Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OE Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Lyon

2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D
Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2011
Eugene, Oregon
From one of the recent mule sightings it looks like Continental CrossContact LX Sports.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=CrossContact+LX+Sport

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438825712.357674.jpg

Those don't appear to be 21" rims, do they? They still have the turbine design though so maybe Tesla finally listened and is coming out with 19" grey turbines.
Those tires certainly don't seem to rate very well though.

They could be 21s but with thicker rubber. That would jive with SUVs in general.

Yeah, I saw the mediocre reviews. I'm hoping there are more options for tires than for the 21s on Model S.

Still looks like 265 to me but it's hard to tell with the image quality. 245 is the width the Model S comes with and seems a little narrow for an SUV. For comparison, the Q7 w/20 inch wheels comes with 275s.

FWIW, looks 265/45 R 20 for me too. In the sharpened enlarged image I think 265 is fairly easy to make out. There is no right-edge like going up that would signify a 4.

According to Bonnie, the 20's come with the Continentals and the 22's come with Pirelli high performance tires.

I'm not a tire expert. What does anyone think the size and style of tire would be? I'd like to look up traction performance info on the Pirelli to see if it can handle snow at all. All mfg have lots of names for different tires, not sure which one to look at. Bonnie said "high performance" but that could be many different tires. My BMW X5 is staggered. Any chance TM would do that?

Since we've already determined the 20" tires are likely 265/45R20, the closest match for 22" tires would be 265/35R22. The one Pirelli that shows up at this size is the Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico, which is rated as an All-Season tire and may be a suitable fit.

I'm not a tire expert. What does anyone think the size and style of tire would be? I'd like to look up traction performance info on the Pirelli to see if it can handle snow at all. All mfg have lots of names for different tires, not sure which one to look at. Bonnie said "high performance" but that could be many different tires. My BMW X5 is staggered. Any chance TM would do that?

Very possible they will do a staggered setup. I think the Model S P90D has one. After looking at the Pirelli options for an SUV in the 22" size it looks like it could be the Scorpion Zero, Zero Asimmetrico, or Scorpion Verde All-Season. While those are considered "all-season" tires, I would not depend on their performance in any significant snow I would recommend a dedicated snow tire or something like the Nokian WRG3 ( click/ ) which is extremely well suited to a whole variety of weather and dry pavement.

The Nokian WRG3's have been great on my Subaru Legacy that the X will be replacing. Would be happy to put those on a set of the 20's for winter. Hopefully they offer some dark gray wheel choices too.

I've been running Nokians on various vehicles for years. Currently have the Rotivas on my Yukon. They offer the best combination of dry/wet/snow performance that I'm aware of and their commitment to low rolling resistance and natural materials is awesome.

I also have a set of their studded tires for the Yukon for ski season. Those things are flawless in snow/ice. The vehicle tracks beautifully and stops beautifully.

I've been running Nokians on various vehicles for years. Currently have the Rotivas on my Yukon. They offer the best combination of dry/wet/snow performance that I'm aware of and their commitment to low rolling resistance and natural materials is awesome.

I also have a set of their studded tires for the Yukon for ski season. Those things are flawless in snow/ice. The vehicle tracks beautifully and stops beautifully.
Definitely agree. Only downside I can see is that they cost a pretty penny! ;-)

Last edited: