Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre-owned MS on their website - Does the P***** mean anything?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im looking at buying a used MS. On the Tesla site, under "pre-owned," They give a P***** number. Can I predict the production number of that vehicle based on that number, or will I need to get the VIN from each car to determine this? Does it mean anything relevant?

For example, this is what they give,:
85 kWh Model S - 2014 - 1,553 miles - P50623 -- Im talking about the P50623 number.

My thought is, the later the production number, the better.

S##### is Signature model (number like S01234)
P##### is Production model - the Vin #.
P50623 is that number in series since 00000 - roughly 50,000th built.

I see in a TMC tracking sheet - that P50622 (one before) was built starting 9/7/14 and finished 9/18/14.
With so few miles on P50623, it would seem to be either a titled demo car or one that really wasn't used much by a real buyer.
What I find interesting is the large number of very-low-mileage cars out there on the CPO site.

S##### is Signature model (number like S01234)
P##### is Production model - the Vin #.
P50623 is that number in series since 00000 - roughly 50,000th built.

I see in a TMC tracking sheet - that P50622 (one before) was built starting 9/7/14 and finished 9/18/14.
With so few miles on P50623, it would seem to be either a titled demo car or one that really wasn't used much by a real buyer.
What I find interesting is the large number of very-low-mileage cars out there on the CPO site.

Perfect, thanks.

Maybe the wrong place to ask, but are people still seeing the various problems/maintenance issues that were popping up with the early models with these later runs?

Perfect, thanks.

Maybe the wrong place to ask, but are people still seeing the various problems/maintenance issues that were popping up with the early models with these later runs?

I would think most early model issues such as door handles and 12V batteries have been addressed by now. The car is likely in better shape now than when it originally left the factory :) Plus you get that CPO warranty but beware that unlike a private party sale, Tesla does not allow you to extend the CPO warranty for some reason.

Having said that don't pay for a CPO car sight unseen. Go look at the car in detail, ask to see the past service records so you know the history of the car, and finally take it for a pre purchase inspection at a body shop so they can examine the paint and check for any past damage so you know exactly what you are buying.

You'd think wrong. Even on my new car (1.5 months old), less than a month into ownership my door handle stopped working.

Obviously Tesla fixed it, but no, it's still an ongoing issue with the current design.

I think MsElectric is trying to say the early VIN cars that had problems have been fixed in the service center post-delivery. That's what happened with mine -- new door handles, new battery, new everything, basically. The first owner had issues but I haven't had any so far.

I think MsElectric is trying to say the early VIN cars that had problems have been fixed in the service center post-delivery. That's what happened with mine -- new door handles, new battery, new everything, basically. The first owner had issues but I haven't had any so far.

There is a big difference between fixing it and patching it. What I was saying is that all the things that Tesla did patch up in the service center for the CPO cars (door handles, 12V battery, drive train, etc.) are still design flaws in the current configuration of the car.

So you can keep patching the car and pretending that everything is peachy, or get to the root cause and fix it. There's a big difference and so far the door handles, 12V battery, drive train, etc. have not been fixed (I know from the door handle experience personally, and I've read enough here about the other major issues).

There is a big difference between fixing it and patching it. What I was saying is that all the things that Tesla did patch up in the service center for the CPO cars (door handles, 12V battery, drive train, etc.) are still design flaws in the current configuration of the car.

So you can keep patching the car and pretending that everything is peachy, or get to the root cause and fix it. There's a big difference and so far the door handles, 12V battery, drive train, etc. have not been fixed (I know from the door handle experience personally, and I've read enough here about the other major issues).

To be fair, the Gen2 door handles are a "fix" to the Gen1 door handle's shortcomings. Sadly, the Gen2 door handles have their own problems that, thus far, are only being patched. So in conversations like this, you may be talking about two different aspects and essentially, you both could be right!

To be fair, the Gen2 door handles are a "fix" to the Gen1 door handle's shortcomings. Sadly, the Gen2 door handles have their own problems that, thus far, are only being patched. So in conversations like this, you may be talking about two different aspects and essentially, you both could be right!

haha, I can agree to that.