Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Europe Roadster adapter to Typ2-connector for use 43kW-charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hi roadies,

i got it! i got an offer from the supplier of the original Roadster connector and i startet a collective purchase order here in the german tff-forum:
TFF Forum - Tesla Fahrer TR-Stecker Sammelbestellung für 63A-Typ2-Charger

why i do that?
in case of the roadster3-update i think it will not improve charging technology, so we will finaly get a bigger battery but further no improvement of charging. european
Roadies can only charge with one phase in a 3-phase-powergrid. in history it was ok, but now with more and more electric cars with better charging technology this is finaly crap.
the european HPCs will now get extention with more and more of the new ABB-stations (Chademo, CCS and 3-phase 43kW-Typ2). with the following cable i built as a prototype
you can further use HPCs with the original connector and additionally the public charge stations as mentioned above.
as alternative it would be possible to convert the Roadster to Typ2 at all (as tomsax did with J1772), but in this case it's not possible to use the Tesla-HPC-stations anymore. and ... i don't
want to change original equipment and technology of the Tesla Roadster.

it was not easy to find the supplier. ordering only one ore two pieces is really expensive, so that's why i startet this collective purchase order.

now i can offer all european Roadies two options:

Option A:
only the original TR-connector for DIY or as spare part, price EUR 500,- (without VAT) *) **)

Option B
original TR-connector on car-side and a Type2-car-inlet on the other side. this cable is made for
direct connection of the Roadster with the european triple-charging stations, which are permanently under
construction over the whole EU. the Roadster can directly communicate with the charging station, no need
of an ICCB in the cable. you can connect the fixed typ2-cable with this adapter-cable and use the 43kW-typ2-port.
of course only with the maximum what's possible with the Roadster -> 14 kW (60 Amps with one phase).
you will get it ready for use.
price EUR 850,- (without VAT) *) **)

the parts are not cheap at all, so i have to demand payment in advance. in case of 50 pieces i would have to cover
a five digits euro amount. i'm sure you will understand that.
actual count of orders: 15

if you are interested please post here or send me a personal message.

be electrified!
Manfred
Tesla Club Austria

*) plus VAT und shipping.
**) Price is valid if we make 50 pieces at all, less would cost a little bit more, more would cost a little bit less.

Hi Manfred
I see you on TFF Forum in German - via Google translate :) as here, I'm Mark77a.

I am interested to see pictures and diagrams of your conversion.

In UK we have used @hcsharp 's CAN JR which is a TR plug with a J1772 socket combined (and super neat !)
Then we use a J1772 to Type 2 Cable with a very simple modification (14mm reduction) to make the Type 2 cable connector to be the same as the Type 2 cable connectors in BMW i3, Renault Zoe, etc etc.
This allows a 60A+ charge from UK rapid chargers at single phase 240v.

I have not tested this in continental Europe (france, Belgium, Holland germany etc) yet, but I intend to do a road trip soon (once I work out which charge companies I need to register with and which apps and RFID cards I'll need ... that is harder than working out cable modifications :) ).

Here is the story of the development and testing here in UK > Charging Tesla Roadster at 60A on AC rapids | Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
Good luck with your solution - the more amps we can get into Roadsters, the better :)

I can confirm that the UK method works exactly the same in NL (didn't expect otherwise but nice to see it).

20150805_184206.jpg
20150805_184233.jpg
20150805_185352.jpg

hi roadies,

here is a picture of my first version:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438876874.506285.jpg

and it works perfect. i will post fotos of my new cable-version in the next days. currently i'm waiting for some parts.

i know the UK-version and what i dont't want it because the can + plug extremely sticks out from the car. so it's finally a risk for a damaged chargeport.

in my version i put the cable connectoon under the car and that's it.

btw: i would be interested where i can get a typ2-inlet which i can screw into a small can similar like UK-version. but i only can get inlets like this one on the left:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438877377.847657.jpg

be electrified
manfred

@1st picture: looks professional ... and expensive, promises something but

@2nd picture: on both sides type 2?? where is the usability for the roadster? and the red cable on the left looks like for max amps of 32

@3rd picture: that's the right way ... but ... cable looks like for max amps of 32

my solution is for roadsters high power charging with 60 amps ... for a reasonable price.

@1st picture: looks professional ... and expensive, promises something but

@2nd picture: on both sides type 2?? where is the usability for the roadster? and the red cable on the left looks like for max amps of 32

@3rd picture: that's the right way ... but ... cable looks like for max amps of 32

my solution is for roadsters high power charging with 60 amps ... for a reasonable price.

1st picture: Price is reasonable!

2nd picture: For the fast charging stations with fix outlet

3rd picture: Works great with 63 A! I Have it, used it. Reasonable price. Never a problem so far.

What you are making, probably already exists. Apart from the fact you found the OEM supplier for the Roadster connector, which is great.

Here some pictures of my setup:

CrOhm EVSE1M63 (mobile version!).
HCSharp custom Type 2 to roadster cable 5m 70A.

One cable, no boxes and 240V 64A. So that's a little over 80km charge per hour :biggrin:

19745194583_4e2a85d648_c.jpg

20357617192_73917289f2_c.jpg

20366136985_07af5142e3_c.jpg

i know your version and what i dont't want is that the can + type-2-plug extremely sticks out from the car. so it's finally a risk for a damaged chargeport.

with the original roadster plug on car side, a short cable and the inlet plug on the other side it is possible to put it under the car.

the best solution would be to change the roadster port to type2. let's see what elon will announce this month. maybe all our efforts are not necessary.
[emoji6]

i know your version and what i dont't want is that the can + type-2-plug extremely sticks out from the car. so it's finally a risk for a damaged chargeport.

with the original roadster plug on car side, a short cable and the inlet plug on the other side it is possible to put it under the car.

the best solution would be to change the roadster port to type2. let's see what elon will announce this month. maybe all our efforts are not necessary.
[emoji6]

and 3 phase charging

[emoji6]

I agree that the best solution would be a Type 2 inlet port. 3 phase charging would be even better, like a dream come true. Too bad Tesla won't do it, not even for Roadster 3.0. I hope I'm wrong.

There is a slight risk of putting a little more leverage on the charge port with my adapter, but it's quite small. This is the shortest adapter I've made and when you add the length of the Type 2 connector the combined length is only a few cm longer than the OEM charge connector. I've got over 100 CAN adapters in circulation and not one has ever caused any damage to a charge port.

Personally I like m0rph's solution the best. One cable in your trunk and you can charge at any charging station, even the 43kW 63A. But I'm not making those cables anymore. And the 43kW stations are "tethered", meaning they already have a cable. It really depends on your priorities. Do you want more trunk space and don't want to carry a cable? Do you care about safety? Is price a big consideration? There isn't one solution that's right for everybody.

I agree that the best solution would be a Type 2 inlet port. 3 phase charging would be even better, like a dream come true. Too bad Tesla won't do it, not even for Roadster 3.0. I hope I'm wrong.

There is a slight risk of putting a little more leverage on the charge port with my adapter, but it's quite small. This is the shortest adapter I've made and when you add the length of the Type 2 connector the combined length is only a few cm longer than the OEM charge connector. I've got over 100 CAN adapters in circulation and not one has ever caused any damage to a charge port.

Personally I like m0rph's solution the best. One cable in your trunk and you can charge at any charging station, even the 43kW 63A. But I'm not making those cables anymore. And the 43kW stations are "tethered", meaning they already have a cable. It really depends on your priorities. Do you want more trunk space and don't want to carry a cable? Do you care about safety? Is price a big consideration? There isn't one solution that's right for everybody.

I really like the existing CAN-JR for charging on the road. Most places around here seem to have a J1772 connector, and the CAN-JR puts it at exactly the right distance from the car so that the cable doesn't rub on the side of the car, possibly damaging the paint. And, unlike an adapter cable, it fits very nicely in its pouch in the retractable CAN Holder, next to the passenger seat, so I don't have to mess with getting in/out of the trunk every time I charge (putting extra wear on the reportedly flakey latches). I still keep the 120v charge cable in the trunk, but mostly that's just a place to store it. Haven't used it in months.