Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why am I the only one who got a S70 - not a 70D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi - all, I am relatively new here.

So on Sunday I ordered a S70 for September delivery - in looking at all the threads, no one has ordered the S70 - just curious why??

A little about me - I currently drive a Leaf, had a RAV4-EV and a Chevy S-10 EV. I live in Los Angeles (the valley) and do mostly city driving. About 20 miles to work each way, normal errands, driving kids to their activities, plus the occasional drive to San Diego or Santa Barbara.

The 10 extra miles of range does not seems to be that big of a deal. What else am I missing or should I know or worry about???

Thoughts??

People really love AWD because of handling and acceleration, and seem to put a lot of importance on the little bit of extra range.

I got an 85, when the 85D was available but not the 70D. If I were getting one today, I would get either the 85 or the 70. AWD doesn't matter to me, but storage space does, so RWD is a big win there. I don't think the added efficiency matters much. Drive 3MPH slower and you'll gain it back, if you really need it. The car is plenty fast and handles great for my purposes.

Don't worry, be happy. Your 70 is going to be fantastic!

I'm leaning towards the S70 for budget reasons plus I really don't need the range. This would be my primary commuting car, not the family road trip vehicle, and everything in the area here is within 15-20 miles with little traffic. If we do go on a road trip I would need the frunk for luggage since we have a 100 pound dog that will take up most of the hatch and three kids. That's also why I still have a large diesel SUV for road trips and camping.

You'll be fine in LA. The one thing I miss between the P85+ and the P85D is the extra storage in the frunk. But I like performance cars and we do get snow here, so the D is worth the trade off for me. But in LA? Less expensive and more frunk space? Good choice.

I bought a used S85 but had the fortitude to get a new 70D new if i wanted. I also had a loaner P85D for a day during warranty work. The car is stupid quick even with RWD only. You lose frunk space with the D and of course, another motor capable of failure in the future. I don't regret not getting the D, if only to smoke idiots on the highway, which I think is 10 years in my past :)

You'll love the car.

The S70 will be more than fine! I live on the City side, but work in the Valley and my S60 is wonderful. I drive about the same as you do and, in the 7 months I've had the car, have only taken 3 trips requiring Superchargers. You made a great choice. Enjoy your S70!!!

When I tested the 70D, it seemed to hug the road around corners much better than the 60's I've driven before. Not sure if it's AWD or updated suspension of the 70D. I'd be interested in a test drive of the 70 just to experience the difference.

If you live somewhere where it doesn't snow, then the S70 is perfect. Cheaper with more storage space.

I live in Canada, and have had my car now through the latter part of Winter 2013 plus all of 2014 and 2015. Very brutal winters. I've always had AWD in the past, but my RWD Model S with proper winter tires never once left me in a situation that AWD would have prevented. Not once. Whatever it is Tesla does, the RWD version is amazing in winter conditions. I just want to throw that out there for anyone thinking that you somehow "need" AWD if you live in snowy areas. You don't.

Reactions: Forza 11

So on Sunday I ordered a S70 for September delivery - in looking at all the threads, no one has ordered the S70 - just curious why??

A little about me - I currently drive a Leaf, had a RAV4-EV and a Chevy S-10 EV. I live in Los Angeles (the valley) and do mostly city driving. About 20 miles to work each way, normal errands, driving kids to their activities, plus the occasional drive to San Diego or Santa Barbara.

The 10 extra miles of range does not seems to be that big of a deal. What else am I missing or should I know or worry about???

Thoughts??

I'm looking at a 70D, mainly for the occasional ice storm that we get here in DFW. Otherwise, S70 would be all I'd need too.

I just want to throw that out there for anyone thinking that you somehow "need" AWD if you live in snowy areas. You don't.

Thanks for that real world feedback. I've been pondering the same question and this helps as I'd rather have the extra storage and the cheaper price. I live in Northern Colorado and honestly I've never been anywhere that my Nissan LEAF couldn't handle just fine with a bit of caution and thoughtful driving.

The only thing that gets a bit dicey is when we have conditions, like last winter, of repeated partial thaw and refreeze which leaves thick coats of ice on the non-plowed secondary streets. These can last for weeks or months and can be very slippery. Have you had the S on anything like that? Was there any concern with the back end coming around to visit with the front?

Thanks again!

The only thing that gets a bit dicey is when we have conditions, like last winter, of repeated partial thaw and refreeze which leaves thick coats of ice on the non-plowed secondary streets. These can last for weeks or months and can be very slippery. Have you had the S on anything like that? Was there any concern with the back end coming around to visit with the front?

Yes, I get those conditions a lot. In fact, in March of 2013 when I first got my car, I had a nice big taste of it. It was so bad that my mirrors froze solid and when I defrosted them (they work in conjunction with the rear defrosters) The ice melted, flowed back into the mirror assembly and re-froze in a giant block! The roads were sheets of ice. In the winter of 2013/2014 we had the mother of all ice storms which shut down Toronto and Southern Ontario for days.

Anyway, the only difference I experienced with RWD vs. my previous AWD car is that you can't accelerate as quickly from a stop. You will get some Traction Control action. This, IMHO is a good thing. AWD can lull you into a false sense of security WRT how much traction you have, and you're no better than anybody else when it comes to the critical activity of stopping. In fact, the majority of cars in the ditch in winter are 4WD and AWD cars for this very reason. Another reason is that many drivers feel they don't need winter tires because of having AWD. The Model S traction control and stability control is nothing short of amazing. If the back end was ever about to come loose, the systems would catch it and keep the car straight instantaneously. I was never in a position where AWD would have enabled me to do something or get somewhere that I couldn't with my RWD. The Model S (or any other non-truck) is never going to be good in deep snow whether AWD or not simply because of ground clearance.

I'm not saying don't buy AWD. I probably would if I was buying today mainly because I like a "fully loaded" car. I'm just concerned that people think they "need" it in wintery conditions. What you really need is a good set of proper winter tires.

Tesla published a couple of videos on winter driving long before they announced the D cars. Here's one:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back when I ordered my S60 two years ago I kept asking myself 'should I have gotten the 85???." I'm so glad I just pocketed the extra 10k. I'm mainly a city driver too and have never gone below 50 miles of range left in the past two years. I've never had a 'performance' car before this one either (just a camry and a lexus IS) so my S60 feels like a rocket ship compared to what I was used to. I'm plenty happy with my rear wheel drive. Also, I live in Texas so snow isn't an issue. I think you shouldn't sweat the choice you made. You will love every minute with your S70!

You're in LA? Don't worry, I'd have gotten a S70 if it was available when I bought last year. In fact, except for one case, I've never gone below 50 miles range in my 85... The only edge case for buying the 85 is I drive to Flagstaff from here a few times a year, and the I-40 stretch from Barstow to Kingman was undoable in a S60... Now that Needles is up, a S70 would work OK.

Thoughts??