Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dutch Road Trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dpeilow

May 23, 2008
Winchester, UK
Assuming I can make it through the Channel Tunnel no problem, I will be bringing the Roadster to the Netherlands tomorrow.

My plan is to use the HPC at nSolar in Bruges, before heading to a meeting in Sint Niklaas where I can get a 16A top up for a few hours.

My main concern (apart from being hugely delayed by the tunnel) is that the nSolar guys are on holiday so I'm on my own if there is a problem. I have a The New Motion card, which I think should work on charge points in Belgium, but this would probably be a long wait. Are there any other HPCs in the Antwerp area?

ECSAT-ESTEC.png

Last edited:
Some Roadster-owners have bought a cable or adapter with Mennekes / type2 plug. They can charge 63A at fast-chargers in the Netherlands. I drive a MS but I have also some experience with a rented Roadster. I don't know which chargers deliver the 63A for a Roadster and which do not. Most of these chargers should work with your charging card...

See also thread on page 5 now: roadster kabelmodificaties 64A laden

Last edited:
Some Roadster-owners have bought a cable or adapter with Mennekes / type2 plug. They can charge 63A at fast-chargers in the Netherlands. I drive a MS but I have also some experience with a rented Roadster. I don't know which chargers deliver the 63A for a Roadster and which do not. Most of these chargers should work with your charging card...

See also thread on page 5 now: roadster kabemodificaties 64A laden
The total gasstation in antwerp at the bonapartedok has a hpc but never used it so can't confirm how to activate it.

See also thread on page 5 now: roadster kabelmodificaties 64A laden

Small addition/clarification - a standard RS - Mennekes cable can charge at 32A and is meant to connect to 3x32A chargers. You need to modify the plug and use a heavier cable to boost this to 63A. It will still be single phase, so a standard 32A Mennekes has wires that are not fit to handle 63A single phase.

But indeed, most 32A chargers do provide 63A single phase with such a cable.

I'm currently sitting at nSolar charging so luckily I haven't needed the plan B (yet).

One thing I have noticed though is that when I charged at 70A the voltage sag is really bad. I got the "extension cord detected" warning and it was at 208V when at 0A it is at 236V. After an hour the charge stopped (just as I'd walked off to find coffee - lucky I have OVMS). I dialled the charge back to 55A and this gave me a more reasonable 220V.

These guys are using a three phase to single phase converter and claiming this is a 90A charger but really its just 3x30A into a normal HPC. I suggest it is not powerful enough to sustain 16kW over a few hours.

So my trip went pretty well in fact.

After loading up cables, adapters, fire extinguishers and not to forget, my suitcase, the car was pretty well packed.

20150804_115644.jpg

First stop was a meeting at the new European Space Agency place near Oxford.

20150803_175545.jpg

In the evening I headed to the Ashford International Hotel near the Channel Tunnel where I used their HPC but stayed overnight.

20150803_203456.jpg

Then it was an early start to check in at the Channel Tunnel at 5:15 AM!

20150804_053453.jpg

20150804_053537.jpg

Then on to N.Solar in Bruges. Everyone there was on holiday, but they said the HPC would be available to use. It just pokes through a hole in the wall. This is the key link between the UK and mainland European networks, but as I said above, be careful about taking 70 Amps from it for too long. 55 was about the most it would sustain at a sensible voltage.

20150804_085326.jpg
20150804_111311.jpg

655 km later I was at my friend's place in Leiden in Holland where I am staying for this assignment.

Then today it was on to the European Space Agency technical centre at Noordwijk. Here we are well catered for with charging, but still 18 EVs attempt to use this, so it can get quite busy.

20150805_082717.jpg
20150805_082822.jpg

And finally a quick check of a FastNed station on the way home from work :)

20150805_184206.jpg

Last edited:
Haha, FN must be having a field day with this event, just like David is.
banaan.gif

Nice wheels on the Roadster! They even have different rotation direction on the left and right side. (The Model S 21" turbines don't have that.)

Last edited: