Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S - As a Police Car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SabrToothSqrl

Dec 5, 2014
PA
So, I'm on another forum and we are talking about squeaky brakes in a patrol car, and my personal ideals aside; what about a Model S cop car?

(I assume) the patrol car starts and ends it's shift at the police station (perfect charge point, may even have 480v), you could sneak up on criminal activity.

You don't have to leave it idling all day (or ever) to get heat or A/C. You can 0-60 in 3.0, it's AWD, and has a 5.4 crash rating!

What about the Model S (or soon X) isn't a perfect use case for a cop car?

Can anyone do up some graphics of a Model S as a police car? Do police cars go over 250 miles/day? If they did, can they not radio for backup?

Between fuel savings, oil changes, and other obsolete crap, not to mention the cool factor, why not?!

So, I'm on another forum and we are talking about squeaky brakes in a patrol car, and my personal ideals aside; what about a Model S cop car?

(I assume) the patrol car starts and ends it's shift at the police station (perfect charge point, may even have 480v), you could sneak up on criminal activity.

You don't have to leave it idling all day (or ever) to get heat or A/C. You can 0-60 in 3.0, it's AWD, and has a 5.4 crash rating!

What about the Model S (or soon X) isn't a perfect use case for a cop car?

Can anyone do up some graphics of a Model S as a police car? Do police cars go over 250 miles/day? If they did, can they not radio for backup?

Between fuel savings, oil changes, and other obsolete crap, not to mention the cool factor, why not?!

For a proper patrol car, you really want more length in the rear seat area, and a fixed rear seat with an actual trunk rather than a hatchback. You need enough room to easily get uncooperative handcuffed people into the backseat *after* installing a barrier between the seats, and a way to block them out of the trunk space (though a lot of the traditional trunk items could probably go in the Frunk instead.)

We don't know a whole lot about the X yet, but from what we do know it would probably be a lot more suitable in stock form - and could pretty easily be modified to be very suitable, with a single fixed rear bench and divider behind it. The huge Falcon Door opening would certainly make life easier...

Somewhere on TMC is another thread about this from a few years ago. In the thread someone cited a white paper that a police department drafted, showing that most of the fuel a police car consumes is done so while idling. The Model S would be ideal in that regard, as it uses so little energy while "idling."

There are lots of specialized vehicles that should be electric. At big sporting events, look for the ambulances that are sitting there idling all day. Once prices come down, look for an explosion of battery vehicle types...

Extant_snapshot_00_31_39_[2014_08_28_23_27_23].jpg

Found this while searching custom S pictures.

Way too luxurious and expensive for cops their job is not to have "cool factor"...only if it's not on tax payer dollars and they buy it themselves. Otherwise model 3s for the Popo... Better yet give them Chevy volts :)

How often are police actually in need of serious performance?? Most of what they do involves catching motorists off guard or sneaking up on them at highway speeds.

Last edited:
I think it's very cool and a definite landmark that an electric vehicle has made its way into the police force. I think it attests to Tesla'a performance and quality that the state spent bought such an expensive car for their force.

However, I'm not sure this is the best look for Tesla's brand perception in the long run. Nobody wants to drive police cars and I think it slightly diminishes the perception around the luxury of the product. What does everybody think?

I wonder how much drag the light bar creates ;)

A bit, but then police cars mostly just sit around at donut shops, right? :wink:

- - - Updated - - -

I think it's very cool and a definite landmark that an electric vehicle has made its way into the police force. I think it attests to Tesla'a performance and quality that the state spent bought such an expensive car for their force.

However, I'm not sure this is the best look for Tesla's brand perception in the long run. Nobody wants to drive police cars and I think it slightly diminishes the perception around the luxury of the product. What does everybody think?

The LAPD didn't buy the car, it's on loan for testing purposes.

Lots of people drive makes of cars that have been/are used as police vehicles, Crown Vic, Torino, Mustang, Camaro, Caprice, Taurus, Impala, Charger... Plus Model S is a 'premium' vehicle, not a 'luxury' vehicle. If Tesla can sell fleets of Model S's for police cars, I think it would be awesome for a lot of reasons.

I noted in particular the lack of spotlights on the A-pillars and wondered if they were sacrificed so they didn't drag the car down more.

I think this is going to be rare, I really doubt you're going to see huge fleets of Model S's like the Chevy Impala.

That said, I know a lot of Dodge Charger R/T drivers and the topic of them driving police cars doesn't seem to come up too much.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's an article and a link to the announcement:
Breaking: LAPD Adds Tesla Model S P85D And BMW i3 To Police Fleet - Art of Gears