Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2nd Charge Port Replacement...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SabrToothSqrl

Dec 5, 2014
PA
So... I have to go BACK the 70 miles (one way) to the service center for what will be my second charge port... so, that's the 3rd counting the original.

Any chance of talking them into swapping it w/the auto close one? I'd kick in the $ difference in the parts...

Anyone tried this?

My last one, all the lights died.

This one, 1/2 the lights died, and when I'm driving along, the dash will randomly say the charge port is open! and sometimes it won't open!

Even if it's technically possible, Tesla probably won't let you pay the difference on top of a warranty replacement. This would encourage fraud. If someone wants an upgraded part for cheap, they would just need to break the old part in a way that would trigger a warranty replacement. You are obviously not trying to scam anybody, but there are some people who would.

Even if it's technically possible, Tesla probably won't let you pay the difference on top of a warranty replacement. This would encourage fraud. If someone wants an upgraded part for cheap, they would just need to break the old part in a way that would trigger a warranty replacement. You are obviously not trying to scam anybody, but there are some people who would.

This. My mirrors were replaced under warranty and I couldn't just pay the difference to get the power folding retrofit b/c of this very reason. That said, there could come a time that Tesla stops stocking the non-auto close charge ports and they have to use the newer style on your car. For instance, my pano got newer style (not the newest though) rails and windscreen when it was serviced b/c the version on my car originally just isn't available anymore. My motor mount also was just changed with a drive unit swap b/c the newer drive units mount slightly differently than my original one.

Yea, no scam here, but I can understand how that would work...

In all honesty, I just want what I bought to work... driving 1.5 hours each way, to spend 3 hours at a service center isn't my idea of a good time.

I never thought about it, and don't know why I always forget to close the stupid little door flapper... I close it soon as the dash yells at me, but I'm like... why? I don't forget to close gas ones.

OMG, I had to fill up our other car... I actually forgot what a hassle that is! Had to run the credit card, had to enter my zip code, ugh.

Would be nice if Tesla would publish their service manuals and let us purchase parts. Replacing a charge port doesn't seem all that daunting to me. Isolate HV, open up the paneling in the back, remove the mounts/connections, reattach. Guess this would only appeal to those of us out of warranty.

Would be nice if Tesla would publish their service manuals and let us purchase parts. Replacing a charge port doesn't seem all that daunting to me. Isolate HV, open up the paneling in the back, remove the mounts/connections, reattach. Guess this would only appeal to those of us out of warranty.

Which will be a lot of us soon. 50,000 miles is about 2 years of driving for quite a few folk. In fairness, most will probably pony up the next $4K for an additional 2-3 years.

However, some would much prefer to roll the dice. We shouldn't have to live in Massachusetts to have service manual access. Although I doubt that arrangement includes shop manuals and technical bulletins, anyway. Parts access would be good.

Will be interesting to see how Tesla chooses to handle this. Spending $4K for 2 years of protection for a (at that point) $40K car is not as cut and dried as it appears. More to the point, 4-5 years goes by fast.

I'm happy to own a car with 75% fewer moving parts. It's the non-moving parts that are of more concern, however.

Oh, and I'm on my second charge port assembly in about 6 months, and the door's getting flaky with this new one now too. If an auto-closing variant is less prone to failure, one would think they'd proactively replace with that if/when there's a 2nd failure in less than a year. That fraud excuse is a canard.

I've always thought it would be cheaper to produce one of a thing, even if it costs slightly more, than two of a thing... so... eventually they'd just 'run out' of the manual closing ones... I can't imagine they are still making them?

So... I have to go BACK the 70 miles (one way) to the service center for what will be my second charge port... so, that's the 3rd counting the original.

Your third charge port? How are you charging, including at what amperage out of the maximum amperage possible?

Also, do you think you might have line issues which could be blowing out the lights on the port? If so, you might need a voltage/current/surge regulator and protector.