, via the phone app, that it was in Long Beach, CA - but at a slightly different position (maybe 500 ft) than it had been. Today, it finally reported that it was at the port in Honolulu. I just wish I had it back already!