Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the new software update of more significance than usual?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the Software experts among us or others who are of the know.

The Model S has been on iterations of 2.4.xxx since March 28th 2015 with 13 updates of the 2.4.xxx version, the latest has seen a dot point update to 2.5.21
Does this mean a significant update? I understand we are waiting on Version 7 but this could be a significant step towards that version or am I looking too far into that dot point upgrade path.

What do you think?

Updating now. I expect lane keeping and self parallel parking as per Elons last tweet. This won't be 7 yet. That will be a press announcement I expect. Given that we have been told it is a game changer. I am on 238, and in the States they are up to around the 250 mark, so we have missed out on a bunch of intermediate updates. Good on the Yanks- they troubleshoot them before we get them!!

6.2(2.5.21) is the latest version. It is mainly an update related to charging locations and their display on the map. Other improvements include reduced blind spot warning false alarms, more responsive TACC at higher speeds. Automatic emergency braking improved to reduce the impact of an unavoidable frontal collision.
So, all in all, not a big update. Not a major improvement to navigation or the additional autopilot features we have been waiting for.

Last edited:
6.2(2.5.21) is the latest version. It is mainly an update related to charging locations and their display on the map. Other improvements include reduced blind spot warning false alarms, more responsive TACC at higher speeds. Automatic emergency braking improved to reduce the impact of an unavoidable frontal collision.
So, all in all, not a big update. Not a major improvement to navigation or the additional autopilot features we have been waiting for.

Thanks Dborn. My excitement level can now return to a more manageable level. :biggrin:

Updating now. I expect lane keeping and self parallel parking as per Elons last tweet. This won't be 7 yet. That will be a press announcement I expect. Given that we have been told it is a game changer. I am on 238, and in the States they are up to around the 250 mark, so we have missed out on a bunch of intermediate updates. Good on the Yanks- they troubleshoot them before we get them!!

You weren't seriously expecting that were you? His tweet talked about the corner cases they were still trying to resolve. That doesn't equate to a software release a few days later, more like months. Unless they planned to release without those resolved, which is quite possible, but then why mention them. Plus I thought those features have been slated to be part of 7.0 for a long time?

Just got this update today. Went from .258 to 2.5.21.. I don't have any of the autopilot stuff in my car so nice to see Tesla hasn't left us pre-autopilot folks behind

It appears the latest update 6.2 (2.5.21) was to patch for the '- Fixes August 2015 DefCon Model S vulnerability hack(s)'
So that should go to every Model S

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showwiki.php?title=Model+S+software+firmware+changelog

Here's a pretty good article about the hackers vs Tesla:
http://www.wired.com/2015/08/researchers-hacked-model-s-teslas-already/

This,

I'm going to the talk at Defcon tomorrow, should be interesting.

Ok,
So if I understand correctly, anyone who let some stranger disassemble the dash of their Model S and plug their laptop into the LAN port behind, might be at risk of being hacked. In any case the update my car did last night has prevented even that.
Move along - nothing to see here. :rolleyes:

Been offline for several dats, so please forgive me if this has been posted. I updated about 4 days ago; today I noticed that hill-hold (my term) works the way many of us have expressed it should. Now, if I stop the car going up hill, foot on brake, then off, the brakes hold and prevent it from rolling for about a second. Previously it would only stop you from rolling in the direction of travel, now it's both ways.

This,

I'm going to the talk at Defcon tomorrow, should be interesting.

Maybe also this...PKES Relay Attack first identified in 2010...fake increased distance reporting, gain access & drive away with a $17 device. Not sure that's been fixed...has it? I hope it has. No new protocols or hardware needed using behaviour verification, a triangulation system based on distance-bounding protocols and distributed knowledge between nodes.

Okay, so 2.5.21 is the latest firmware I can find any reference to anywhere, and what I've been on for a while now.

So what is the update that my car is currently applying as we speak???? !!! I had no email so I assume I'm not in the early access group for the next release, so will be intriguing to see what it is. I've never received an update before without seeing multiple references to it in the forums first, at least from US customers.