Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why People Do Not Want Tesla Cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why Tesla Motors Electric Cars Have So Few Buyers (NASDAQ: TSLA) - 24/7 Wall St.

If you don't feel like reading the entire article, here's my thumbnail summary. . .

TESLA: While getting the Model X into production and making sure it's right, we may not be able to produce and deliver as many cars before the end of the year as we earlier had planned.

24/7: What happened to all those thousands and thousands of people who were supposedly waiting for one?

TESLA: Our new referral and pre-owned car programs expose more people to the benefits of driving electric vehicles.

24/7: Car companies don't offer incentives unless they're having trouble moving the metal.

And then, finally, right at the very end, the article gets around to answering the question that it began with. Why do people not want Tesla cars? "Maybe Tesla sells cars that are too expensive. Maybe its cars are niche vehicles for which there is not much demand. Perhaps it does not have enough charging stations."

If you're looking for any deeper analysis than that, you'll come away disappointed.

Yeah, really. Have showed my car off dozens if not hundreds of times. Almost everyone says they want one. Some mention they can't afford it (and love the master plan, and are stoked for model 3) and about 25% still concerned about charging (at home, not so many about road trips once I explain the SCs).

So far (2 months ownership) everybody who has had a ride in the car has had one or more of the following comments:

1. OMG I want one? How expensive is it? Ohh, I'll wait for the 3 because I can afford that.
2. How far does it go? 3-400 km! Ohh that's really more than I need.
3. I would want one if I could drive on a vacation in it. (Insert SC explanation). I think I'll go take test drive now..
4. This is the future no doubt (Said by a friend who is a mechanic and owns his own workshop)

Basically everybody wants them. But the price is the limiting factor now.

and in doing so highlight their own fears (yes I'm looking at you ICE journalists!)
Agreed, some folks just don't know what to think ... yet. I admit to not wanting a Tesla when it was far out of reach. Then it just seemed to fit the vehicle need better than any other car, and the financials found a way to fit :tongue: part of that includes a price for the 1-way ticket into the future, though. Not often those come around !

Honestly I don't care. I didn't want one either for all of the above reasons and you know what happened?

I'm driving one now.

It's kind of like fine wine. Most people do not appreciate the difference, don't want to pay for it, and are perfectly content drinking 2% fermented grape juice with high fructose corn syrup and FD&C Yellow #5 in it. What does that say about fine wine and the vineyards that make it?

BTW I don't like wine either ;)

My impression is that for some people Tesla represents change that is too much to handle or is too threatening. The consequence is they look for something that must be 'wrong', and in doing so highlight their own fears (yes I'm looking at you ICE journalists!).

Yes, absolutely.

It is still interesting to me that automotive journalists don't seem to have charging points at home. It means they really still don't get it. They don't understand what it means to charge at night at home. They can't then communicate it effectively. They get a press car for a day, maybe even a week and never get over range anxiety since they never charge at home.

It's kind of like fine wine. Most people do not appreciate the difference, don't want to pay for it, and are perfectly content drinking 2% fermented grape juice with high fructose corn syrup and FD&C Yellow #5 in it. What does that say about fine wine and the vineyards that make it?

BTW I don't like wine either ;)

Well, I do:biggrin: I compare my Tesla to my favorite red wine, a 2002 Bettù Nebbiolo .
There are so many commonalities:
-they both are outrageously expensive;
-they both are rare, although the wine is much rarer;
-they both give me astonishingly delightful sensations, so;
-I use them both more than I probably should.:eek:

Elon's referral program is a pretty big indicator that Tesla is no longer production constrained.

Well, Tesla is certainly production constrained with the Model X.

One possible scenario is that the Model X has significant production difficulties and Tesla has to make the year total numbers work with mostly US demand for the Model S, given the strong dollar. Maybe double record number of Model S deliveries with the new expansion of the production capacity. So technically, yes, not production constrained, but I don't know if it reflects a lowering of S sales or just a desire for much more volume to derisk Model X launch.