Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7 seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anybody any information about that?

They said they will be able to have two additional seats for children. As I have a big family I reall would be interested in that ( the girls really were offended that my roadster has only two seats )

Will they still produce the version with 7 seats? How will they get to seats 6 and 7?

pic: pics

I may be wrong but I recall Tesla saying that the car would just as safe from a rear impact as it would from a head on.
Can not provide links, but it was recent.

... hard to believe , there a no airbags (right?), and not much room between the back end and the passenger's feeds ...

... BTW rear impact's are not nessary for a good NCAP crash test ..

Is there any picture of those seats anywhere?
So the passengers on those seats are looking backwards?
No pictures, but I'll imagine it'll be something like this:
Mercedes-Benz-wagon-tailgun.jpg

Here's a decent picture of the hatch in the protoype (judging from the angles, the seat will probably be up against the rear seats like the station wagon, or there won't be enough head room):
tes_model_s_12_burstein_18_cd_gallery.jpg

I may be wrong but I recall Tesla saying that the car would just as safe from a rear impact as it would from a head on.
Can not provide links, but it was recent.
I'm not sure about that, but Tesla said: "Crash structure in back of car. NHTSA requires higher speed rear impact performance in EV (something like 35 vs 50) due to acid leak worries for lead-acid (yup, even though lead-acid isn't being used here)".
Tesla tech talk Boston

So rear impact protection should be significantly better than existing vehicles, just because of stricter testing for EVs.

My only issue, is that kids have to be in a child Safety seat until they are 4'9" (135 cm) in the U.S. I'm not sure that they considered Safety Seat and Child Height in clearance to the roof line. I'm not sure that there is room, but I may be wrong.

The rear jump seats are a terrible idea that should never make it to production, and most likely will not, with good reason. With the fastback roofline, their faces will be right up against the glass. I doubt they'll even get approval for them. I can't imagine there are any potential buyers to which 5+2 seating is a major selling point. I suspect you'll see this scrapped before too long.

Matt...do you know a lot more about the Model S than the engineers at Tesla--enough to know that the design cannot pass safety standards, or that children would even fit? Something tells me they've thought about this. And don't forget...the +2 seating is an option. Don't like it? Don't get the option. Easy.

Considering that Elon has 4 kids and he usually gets what he wants, I'm pretty confident that the 5+2 stays in at least as an option. Though if the safety isn't good enough for Elon to put his kids back there THEN I beleive they will scrap the option. Considering how much noise they've made with this I guess they properly modeled the safety before they released the specs. So all in all I give a 90% chance for rear jump seats to be option/standard equipment.

Cobos