Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I just got big-timed by a fellow Tesla. 85s can't hang with P85Ds apparently...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm driving home from Costco and I pull up at a stop light next to a brand new grey P85D with grey turbines (still Tesla paper plate on the back). Roll down my window to congratulate the owner on their new car. I give him a wave, he looks at me...and...rolls his window up. No wave. No acknowledgement.

I know Teslas are a dime a dozen where I live (Orange County), but damn, man...that's not cool. A year ago when I first had my car, I'd share an acknowledgement, nod, or wave with literally every single Model S I encountered on the road or in a parking lot. With Tesla's growth and expansion, the camaraderie amongst Tesla owners seems to be fading. It doesn't surprise me, but it makes me sad.

I know the feeling. Only here in my part of Virginia, I see another Tesla a couple times a year. A few weeks ago I pulled on I-95 just a few cars ahead of another Model S, which is extremely rare in these parts. By chance we entered traffic and were next to each other. i looked over and waved, etc...but nothing.

I'm 99% sure he saw me.

But I guess this is bound to happen as the car becomes more common (even though it's almost as rare as a Ferrari around here, in my experience!)

I was in deep thought once blanked out staring outside the window when I realized someone from another car (non tesla) was giving me a thumbs up. Before I realized what was going on, the light turned green and he sped off. I didn't have the opportunity to reciprocate. He probably thought I was a dufus. :-/

I was in deep thought once blanked out staring outside the window when I realized someone from another car (non tesla) was giving me a thumbs up. Before I realized what was going on, the light turned green and he sped off. I didn't have the opportunity to reciprocate. He probably thought I was a dufus. :-/

I was going to mention this...a lot of people either zone out or focus on the car in front of them when driving, so it could be the guy was just not paying attention.

I actually tend to avoid making eye contact with people beside me when I'm driving (for example when at a light), because:

1) I don't want to unintentionally solicit a drag race by looking over (sadly, that's often all it takes), and
2) Since I'm in a "fancy" car I don't want to make it look like I'm seeking attention (I know this one sounds wierd).

That's bad... I flash my lights when I see another Tesla ...some respond back and wave but some choose to ignore...I think to myself what is wrong with this people...

Then I remember this song by Billy Currington...People are crazy

I know the feeling. Only here in my part of Virginia, I see another Tesla a couple times a year. A few weeks ago I pulled on I-95 just a few cars ahead of another Model S, which is extremely rare in these parts. By chance we entered traffic and were next to each other. i looked over and waved, etc...but nothing.

I'm 99% sure he saw me.

But I guess this is bound to happen as the car becomes more common (even though it's almost as rare as a Ferrari around here, in my experience!)

Hope it wasn't me, I always try to wave/acknowledge other T owners.

I do find it fascinating what brands/makes inspire their owners to wave/acknowledge one another.

I think what it comes down to is whether a car owner is an enthusiast.

As my weekend hiking/mountain biking vehicle I have a Jeep Wrangler unlimited, and owners of that vehicle predominately wave. I have no idea why because there are so many on the roads. They wave so much that one of the benefits of the Tesla is I don't feel the "ughh, i gotta wave again" feeling anytime I see a 4 door Jeep Wrangler.

With the Tesla my experience has been that most owners around me don't wave. Probably because there are too many around here to make it special plus most of them aren't really enthusiast. They just bought a car that worked for their needs. Most waving seems to be reserved for pulling into and out of superchargers parking lots. That works for me.

For me personally the only time I've ever owned a car and I felt like waving was when I had a Porsche Cayman S. It was unique and special enough to warrant a wave to a fellow owner. It was so respected that I'd get an occasional wave from a 911 driver. Of course no one would ever, ever wave to a boxster owner.

Used to own a Miata until late last year - Miata owners are really good about waving to each other! Even had a dude fist pump and cheer as he pulled next to me on the freeway. Would be neat if Tesla owners acted similarly, but I don't think the Model S garners the same kind of enthusiasts like the Miata does.

Used to own a Miata until late last year - Miata owners are really good about waving to each other! Even had a dude fist pump and cheer as he pulled next to me on the freeway. Would be neat if Tesla owners acted similarly, but I don't think the Model S garners the same kind of enthusiasts like the Miata does.

whenever i was in my miata and saw another one i would get all giggly and try to position myself near the other car. sadly... i have an NC and other NC drivers are usually old dudes or asian chicks. neither of which care about other miatas.
i get SUPER happy when im bumbeling around in the 500e and i get to share the HOV lane with a tesla. unreasonably so...

Driving my smart car garnished far more responses than any other car I've driven before from fellow smart drivers.

Better yet, it will almost always involve copious use of the horn. Probably because it sounds so ridiculous on that car though :D

Unfortunately I haven't been close to any other Leaf drivers to attempt a wave yet. They (and other EVs) are rarer than Teslas around my city.

whenever i was in my miata and saw another one i would get all giggly and try to position myself near the other car. sadly... i have an NC and other NC drivers are usually old dudes or asian chicks. neither of which care about other miatas.
i get SUPER happy when im bumbeling around in the 500e and i get to share the HOV lane with a tesla. unreasonably so...

I still miss my old NB! The NC is a nice car but something about the NB just resonated with me. Unfortunately my NB was totaled in a rear-end accident by someone on their cell phone.

And I agree that it's nice to see Tesla expanding their audience, but I'd like to see more enthusiasm from the average driver considering how positive the users on this forum are!