Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Asheville, NC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any intel on Asheville SC? For me this seems like a key missing piece to connect i40 (don't think Burlington to Knoxville is feasible) as well as facilitate a popular vacation/weekend getway. Someone at Tesla told me that they were starting construction in the whole foods parking lot in Asheville, but the lack of info on here or supercharge.info makes me think that is not accurate.

Any intel on Asheville SC? For me this seems like a key missing piece to connect i40 (don't think Burlington to Knoxville is feasible) as well as facilitate a popular vacation/weekend getway. Someone at Tesla told me that they were starting construction in the whole foods parking lot in Asheville, but the lack of info on here or supercharge.info makes me think that is not accurate.

FWIW, Burlington to Asheville is barely doable, so Burlington to Knoxville is definitely a no go. The opposite direction might barely be possible driving 55 mph in perfect 72 degree weather, but it would be way too close for comfort.

Burlington SC to Asheville shows 188 miles on Google but realize that the last hour is substantially uphill (I am guessing would be borderline for a 70 but probaby doable in 85?

Hard for me to believe they would put an SC both in Asheville and also in Hickory or Statesville?

Burlington SC to Asheville shows 188 miles on Google but realize that the last hour is substantially uphill (I am guessing would be borderline for a 70 but probaby doable in 85?

Hard for me to believe they would put an SC both in Asheville and also in Hickory or Statesville?

Well, Hickory would be great for topping off on my way from Charlotte to skiing (Sugar Mtn / Beech Mtn) and the way back. Hence my vote.

I have my two HPWCs here in Hickory if anyone needs a top off. I'm on Plugshare, or just hit me up on here.

A supercharger near here would be kind of awesome, but I'd rather have one in Asheville personally. A supercharger near home doesn't do me a lot of good since I can always leave here with as much charge as I need.

Burlington to my place is easily doable. I've even done South Hill, VA to my place a few times.

I say both, one at I-40 & 321 so that it opens up the entire Boone area. And I-40 & I-26 to secure Asheville! Depending on which list you look at Biltmore or Blue Ridge Parkway are the #1 tourist attraction in the state!

:)

Yeah, one at I-40 and I-321 would make some sense to bridge the gap from Burlington to Asheville then Knoxville. They could likely put one somewhere at the Valley Hills Mall (parking lot is massive and even has a parking garage) which is right off of I-40 the exit before 321 when heading west.

Then again, I-40 and I-77 would probably make more sense... but there isn't anywhere near that area that I could think would be a good spot for a supercharger... nothing that would be quick to/from the interstate anyway.

There are quite a few decent options in Asheville, so long as you can handle suffering there for a little while.:biggrin: The Albemarle Inn has a tesla HPWC and is beside Norwood Park. I think they usually charge for non-guests. There are quite a few other options too, including a few good CHAdeMO spots, most of which require payment.
Non Superchargers, but better than going powerless. FWIW, almost all the Select Registry properties in NC, SC, GA, FL and TN have HPWC, I stay in them often now. They are usually very nice, and there are three of them in and around Asheville.

Then again, I-40 and I-77 would probably make more sense... but there isn't anywhere near that area that I could think would be a good spot for a supercharger... nothing that would be quick to/from the interstate anyway.

I think I-40 and I-77 would not be as good of a location. If you are going from Charlotte to the future Wytheville, VA supercharger, there is no need to stop in Statesville. Same for Wytheville going south to Charlotte, even more so with the elevation change. If you going from Burlington to Wytheville, you would take I-74 and cut off the corner, missing Statesville. If you are going from Asheville to I-81 North, you would take I-26 to do that. The only purpose that SC would serve would be E-W on I-40.

Hickory serves that purpose just as well and opens up Boone and the mountains much better.

I think I-40 and I-77 would not be as good of a location. If you are going from Charlotte to the future Wytheville, VA supercharger, there is no need to stop in Statesville. Same for Wytheville going south to Charlotte, even more so with the elevation change. If you going from Burlington to Wytheville, you would take I-74 and cut off the corner, missing Statesville. If you are going from Asheville to I-81 North, you would take I-26 to do that. The only purpose that SC would serve would be E-W on I-40.

Hickory serves that purpose just as well and opens up Boone and the mountains much better.
That seems logical to me. However, apart from peak holiday seasons I have no idea what the typical traffic densities are on these routes. Do you know? I simply assumed that Charlotte was the largest volume by far, but on reflection that is because I am normally coming from Charlotte when I go to Asheville.

Burlington to Asheville is very doable in an 85, I've done it twice. First time in 15F temperatures but light winds. Did a full charge in Burlington, kept to exactly the speed limit and had about 25 miles left. I was worried about climbing the mountain but wasn't horrible and then it's a downhill run into Asheville.

People at Tesla don't usually disclose the location of superchargers under construction, but is there anyone local to Asheville to check it out? Perhaps someone could just call the Whole Foods and ask if there is construction in their parking lot?