Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

pano roof - vent position changed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone -

I noticed that after a software update about 3 weeks ago, my pano roof no longer went to the same "vent" position. The rear part used to raise about 3 inches above the car, now only literally just disengages and raises a crack. When I'm in the car and push the roof up, there's definitely another couple inches of give but it bounces back down.

I called my service rep today and asked him about it and it turns out that this was actually part of the last update! If going to vent from the closed position, it'll only open a crack. If you vent from an open position, it will be bigger than a crack, maybe an inch and a half elevated. So I checked it out myself after he told me this, and yes, it's true. He said the reasoning behind this was that this was part of the solution to reduce wind noise.

Has anyone else noticed this and any comments? I personally liked it better when it elevated 3 inches up, because then I can really cool my car down when "precool" it on these hot days. I'm not sure if any venting really happens when it's only open a crack.

New owner here. Also feel the current minimal-vent setting is inadequate to cool a hot car. Although it'll use some energy, I wonder if Tesla could configure vents to draw air from outside into the car when the vent setting is used remotely, and push the hot air out. Before I owned the car, I actually thought I'd have same functionality (closed to full open) via the app

I mentioned it to my Service Center a couple weeks back (when I was on 2.4.239 or .249). The advisor sat in the car and confirmed it with me and had me submit it as a bug report. I've since been upgraded to .253 and it's still there, as well as reports from those with 2.5.21 saying it has remained.

I suspect here is what happened:

1. Driver opens pano roof remotely.
2. Rain begins
3. Driver forgets pano roof is vented.
4. Interior of car gets wet
5. Drive complains to Tesla
6. Telsa reduces the vent position to minimize rain intrusion.

I noticed this as well, but I thought it was actually malfunctioning. I had my entire pano replaced early on and have had on and off problems, so I just chalked it up to that. Good to know this is on purpose!

I think mine was malfunctioning. It wouldn't open at all (not even a crack) on Vent, and when I would try to open it fully, about one time in three I would have to "help" it by pushing up on the glass at the back to get it going. Tesla replaced some components and now it does open every time, but "Vent" is just a tiny sliver.

You don't need the roof to open much in order to vent. Hot air rises, so you only need a small opening to vent that air out of the car. The point is to get the hottest air out of the car as it rises, right? It's not to bring outside air into the vehicle.

You don't need the roof to open much in order to vent. Hot air rises, so you only need a small opening to vent that air out of the car. The point is to get the hottest air out of the car as it rises, right? It's not to bring outside air into the vehicle.

Sort of. I found that if you just have it to vent, there is no cross flow and the interior stays hot. It's a lot cooler at 20% then at 12% (15% was ideal, but the got rid of that setting some time ago.)

Hi everyone -

I noticed that after a software update about 3 weeks ago, my pano roof no longer went to the same "vent" position. The rear part used to raise about 3 inches above the car, now only literally just disengages and raises a crack. When I'm in the car and push the roof up, there's definitely another couple inches of give but it bounces back down.

I called my service rep today and asked him about it and it turns out that this was actually part of the last update! If going to vent from the closed position, it'll only open a crack. If you vent from an open position, it will be bigger than a crack, maybe an inch and a half elevated. So I checked it out myself after he told me this, and yes, it's true. He said the reasoning behind this was that this was part of the solution to reduce wind noise.

Has anyone else noticed this and any comments? I personally liked it better when it elevated 3 inches up, because then I can really cool my car down when "precool" it on these hot days. I'm not sure if any venting really happens when it's only open a crack.

Holy crap, I thought I was going crazy. I kept thinking, "the vent position hardly seems open at all". I was going to make a service appointment thinking my pano roof needed a fifth visit to the service center.

So what can we do about this?

I suspect here is what happened:

1. Driver opens pano roof remotely.
2. Rain begins
3. Driver forgets pano roof is vented.
4. Interior of car gets wet
5. Drive complains to Tesla
6. Telsa reduces the vent position to minimize rain intrusion.

Yup. But see, it doesn't rain in Cali so... What's the problem exactly? :)

My question is this: Why did they not tell us about the change with the update? I'm on 2.5.21. Going in for first tire rotation tomorrow & will add that to my list.

Because it would hamper the mystery experience and since knowledge is power it may disturb the balance, speed up your car, slow down the Earth's rotation, and give you an extra leap second of sleep ;)

- - - Updated - - -

So what can we do about this?

Ask for an adjustable vent position. Also ask for programmable vent events (just blower, no A/C) akin to ICE BMWs

If not crack open the windows or use the remote climate control.

When I first got the car I tested cooling the car by venting the roof vs not. Very unscientific but what I found is that the car cools off quicker for me by not venting the roof.

Many assumption was having the roof open would allow the hot air to escape and the cold air replaced it lower in the car.

Just didn't work work that way, so now I just pre cool and leave the sunroof closed.

4a150248b53944b8491713b741164fc3.jpg
307522004c8fa2aeb71033ac8aa54363.jpg

First picture open vent from closed position.

Second picture open vent from open sunroof position.

So small it's useless