Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Story on Aluminum

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TEG

Teslafanatic
Aug 20, 2006
Considering that Model S is expected to use lots of Aluminum, I thought this was of some interest:

Lackluster Aluminum Is Gaining Momentum - Seeking Alpha
Aluminum production is a very energy-intensive process. So much so that some traders joke that it’s nothing more than “congealed electricity.”
Indeed, electricity does account for about 40% of aluminum production costs. And that fact has led to a very significant change to the market.
The Chinese government’s push to reduce power consumption has curbed production of the metal. It even cut off power to aluminum smelters altogether late last year...

Nearly 16 kWh per kg in fact, but recycled aluminium needs only 5% as much energy to make, so they'd be sensible to source that.

So not a problem. If the Model S contains 1000kg of aluminium, that is 16.000kWh. If the car lasts 20 years (average for all cars in Norway), that is only 800kWh per year, around the energy contained in 20 gallons of gasoline.

After 20 years you spend another 800kWh to recycle all the 1000kg of aluminium.

So not a problem. If the Model S contains 1000kg of aluminium, that is 16.000kWh. If the car lasts 20 years (average for all cars in Norway), that is only 800kWh per year, around the energy contained in 20 gallons of gasoline.

After 20 years you spend another 800kWh to recycle all the 1000kg of aluminium.

Great breakdown...... I think pepople are wasting too much time on the energy used to produce the TM product line and are not focusing on the enery savings of the line. There is always going to be energy expendiutre in the manufacturing process may it be solar, wind, hydro-electric, LPG, coal or others. Please think of the end result.

I'm not sure the energy content of gasoline is directly relevant.

If it takes 16000 kWh to make a tonne of aluminium then that's 8320kg of CO2 (on our grid) so the equivalent emissions of 70000km in a modern diesel sedan.

The emissions from a steel plant are about 2.3kg CO2 per kg steel, so a tonne produces the equivalent of 19300km in the diesel.

Looked at another way, if the car lasts 250000 km (156250 miles), then you need to save 24g/km by using aluminium. That translates to 46 Wh/km, so roughly 25% in normal driving.

All this is pretty rough (particularly without knowing the metal content in the car exactly). But I do think it is worth them sourcing aluminium from recycled sources or the smelting electricity from renewable sources.

I think pepople are wasting too much time on the energy used to produce the TM product line and are not focusing on the enery savings of the line.

You need to look at all of it, or it may not be worth doing.