Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla/Telstra internet radio in Australia - options ? experiences ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all ... another question, if I may ...

Since driving my S85 (2 months now), I've become a bit addicted to the better sound quality of internet radio (specifically Rdio) over normal FM radio stations. It would be nice to have more features though. So ...

Is it worth paying the subscription to upgrade Rdio ?

Supplemental question ... is it possible to access other internet radio services via MS/Telstra in Australia, e.g. Spotify ?

Thanks as always

Ian

I have left the Rdio app logged in with the default Tesla account but I have logged into TuneIn with my personal account so I can use my phone to search for radio stations an save them as favourites. This makes them easier to fund through the Tesla Media interface.

Hi all ... another question, if I may ...

Since driving my S85 (2 months now), I've become a bit addicted to the better sound quality of internet radio (specifically Rdio) over normal FM radio stations. It would be nice to have more features though. So ...

Is it worth paying the subscription to upgrade Rdio ?

Supplemental question ... is it possible to access other internet radio services via MS/Telstra in Australia, e.g. Spotify ?

Thanks as always

Ian

No point at the moment in getting a premium RDIO account. The current app in the Tesla takes no notice of that so you still don't get any of the premium features. I've found posts going back almost 2 years from the RDIO people saying they were going to fix that but to my knowledge nothing has changed. Getting other services such as Spotify are similarly at the mercy of the developer to create an app for the Tesla environment, and get the agreements in place for them to install it etc.

After using Rdio religiously for the first 3-4 months I recently switched to using Spotify from my phone. Sound quality is just as good and you can still control from the Tesla interface.

I have to disagree there :p

Bluetooth transmission is capped at 64kbps or thereabouts, and Rdio comes through at something like 256kbps, so there would be a big difference in sound quality. You have to turn it up to hear it though.