Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Kennewick, WA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last night I was at Fred Meyer's in Kennewick and there is some interesting construction going on in the parking lot that looks very much like 8 Tesla Superchargers going in. Not sure if it is superchargers but looks very much like them. I have some pictures but not sure how to post on here.

Charger1

@Charger1, to post a picture, use the picture icon in the Reply box that opens up. I've loaded fairly large jpegs in the past. I grew up in Kennewick (my family still lives in the area), and would be thrilled if Tesla put a Supercharger there! Post pics as soon as you can!

IMG_1243.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

my phone is not focusing very good at all for some reason but they sure do look like the beginning of superchargers. I'll stop by tomorrow and take a look again.

Fantastic news. How did the permit scouts miss that one :wink:. The permit has been issued on 6/24 already, even in Tesla's name: Permit

"CONSTRUCTION OF A SUPERCHARGING STATION FOR ELECTRIC VEHICLES: REPLACE 8 PARKING STALLS WITH 10 PARKING STALLS (8 WITH CHARGING POSTS, 2 WITHOUT) AND EQUIPMENT ENCLOSURE"

I guess this means a bit of a delay for Twin Falls assuming it's the same crew working on I-84. Still fantastic news for me. I have a trip planned next month to Montana and having a SC in Tri Cities means shaving 40 miles and about an hour off of the trip and avoiding Ellensburg (along with its potential ICE issues).

I guess this means a bit of a delay for Twin Falls assuming it's the same crew working on I-84. Still fantastic news for me. I have a trip planned next month to Montana and having a SC in Tri Cities means shaving 40 miles and about an hour off of the trip and avoiding Ellensburg (along with its potential ICE issues).

Actually, if you have an 85, you can make it from The Dalles to Ritzville without a stop. The one at Kennewick will make it easier though. You could get from Kennewick to Coeur d'Alene without a stop.

I talked to the contractors today, they said there were NOT the same contractors doing Boise, so there is still hope for Twin Falls. Also said this should be done "in a couple of weeks". I will try and keep everyone up to date.

Charger1

Actually, if you have an 85, you can make it from The Dalles to Ritzville without a stop. The one at Kennewick will make it easier though. You could get from Kennewick to Coeur d'Alene without a stop.

Key word "if". There are many of us (including myself) with a 60 and now 70s that need this. From The Dalles, using the EV Trip Planner site shows with a speed setting of 1.1, it will require 162 rated miles. So that means near range charge for 60s and being careful if the weather is bad or a good head wind just to get here.

Regardless, still a good thing all around and needed at this site! I'm also glad to hear this is a different crew and not a cause of a delay for Twin Falls.

I made the run from Ritzville to the Dalles nonstop in July. I charged is much as I could at the Ritzville SC. As I proceeded south towards the Dalles a yellow rectangle appeared with a warning, then a red rectangle appeared telling me that I would not make it without a charge. I slowed down to 5 miles below the speed limit and the red rectangle disappeared and eventually the yellow rectangle disappeared. Even though there were very high headwinds going down the Columbia Gorge I arrived at the Dalles with 24 miles remaining. I was driving a brand-new 85-D with less than 800 miles on the odometer

As much as it would be nice to see the I-84 route completed, Kennewick's a twofer, so it's great for us Supercharger watches to see. :D

Yes, and more. It allows those of us who need to transit the southern tier of WA state E/W or W/E on secondary roads to do so practically and efficiently. Considering how many Teslas there are in WA and BC, it is surprising to me that WA has only had four superchargers thus far!

----

We may need this SpC early next month. Anyone local who can keep an eye on the progress and report here would be greatly appreciated!

Vger said: "We may need this SpC early next month. Anyone local who can keep an eye on the progress and report here would be greatly appreciated![/QUOTE]"

Yes, and those of us who hit all the local superchargers when they open want to know, too! Maybe we can have a meet up.

Construction Update – August 4th

The SC location is about 3 miles from I-82 on the Ellensburg to Pendleton route, and several hundred yards from US-395 on the Ritzville to The Dalles route. I took several progress photos around 5pm today.

There are 8 bays – 1 drive-in with room for a handicap zone and 7 back-in stalls. Some concrete was poured today for transformer pad and light pole piers. Rebar is onsite but not yet assembled. Once assembled the equipment pad and the side walk holding the charging stands will be ready for the next pour.

Overall the site is coming along very fast, but I am not predicting an end date. I think I jinxed Boise’s opening with a prediction. What was different at this site from others I have visited is there is no container near the site with the charging equipment. This may not be here, or is being stored at an alternate location by the installation contractor. This is the only SC site I have visited were the charging bays are in a parking lot shared with a gas station. My only concern is snow removal. Every 10 years or so, there is significant snowfall here and the new charger location removed one of the key snow storage places from the large parking lot.

Oh yes you really wanted to see the photos:

8 bays
8 bays.JPG

Transformer pad
Transformer pad.JPG

Future pad for equipment enclosure
Equipment enclosure.JPG

Host location has good in-store deli and a Mexican restaurant is also in parking lot
Fred Meyer.JPG

A great reminder as to why you own a Tesla as you depart for your next adventure
gas prices.JPG

Last edited: