Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest double-din navigating car stereos for Roadster 2.5 Sport?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've ordered my 2.5 Sport with only the subwoofer and backup camera installed, hoping to find a high-quality double-din navigating audio system. Every single one I read about seems to have some deficiency (I can't find any with completely excellent reviews). Anyone familiar with the best of the best new systems? I'd prefer Tom Tom for the gps, but it seems only Sony is offering that, but I might have missed something. I'd prefer a real volume knob so I don't have to push buttons on the screen to turn up/down the volume.

Yeah, I don't think there is any perfect one out there. The Pioneer top of the line unit has much better reviews than the installed Alpine. I love my old TomTom too so am considering the Sony as well.

Here's another Pioneer that may interest you. It has Google maps feed as well and Pandora if you like streaming your music.

Pioneer AVIC-X920BT

h130AViC920-o_other.jpeg

The AVIC-X920BT guides you with detailed Tele Atlas® maps of Canada and the entire U.S., stored on built-in flash memory so you won't have to insert a disc when you need directions. Over 12 million points-of-interest help you find the services you need when traveling, whether you're looking for a gas station or your favorite coffee shop. The system's text-to-speech function announces street names as you go, so you'll always know you're making the correct turn.

AVIC FEEDS

Pioneer's AVIC FEEDS add a whole new level of fun and functionality to your navigation experience. If you've got an iPhone® you can use AVIC FEEDS to transfer destinations from Google Maps, download points-of-interest from the Internet, and more. The ECO Graphs function even lets you keep track of your carbon emissions and gas mileage when you're taking a trip.

approved by whom and have they said what happens to the warranty?? my dealer said that the CARs warranty would be void if I changed the alpine to something else......... Please find out and tell TMC the conclusion, because all the bad press that the alpine is getting it would be good to change but keeping the war any of a brand new car.......!

I ordered mine with an empty double din, and the Chicago dealer is going to have an approved installer put a different system in.

I wish I had know that was an option. I knew the Alpine unit wasn't that good before I got it but it'll do until next year I guess when something new comes out.

Someone at Tesla told me I could change it but I would have to get it 'approved' by Tesla. Their engineers would have to get a sample unit to see if it played nice with the Roadster's electronics or something.

I just got finished talking to the regional service manager. He said that as long as the new head unit doesn't need structural modifications to install and you have it done by a reputable installer, you are fine with an aftermarket head unit. Keeping in mind though, if your aftermarket head unit causes another component of the roadster to fail you are liable for any damages.

zack said:
I ordered mine with an empty double din, and the Chicago dealer is going to have an approved installer put a different system in.
I wish I had know that was an option. I knew the Alpine unit wasn't that good before I got it but it'll do until next year I guess when something new comes out.

Someone at Tesla told me I could change it but I would have to get it 'approved' by Tesla. Their engineers would have to get a sample unit to see if it played nice with the Roadster's electronics or something.

Wow, I wish I knew that was an option too.

There are so many threads re: issues about the Alpine on TMC, that someone should probably consolidate them ;)

I recently changed my head unit to a Pioneer AVIC-Z130BT.

To use the Rear camera you need to buy an adaptor (thanks a lot alpine... not really:cursing:).

The left hand side frame cover needs to be removed. Also the Left side dash needs to be removed and all of the old alpine components need to be removed. BUT after it is done, it looks and functions great!

Pictures to follow later.

I recently changed my head unit to a Pioneer AVIC-Z130BT.

To use the Rear camera you need to buy an adaptor (thanks a lot alpine... not really:cursing:).

The left hand side frame cover needs to be removed. Also the Left side dash needs to be removed and all of the old alpine components need to be removed. BUT after it is done, it looks and functions great!

Pictures to follow later.

I assume you looked at all the DDIN models. Why did you choose the pioneer? I'm leaning towards the kenwood DMX-9980HD.

Did you do the work yourself? I'm interested on how the center venting is connected to the dash. Any pictures of that?

Did you do the work yourself? I'm interested on how the center venting is connected to the dash. Any pictures of that?

I had it done at Car Toys, but I was with the tech while it was happening. What I have had done so far took about 3 hours to do, most of that is tracing wires and removing interior panels. I need to have the Satellite radio reinstalled, because I didn't have the cash on me at the time to install it and the radio reception still, to put it bluntly, sucks. I suspect that the carbon fiber body acts as a minor faraday cage as far as radio reception goes. I'll get pictures of the install then.

The center venting is more-or-less connected using an overlapping flange that just slips into place. The surround around the radio and the center vents are one unit.

Why did you choose the pioneer?

I looked at the majority of the models online, and narrowed it down to about 3, that one included and a sony. Then I looked at what cables needed to be changed. The Pioneer uses a mini jack as well as a USB for the iPod control, same as the Alpine. The Pioneer is also a personal preference. However they are the same price. You need to remove most of the old alpine electronics to use the iPod connector that is in the vehicle. (i.e. satellite radio interface, HD radio, and sirius connect tuner)

Just as a warning: the rear camera does not have a standard RCA plug, it needs a $200 adaptor from Alpine that they have to order. (you can imagine how pissed off I was to find this out) Here is the rear of the alpine unit:
IMAG0177.jpg

I find the Alpine adequate mostly. My bigggest bug is that the bluetooth cell microphone works poorly and is not noice cancelling. Even parked most people i call say that they are having a tough time hearing me. It is not my phone or service - they work fine in all my other vehicles.

Any suggestions on how to improve the mic?

I find the Alpine adequate mostly. My bigggest bug is that the bluetooth cell microphone works poorly and is not noice cancelling. Even parked most people i call say that they are having a tough time hearing me. It is not my phone or service - they work fine in all my other vehicles.

If the problem is that you're too quiet, there is a microphone input level adjustment in the bluetooth settings of the alpine unit. I had to increase the level - don't recall what I ended up at off-hand. You may need to experiment.

That being said, above ~70mph there is too much wind noise for it to work very well.

I bought a bluetooth headset and turned the Alpine bluetooth off. Helps a little but still so much wind noise at highway speeds that it's tough to use it.