Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Florida No. 2 in the nation in number of Tesla Model S cars on the road

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's purely based on CPO sales. I think WA state is still the second with overall sales.

No, please reread the article.

Here's the first sentence:

Florida is second in the nation in the number of new and used Tesla Model S cars on the roads, according to a report by Edmunds.com, a consumer car research firm.

Larry

No, please reread the article.

Here's the first sentence:

Florida is second in the nation in the number of
new and used Tesla Model S cars on the roads, according to a report by Edmunds.com, a consumer car research firm.

Larry

See:

"Edmunds.com examined registration data of all 1,600 Tesla Model S cars that have ever been sold in the pre-owned market in the U.S. New car sales information was not available."

deonb is correct.

Here is another article based on the same Edmunds study but without the FL angle:

Tesla CPO Program Study Comes To Interesting Findings - Gas 2

Thanks for the article. If you review the table you will see that it supports my point.

Florida is second in both used market share and also second in new market share behind California.

Tesla Model S Market Share by State.jpg

Larry

Thanks for the article. If you review the table you will see that it supports my point.

Florida is second in both used market share and also second in new market share behind California.

Larry

I'm not necessarily doubting the numbers, just the methodology.

So it still says: "Edmunds has conducted a little study of Tesla’s certified pre-owned (CPO) program and has come up with some interesting findings."

How exactly do they extrapolate new sales by looking at CPO numbers?

That's not exactly clear, deonb. I've read about four articles based on that Edmunds study. I know they looked at 1,600 registrations and used statistical sampling from that. I presume that 1.6K includes both new and CPO buyers.

Sure would like to find the original study so we could judge for ourselves instead of being spoon fed what the writer thinks it means...

I'm not necessarily doubting the numbers, just the methodology.

So it still says: "Edmunds has conducted a little study of Tesla’s certified pre-owned (CPO) program and has come up with some interesting findings."

How exactly do they extrapolate new sales by looking at CPO numbers?

As was pointed out we don't have the Edmunds study so we are guessing. Yes, Edmunds studied the CPO program and came up with interesting findings.

However, my interpretation is that they have two sets of data and that they are not extrapolating new sales by looking at CPO numbers.

Larry

- - - Updated - - -

I presume that 1.6K includes both new and CPO buyers.

My interpretation is different. Here's a quote from the article I referenced:

Out of all 1,600 Tesla Model S used electric cars in the country, there are more owners in Florida than in any state except California.

Here's a quote from the article that you referenced:

Edmunds has conducted a little study of Tesla’s certified pre-owned (CPO) program and has come up with some interesting findings.
Edmunds looked at registration data for 1,600+ Tesla already bought through the program.

In both cases I interpret that to mean that the 1,600 cars are used or bought through the CPO program.

Larry

You're correct, Larry. Article in Fortune 4 weeks (the week the study was released) says it was 1600 CPO sales. That's way more CPO's moved than Hank's Consolidator shows, so they must be selling more CPO than has been captured by that tool.

I dunno...Tesla CPO website went live 4/24. Edmunds study came out July 8. 1600 sales, 10 weeks? With 280 active listings?? No way, something doesn't add up. It's not possible they sold that many CPO.

ER late afternoon Wednesday, maybe we'll learn more about CPO volume then.

I am certainly a Florida fan, but...

How about Texas as Number 4 despite every impediment the State can throw at Tesla. Despite the prohibition of free enterprise in car sales in Texas it is still number 4. How much would be the sales volume were the state to permit Freedom of Choice by the residents of the State?

OK, here's the original report. It's 1,600 used Tesla registrations, which at that time would have been MOSTLY private sales as the CPO launched April 24. Up thread I was mistaken about when the data was collected and what it included because I was relying upon writers interpretation of the Edmunds report.

Who Is the Used Tesla Model S Buyer? | Edmunds.com

ETA: Last night at 10:10 EST SF moved 26 hidden cars (previously listed, unsold & removed from active website) back to the SF CPO site. They now list 66 instead of 40, and SD increased to 42 by moving a couple hidden listings. I think we will now see all locations have more than 40 listings shortly.

ETA2: edited post as I misinterpreted the Edmunds report was CPO only.

Last edited: