Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Single versus Dual Chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have S60 with Dual chargers enabled and High Power Wall Connector also (HPWC).
Currently, shows charging at 40A. When I try to increase the amps above 40A on touchscreen, will not let me.
NOW, has full charge, not sure if that has anything to do with it.
Shouldn't I be able to increase above 40A?????? OR am I missing something.

Great info here:
Tesla Charging | Tesla Motors

damn, I see two circuit breakers connected to the Charger but if each breaker is 20A, that would equal 40A.
NO, I am uncertain if only feeding 40A but sounds like it could be.
I would "assume" that if it was 80A then I could increase the Amps in the Tesla to accept 80A?

If you want to charge at 80 amps, you actually need a 100 amp breaker. Even if you switched your breaker out to 100A, the wiring you have in place now may not be capable of handling it, so you would want to be sure of that first. Finally, the HPWC itself has dip switches inside that need to be flipped to the correct configuration to engage charging at 80 amps.

I would highly recommend consulting with a certified electrician before making any changes to your system.

Just checked garage circuit breaker panel and for sure 100A circuit (Two 50A breakers). This is my HPWC. When unplugged, charging page shows 80A but when plugged in shows charging at 39/40A.
I know about the dip switches and will check those also. Certified electrician installed. Definitely not charging at 80A rate which should be around 58 miles charge/Hr.
will update soon
IMG_3143.jpg
IMG_3147.JPG

Interesting. Just opened panel and dip switch was set to 50A. I have no idea why electrician would have done this. QUESTION NOW is: to take advantage of dual chargers WHAT should I position should dip switch be in?
i.e. I have a choice from 40A to 100A. To be safe, I would presume 80A to not load circuit breaker at 100A. ADVICE?

Interesting. Just opened panel and dip switch was set to 50A. I have no idea why electrician would have done this. QUESTION NOW is: to take advantage of dual chargers WHAT should I position should dip switch be in?
i.e. I have a choice from 40A to 100A. To be safe, I would presume 80A to not load circuit breaker at 100A. ADVICE?

The first thing to do is to be sure both 50 amp breakers are actually ganged together rather than going to separate circuits. The second thing is to insure the wiring is the correct gauge. If those are correct, then the manual shows the dip switch settings.

Definitely ganged together. I see no reason why the electrician would NOT have used 3AWG but will find out. I see what the dip setting can be switched to but wanted to know if other owners are putting dip switch to 100A for dual charging OR keeping lower, like 80A.

Dude, you do not add up two circuit breaker amperages. Two ganged 50 amp breakers does not add up to 100 amps.

Do not adjust the dip switches.

Either your electrician screwed up and installed 50 amp rated wire, or he screwed up and used 100 amp rated wire, but used a 50 amp breaker.

Either way, you need to understand more about this stuff to fix it...

Dude, you do not add up two circuit breaker amperages. Two ganged 50 amp breakers does not add up to 100 amps.

Do not adjust the dip switches.

Either your electrician screwed up and installed 50 amp rated wire, or he screwed up and used 100 amp rated wire, but used a 50 amp breaker.

Either way, you need to understand more about this stuff to fix it...

Can you show me your breakers? I would call an electrician, but I 100% agree with Cosmacelf. I think you are reading 2x50 wrong. My guess is that it's actually a 50A dipole (double pole) breaker ... it's twice as wide as the regular breakers in your panel. But because it's twice as wide and says 50 and 50 on them, it does not add to 100. It's simply a 50 drawing two hot 120v legs to make 240v, with max 80% continuous draw at 40A. Do not change your DIP switches. You will need to have 3 AWG wire and a 100A breaker for full 80A charging.

Stay safe around electricity! Always call an expert to do something that can kill you or light up your house on fire ... or worse: damage your Tesla. :)

- K

- - - Updated - - -

Here is an example of a dipole 50A breaker. It says 50 twice, but that is not 100A total ... it's 50A, meant for 40A continuous max. draw. :)

047569062797lg.jpg

I want to make sure everyone understands how serious this is. It sounds like a 50A circuit. If you change the dip switch settings, the breaker should trip before the place burns down. If you replace the breaker and set the dip switches, there's a high probability of fire. It's a good thing Cosmacelf posted and the OP checked back here before changing any settings.

Cosmacelf is really helping me out, been PM each other with pics. Thinks should be 3 AWG but not certain. Could have been installed this way due to not overloading panel.
Correct Khatsalano: That picture is what I have.
Brass Guy: Absolutely a 50A circuit.
I am NOT doing anything until I speak to electrician...NO worries there and sincerely appreciate all the help.

WRONG! For 80A output, the HPWC would need to be fed by a 2 pole 100A breaker (two 100A breakers with a common handle). You do NOT add amps!

Since you have a two-pole 50A, that means your HPWC is wired for 40A only. I suggest you call your electrician. It's possible your electrical system in house cannot support more than that.