Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I wait for the Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Model S even pre-owned is still fairly out of range realistically. Any suggestions on good 2-3 year car to lease to wait for the Model 3?

I guess it all depends on your budget and what you want to spend monthly.

If you have a little more flexibility than a Sonata, then maybe consider a BMW 3 series. Or even a Honda Accord.

The Model S even pre-owned is still fairly out of range realistically. Any suggestions on good 2-3 year car to lease to wait for the Model 3?
Unfortunately, your options are not great. You typically pay a pretty significant premium for a hybrid over a fuel efficient ICE (a premium that you will not make up for in fuel savings unless you drive a lot) so looking at something like an Elantra or Sentra may be a good stop-gap until the Model 3 comes out.

If a CPO S is out of reach, then I would say the only thing that comes close to getting you the range that is reasonably priced is the current model Volt - Chevy is offering great deals to get rid of them before V2 comes out, so now is the time.

Get Leaf MY16, if the 30 kWh will be sufficient for your needs (would work if you have an ICE in the family). That should be out in a month or two. Better not to burn fossil fuels as you wait for Model 3. You can even get it for a 2 year lease and extend the lease (month by month) for a year. That would take you all the way till Sep/Oct 2018 - and hopefully Model 3 will be around by then.

I tell everyone our company CMAX plug in handles worse, accelerates worse, costs more and has less room (the batteries take space behind the second seat) but it has a green sticker for the commuter lane. Basically it is a $30K green sticker.

The model S is great car.

I wouldn't bother with a hybrid unless it's an interesting car (eg NOT a sonata...). Just get something fun and reasonably practical with a compelling engine. Or just buy a used ICE to tide you over. I personally wouldn't bother with any of the EVs out there right now other than Model S. Or buy a clunker and save up for a couple years. Personally I'm a fan of german cars... but to each their own.

I don't get why anyone would buy a hybrid. In addition to the batteries, motor(s) you still have the gas engine and all of the subsystems that go with it (exhaust, radiator, emissions controls, filters, etc).
As with any purchase, there are pros and cons. Price (OK, there is a hybrid premium in comparison to an ICE, I admit), using less oil than a pure ICE, not idling in traffic/stoplights, and great reliability are four items that come to mind. Prii have been known to get upwards of 300k on a single traction battery. The cons you mentioned are the reason I'm excited about a Model 3.

Last edited:

Chevy Volt, I have both a Model S and a Chevy Volt. Great lease prices, and you don't have to use gas if you don't want to. The Volt was my "wait" car until the Model 3 came out, and then there was CPO. Slight change of plans.

I don't get why anyone would buy a hybrid. In addition to the batteries, motor(s) you still have the gas engine and all of the subsystems that go with it (exhaust, radiator, emissions controls, filters, etc).
When done right, you get all the benefits of electric, with none of the drawbacks. Unfortunately "done right" means spending upwards of $500K -- at least til the new NSX and GTR come out.