Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

States' concerns about incentive program trigger change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla email to us today:

Various states have laws that were enacted to prevent rogue car salespeople. You can imagine an era when legislators were concerned about stereotypical “car salesmen” trying to sell cars without a license. At Tesla, we sell our cars differently. We don’t use traditional car dealers let alone rogue salespeople. However, our Referral Program has struck a chord with Virginia regulators, who have claimed that aspects of it do not comply with this type of law.

Our Referral Program was never designed to make you a salesperson. Nevertheless, due to the position taken by Virginia regulators, we are making one change to our Referral Program for our customers in Virginia. Now, when someone buys a new Model S through your referral link, the $1,000 credit that you were to receive in your Tesla account will instead go to the person receiving the referral. That person will now get $2,000 (instead of $1,000) off the purchase price. The program otherwise remains as described in Elon’s email to you.

I wonder how Costco can get away with promoting $1000 off a new ford vehicle. Doesn't that make Costco a rogue sales person?
Can anyone confirm if Costco has that same promotion in Virginia?
(not sure if Costco does this in the U.S., but they do it here in Canada).

Bonnie - hi - no - you have to work.

Amp - I just thought it thru and VA people and referral links are going to be the hot commodity for $2k. We are in fact going to be more the sales people!. I love the irony.
Unintended consequences are great when we like the results! Weird, because i have offered my Tesla-aspiring friends my $1000 as well as theirs. Were i to live in VA that would have been automatic and i could be a real car salesman! :cool: Good luck with your new career, Biff.

You can give it to the person who you referred to buy the Model S.

Unless there's something I don't know, the mechanics of doing so are less than stellar. You could write your friend a check for $1000, and get your money back later when you don't spend $1000 with Tesla that you would otherwise be spending. As the referrer, you are giving your friend cash in exchange for a limited duration Tesla gift card in the same amount. You're trading down on the quality of your money, so you're getting punished (a little bit - not a lot granted) for referring your friend and giving him your referral bonus.

Unless there's something I don't know, the mechanics of doing so are less than stellar. You could write your friend a check for $1000, and get your money back later when you don't spend $1000 with Tesla that you would otherwise be spending. As the referrer, you are giving your friend cash in exchange for a limited duration Tesla gift card in the same amount. You're trading down on the quality of your money, so you're getting punished (a little bit - not a lot granted) for referring your friend and giving him your referral bonus.
Maybe you could just give him your gift card then?

I agree with those who say give all $2,000 to the buyer. As an owner, I don't want to profit off of my love for the car and wanting to show it off to everyone I encounter. It doesn't feel right. I also think it will lend a lot more credibility to the program if Tesla makes this change. But give Bjorn his free Model X :)

Maybe you could just give him your gift card then?
Same problem. If I give them a $1000 gift card, I'm out $1000, which I may not get from Tesla in the form of service for a few years.

It would be nice if refers had the choice of a) keeping the $1000 in Tesla parts/service, b) transferring the $1000 in service/parts to the buyer, or c) giving the buyer an extra $1000 of the purchase price.