Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging a Tesla in Switzerland

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So far, I have used 4 different charging stations in Switzerland. Here are my thoughts. I would love to hear from other Tesla "users" about their experience:

You can look up the exact location at LEMnet - Internationales Verzeichnis der Stromtankstellen

On the highway A1 Deitingen direction Zürich:
Park And Charge. Two places. 16 A. But I'm wondering whar are you doing with just 10 Aon the highway?

On the highway A1 Grauholz both direction.
4 places, up to 30 A. Free. Nice. A nice restaurant ( for a highway stop )

th_d4a9756f.jpg

In Bern, next to the Waisenhausplatz. Park and Charge. Two places 16 A. Nice. All the shops and restaurants around! ( Best place to park if you are visiting Bern )

In Murten Park and Charge. One place. 16 A. Jsut at the gate of the medieval town of Murten!

th_95d9c1f6.jpg

Spotted a RWE Charging Pole with Mennekes right next to Rinspeed Headquater in Zumikon.

http://www.rwe.com/web/cms/de/250036/effizienz/presse/pressemeldung/?pmid=4005889

b37b8e9f820dd2965bd25e139605f44e6974cc96.jpe

Hi, As an American Pre-Owner, I'm hopeful not to have the problem charging that Europeans have, as 40 amperes @ 240 volts is commonly available in American Homes. I understand Volkswagen has decided on a 3-phase standard, so am I correct in assuming that anything but the smallest home in Europe has a 240Y/416 volt 50 hz 3-phase electric service? In America, only the very largest mansions have anything more than a 240 volt single phase service, with 100 amperes being the minimum for new construction, up to 200 amperes for average sized electrically heated homes, and 300 or 400 amperes for the very largest electricaly heated homes, but again, almost always single phase service.

Could any of our European friends clue me in as to what is 'standard' in Europe? I understand branch lighting circuits are either 6 or 10 amperes, and appliance circuits are either 10 or 16 amperes (always @ 240 volts 50 hz). Thank you so much.

Bill

an normal house in Germany has 400V/64A at 3-phase, can be upgraded with no problems to 128A. That's 44kW or 88kW power. If you have a heat pump etc. you will have an additional circuit with own fuses etc. Our electric stove with oven has a 400V/16A 3-phase direct connection (no plug/socket). I have already an 20 year old socket with 400V/32A in my garage. Unfortunately i can only charge on one phase, thats means instead of 22kW I can only charge with 7kW. Our standard household socket comes with 230V/16A single phase and is available everywhere in Germany. Even this is enough with 3,5kW if you charge overnight and not having the battery completely depleted before.

Last edited:
In Europe we have 240V 50Hz (see image).

Weltkarte_der_Netzspannungen_und_Netzfrequenzen.svg

As we have 3-Phase grids (I can speak for Switzerland), every House also has 380/400V 3-Phase access (for stoves, cooking plates...). This because one is not allowed to pull more than 3500W one phase (which means 16A@240V). If you want to use Units with more than 3500W (stoves etc.), you have to use 3-Phase wirings (to avoid the so-called "Schieflast").Standard breakers are mostly 10A or 13A (2400W - 3200W).

ps. The term 3-Phase right, but not complete. If you look at the plugs we have 5 pins. That's 3 phases (L1,L2,L3), one Neutral and one Ground. Neutral is "equalising current".

Last edited:
^ but getting 3-phase is pretty easy as it's in virtually every street. My apartment block has 3 phase, with each apartment connected to one of them - but it would be trivial to connect an outdoor charge point to all three. Electrically heated homes here will have 3 phase.

So, if you upgrade your Charging infrastructor 10A to 16A you have to upgrade the roadster firmware to get 16A (Mode 1, without signal) with the original 10/16A Cable ?

If you have a 16A firmware can you set 10A at the roadster VDS ? What is minimum Amps?

Is the original EU 10/16A 240V cable named "Spare Mobile Connector" like the US 120V 15A cable ?

So, if you upgrade your Charging infrastructor 10A to 16A you have to upgrade the roadster firmware to get 16A (Mode 1, without signal) with the original 10/16A Cable ?

yes. In Switzerland the standard outlet is 10A (newer ones may have 13A). To avoid triggering the fuse of standard outlet TM has modified the firmware to charge at 10A if no pilot is present.

If you have a 16A firmware can you set 10A at the roadster VDS ? What is minimum Amps?

yes.

Is the original EU 10/16A 240V cable named "Spare Mobile Connector" like the US 120V 15A cable ?

yes. It's the same cable as it doesn't supply any pilot signal. If you want to charge 16A with a Swiss Roadster you have to get a UMC with 16A-Adapter. (or have your firmware modified...)

Teslaroadster charging Support in Switzerland, CH-TAB conform, TAB>Technische AnschlussBedingungen, technical connection roules

30A / 32A 240V 7,2 / 7,68kVA with 400V 20A breaker / fuse

40A 240V 9,6kVA with 400V 25A breaker / fuse, typical for appartments

70A 240V 16,8kVA with 400V 50A breaker / fuse, typical for house connection

The Swiss CH-TAB limits single phase to 16A 230V 3,6kVA , or 16A 400V 6kVA

If there are favorable grid conditions, I support you to get, by the utility, a conditional connection, with higher rates.

EmQ Energy meets Quality

Last edited:
"Switzerland decided to install on all charging stations a 64A Tesla connector :)))))"

I am completly surprised and can hardly imagine such a intension.
Can you say more to this subject !
Who is Switzerland?
Could you help me to get in contact to the swiss Tesla owner, to find out more about this strategie.