Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB Media for Tesla - great deal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thought I'd share, 30 bucks for 128GB low profile flash drive. Amazon.com: SanDisk Ultra Fit 128GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive (SDCZ43-128G-G46): Computers Accessories .. it's about 1/2 the price I've seen otherwise.
Just copy your media on to this, and plug into the USB port in your Model S. Remember to format it as FAT32.

So a couple things:
1). That link had your affiliate tag on it so you make money if anyone buys that after clicking the link. Which is fine, but...
2). You only have 12 posts, which makes the whole thing a little suspicious, and...
3). That's not a great deal. There are 128 gig flash drives on amazon for about $30 and the one you're linking to costs $80.

Dunno, man. Seems a bit disingenuous...

So a couple things:
1). That link had your affiliate tag on it so you make money if anyone buys that after clicking the link. Which is fine, but...
2). You only have 12 posts, which makes the whole thing a little suspicious, and...
3). That's not a great deal. There are 128 gig flash drives on amazon for about $30 and the one you're linking to costs $80.

Dunno, man. Seems a bit disingenuous...

Ok I swear, when I posted the link it was $30. They must have just raised the price. Not sure what happened.
I hadn't seen a low profile drive for $30 before, they are twice the price usually.
Agree about the affiliate link + 12 posts part. I always share only affiliate links (habit!).

Edit : The non-affiliate link is still $30 -
Amazon.com: SanDisk Ultra Fit 128GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive (SDCZ43-128G-G46): Computers Accessories

There u go!

Ok I swear, when I posted the link it was $30. They must have just raised the price. Not sure what happened.
I hadn't seen a low profile drive for $30 before, they are twice the price usually.
Agree about the affiliate link + 12 posts part. I always share only affiliate links (habit!).

Edit : The non-affiliate link is still $30 -
Amazon.com: SanDisk Ultra Fit 128GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive (SDCZ43-128G-G46): Computers Accessories

There u go!

FWIW I wanted to point out that @donkeykong's statement appears to be true as I just looked up the Amazon price history. Apparently this flash drive was actually offered by Amazon for $30 for a short duration of time and here's the proof so don't be too hard on him as I think he was just trying to help and share (what was) a good deal:

https://thetracktor.com/detail/B00YFI1EBC/

Capture_2.JPG

FYI, you can get 1.5 TB slim USB drives for about $50 from Amazon. 10-12 times the storage for about twice this price. A lot of the slim drives fit between the center floor area and the drivers seat. Mine's been working flawlessly for 8 months now.

FYI, you can get 1.5 TB slim USB drives for about $50 from Amazon. 10-12 times the storage for about twice this price. A lot of the slim drives fit between the center floor area and the drivers seat. Mine's been working flawlessly for 8 months now.

This would be great for those of us with large lossless media libraries :) How did you format the 1.5 TB drive so that you can copy that much data to the drive from a PC and then have the Tesla software be able to read all the media? With that much media, the first time you plugged that drive in did it take a while for the software in the car to scan and build a database of all the media or does that happen very quickly?

We bought a 1T slim drive, but it came with a very short cord that is not long enough to place it somewhere "unnoticable" from the outside. I once had a sunroof pried open for a $20 Walkman, so I will not leave the slim drive where it's viewable, which means we either have to get a better/longer cord or move to this USB for most of our listening. FWIW, when we do leave the slim drive plugged in (like in the garage) it keeps playing. We expected it to work like Slacker stations where it would pick up where it left off when you start a new trip. I think this means that the USB should only be left plugged in if you manually turn the media off.

By the way, after a lot of false starts, I used the free home version of this: MiniAide fat32 formatter tool-hard disk partition to reformat the slim drive. With Windows 7 I guess you need an add-on program to do this formatting. Worked like a charm once I got it downloaded.