Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heading to Houston from DFW....need charging advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you're staying immediately at the Galleria area, I would charge at Tesla's own chargers. Imo Chademo is overkill for an overnight charge.

As for the way down, there are three Superchargers. Corsicana is great and Huntsville, less so. The new Supercharger in North Houston is probably worth checking out.

With the new supercharger on I-45 as you're entering Houston you probably won't need to charge at your hotel. If you do want to find a hotel where you can charge overnight, the best way is to use the Tesla browser version of Plugshare as that lets you filter for hotels only. If you don't want to struggle with the in car browser, you can emulate the site from any computer by going to tesla.plugshare.com.

I've never heard of a hotel with CHAdeMO and doubt I ever will. It makes no sense for a hotel to install a charging station that costs >$10,000 to charge cars quickly to entice customers who stay overnight. Even a 80A HPWC is borderline overkill unless there is a valet to swap out cars. 40A charging is usually more than sufficient for an overnight stay. I'd rather see a hotel install two 50A circuits than one 100A circuit.

Plenty of other CHAdeMO in Houston though, from eVgo just as you have in DFW. Use Plugshare and filter for CHAdeMO.

Use Corsicana and Huntsville on the way down.

Not sure why you even need to use the CHAdeMO in Houston.
Just Supercharge in Huntsville or the new Supercharger on I-45 in North Houston.
Voila'!

You cannot use that much power in a day or two while in Houston.

Stop in at the Tesla Gallery; they'll love to meet you.
Just up the escalator is The Daily Grill... could do a lot worse for a meal while charging.
Your closest CHAdeMO may be at H-E-B at 5225 Buffalo Speedway - EVgo Freeedom Station that appears to be working fine.

I've never heard of a hotel with CHAdeMO and doubt I ever will. It makes no sense for a hotel to install a charging station that costs >$10,000 to charge cars quickly to entice customers who stay overnight. Even a 80A HPWC is borderline overkill unless there is a valet to swap out cars. 40A charging is usually more than sufficient for an overnight stay. I'd rather see a hotel install two 50A circuits than one 100A circuit..

Not relevant to your area, but there are several holiday inns in nj with chademo chargers. Hotels tend to have large parking lots and are located near interstate highways, so are a naturally decent site for a chademo charger (not necessarily for guests).

Not relevant to your area, but there are several holiday inns in nj with chademo chargers. Hotels tend to have large parking lots and are located near interstate highways, so are a naturally decent site for a chademo charger (not necessarily for guests).

So I assume these were installed by a charging provider like Blink, etc. and not by the hotel? I was thinking in terms of destination charging installed by the hotel.

Do you guys not do anything once you actually get to Houston? [emoji41]

I always need some sort of charge - in any event a destination charge saves heaps of unproductive time at Huntsville or the Service Center. I get the allure of free electrons, but really...

It's a shame Houston has such an anemic EV Infrastructure compared to DFW and Austin. The decision would be much easier then.