Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My first software update for my car!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I initiated the update....I was on .251

The screen said it will take 1 hour and 40 minutes.
Is that time estimate pretty accurate?
Should I stay a way from the car for that period of time? i.e. would opening and closing the door and touching the screen potentially delay the install?

So I initiated the update....I was on .251

The screen said it will take 1 hour and 40 minutes.
Is that time estimate pretty accurate?
Should I stay a way from the car for that period of time? i.e. would opening and closing the door and touching the screen potentially delay the install?

I often do these when I go to sleep...

I changed the update from overnight to this morning when I got in the car. Around 9:30 as the update started, I got a notification from both the car and my work Chargepoint app that the car was unplugged. I forgot about the update and went to check on my car. It's updating. Just let it do it's thing.

I've sat in one of my old cars while its updating.

Its nothing special, wouldn't do it again. Just a whole lot of clicks and weird noises.

Just let it update and do not interrupt it. When it says it'll take 2 hours, then give it 2 hours before you check it. There is no status/progress bar, so you have to assume that its still updating.

To emphasize the answer to your initial question, don't do anything with the car while it's updating. It's like if you were updating your computer operating system, you wouldn't touch the computer until it told you to. It may take longer than what the screen says, you never know. That's why it's best to let it update overnight which I think is what the scheduled time defaults to.

What about charging while it is updating? My car normally charges overnight....can it charge and update at the same time or should we play it safe and schedule different times i.e. charge from 10:00 pm - what ever time. Update from 4:00 am-

To emphasize the answer to your initial question, don't do anything with the car while it's updating. It's like if you were updating your computer operating system, you wouldn't touch the computer until it told you to. It may take longer than what the screen says, you never know. That's why it's best to let it update overnight which I think is what the scheduled time defaults to.

What about charging while it is updating? My car normally charges overnight....can it charge and update at the same time or should we play it safe and schedule different times i.e. charge from 10:00 pm - what ever time. Update from 4:00 am-

I leave my car plugged in during updates. Not sure if it charges while updating or not, does it really matter though?

Yes! Your Tesla will transform you into a version of yourself approximately 100 minutes older than when you started the process.
This is so disappointing. I bought the car expecting to have, as promised, updates for myself automatically if I stayed in my car during ten car update. You information is correct, though. During one such update my car gained new muscles (Insane mode) and other new features. All I got was...older.:eek: I was a;ready old enough. I wanted a faster 0-14km elapsed time and increased carrying capacity. Didn't happen! I'm so dismayed. There is nothing to do about it I suppose. maybe I'll just look for a hardware upgrade, maybe Ludicrous mode for the car and, say, an artificial knee or two for me.:confused: