Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need advice: used P85 vs new 70

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ready to make my first Tesla purchase but trying to decide between a used 2013/14 85 vs a new 70 ---with the tax credit would be about the same dollars. Any advice? Like the new warranty and options. Next question, if going to be in AZ most of the time, is there a benefit to go to the 70D? General advice and experience would be appreciated as I make the leap I have been looking forward to the last couple years.

Ready to make my first Tesla purchase but trying to decide between a used 2013/14 85 vs a new 70 ---with the tax credit would be about the same dollars. Any advice? Like the new warranty and options. Next question, if going to be in AZ most of the time, is there a benefit to go to the 70D? General advice and experience would be appreciated as I make the leap I have been looking forward to the last couple years.

I would probably go new mainly for the new options and technology improvements. I would guess that at some point we will be able to swap battery packs for more capacity and you could upgrade that later if you needed it. Just my thoughts.

Regards, Ben

Without knowing your specific use case, I'd go new 70. Skip the D unless the performance gain matters to you. Autopilot hardware plus all the random small improvements over the last year. The 70 is fast enough and has enough range for most daily living.

New 70. Unless you truly need a 3 second car. But if you can live with a 5 second car, the 70. It is still very fast ;-)

Newer models seem to be much better build quality IMHO, many less issues being encountered, etc. The 70 is the most efficient model S as well - more range over P85 is another big point.

The 70 is the most efficient model S as well - more range over P85 is another big point.

The 70D is more efficient, but OP mentioned 70 which is presumably the RWD version, so is no more efficient than an 85.
As for range, my 2013 CPO 85 with ~ 38000 miles has average degradation based on reports here and elsewhere, meaning, still much more range than a 70...

I would go for the P85, I really don't care about the Autopilot, it won't be few years before it becomes advanced anyways and I can live without the take my car out of the garage and park it in front of my front door.
Range, I can't really say there, that boils down to driving habits, I could drive my P85+ at 270wh/m and at 400wh/m during summer months, all depends on my thrill for acceleration.

It's up to you really and what you want from the car. If you like the autopilot features and think they'll be a thing when the software update comes, skip on the P85 and if you don't care as much, go with the P85.

I would go for the P85, I really don't care about the Autopilot, it won't be few years before it becomes advanced anyways and I can live without the take my car out of the garage and park it in front of my front door.
Range, I can't really say there, that boils down to driving habits, I could drive my P85+ at 270wh/m and at 400wh/m during summer months, all depends on my thrill for acceleration.

It's up to you really and what you want from the car. If you like the autopilot features and think they'll be a thing when the software update comes, skip on the P85 and if you don't care as much, go with the P85.

You get TACC now, and it works pretty damn well. You get auto-highbeams too, and they work perfectly. You don't get auto-steering, that should come "soon".

I think that if you have to ask the question, the 70 is probably the right answer.

The 70 will be a fair bit slower than a P85... but it will be WAY faster than the average car. If you really care about top acceleration then the P85 will be a fair bit better. But if you've been driving typical $20,000-level sedans cars like most people, then both will be unbelievably fast.

Autopilot features are fantastic. Even if you discount the fancier ones that aren't out yet, traffic-aware cruise control alone is worth the cost of entry, and that works very well right now.

Then there's the question of range. That's a harder one to answer, and will depend a lot on how you expect to drive. 230 miles versus 265 miles isn't a HUGE difference, but it's not insignificant. I've seen road trip warriors on here talking about their long trips in 60s, so it's certainly doable in a 70, but maybe a bit less convenient.

TACC is ok I guess if you use it a lot on your commute, to me it's like the rear seats cup holders, it will be nice to have it but not really needed for my driving.

Not commute, at least not for me. My commute is short and trafficy, and TACC uses the friction brakes a lot more than I do.

But we constantly go on road trips, and I use it there for pretty much the whole drive. Makes it a lot more relaxing.

And that's why they have different flavors of Tesla! Everyone can get what they want.

I went used / CPO. Got every option at time of manufacture for about a the price of a new 70 with no options (including tax credit). Yeah, you lose power folding mirrors, parking sensors, autopilot and the option for Next Gen seats. For me the tradeoffs were totally worth it.

Last edited:
Ready to make my first Tesla purchase but trying to decide between a used 2013/14 85 vs a new 70 ---with the tax credit would be about the same dollars.
I don't think they are similar in price. I think used/CPO will be cheaper.

I've been following CPO/used P85's for a while. You can find a loaded (minus rear seats, which are of no value to me) with 20k miles for <$70k without much difficulty (two CPO's at 66.5k and 68.2k came and went within 20-30 minutes). A 70D with UHFS, SAS, Pano, 21", carbon fiber, and next-gen leather (without cold weather, autopilot, premium interior, and rear seats to keep the comparison close) is $89500-$7500=$82k. $12-$15k is a big difference (and that's without autopilot; the man advantage for new).

And a couple posts referenced "3 second cars" - that's the P85D; not on the OP's radar.

I also went with the a CPO P85. Go test drive one and it will make the decision easier for you :biggrin:. This car is extremely fast and fun. The one second difference 0-60 time from the 70D is worth giving up all the autopilot/awd features. The torque is amazing as well!

I debated between a 2013 S 85 and a new S70 and went with the new S70. I do not need the extra speed (this car will be far faster than anything I have ever had). I really liked being able to pick what I wanted, the new features and the new warranty. With the referral discount, the tax credit and the state rebate, the price was pretty similar (I did not get lots of added features).

In the end, what is important to you, it is different for everyone. I am happy.

You will be happy no matter what you decide. The P85 has range and speed. I don't really care about speed that much because to be honest I still drive slow. The extra second or two is not a big deal unless you are consumed with speed (I used to be like this). The range could be very helpful however. Having the 70D means you may be in the position of pulling up to a supercharger with less than 10% battery at just about every stop if you are doing a road trip. Does that bother you? I have an 85kw battery and sometimes I still pull into a SC with less than 10%. If you don't do road trips often or don't mind getting into the red then it's not a big deal. The SC network is designed to support 70kw range now so you should be set.