Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the clock change automatically when you cross time zones?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes it does. Sometimes it's quicker to change than the phone's time, sometimes it's slower.

Yes, Jerry is correct. I have the clock change within 2-3 minutes, and I have also witnessed the change after more than an hour, after I stopped to charge and when the car woke up after being unlocked, it displayed the proper time. It might have to do with your location when you cross the time zones. Perhaps more rural areas have more difficulties in accessing the device that puts the time onto our cars.

Give 3 quick taps on the clock and it will update timezone and clock within a few seconds.

@FlasherZ, thanks for the tip. Not that it's going to matter to me now (probably many years before my car crosses a time zone again), but when I was driving from New Mexico to Arizona, I would be halfway between the Holbrook and Flagstaff superchargers before my car's time would update (during Daylight Savings time, when Arizona is in a different time zone than New Mexico).

Give 3 quick taps on the clock and it will update timezone and clock within a few seconds.

Thanks FlasherZ; I had asked Tesla service 3 times about this with no answer. Your 3-taps solution worked tonight. When we go to CDT from EDT, the clock changes to CDT; but after returning to EDT, it has twice taken a week without changing back to EDT, eventually doing it at some random time. The map (NAV) knows where the car is; and it has a perfectly good cell signal; so it should know what time zone it is in!

Why doesn't Tesla service know how to answer this?

...or why doesn't Tesla put useful usage information like this 3-tap solution in the User Manual where I for one would really appreciate it. (...but then again, we don't have a 7.0 manual yet, and I check My Tesla each morning, just in case!)

I don't see any means of the clock telling me what timezone it is using. I think it ought to say CST, CDT, EST, EDT, etc. When I cross time zones I have better things to do than watch the clock.

Ditto for navigation. When route crosses timezones I want the ETA to include timezone so I know if I should add or subtract an hour (or not) when someone asks about arrival time. Forced to say, "Navigation says 5 PM but I don't know if that is my time or yours."

I don't see any means of the clock telling me what timezone it is using. I think it ought to say CST, CDT, EST, EDT, etc. When I cross time zones I have better things to do than watch the clock.

Ditto for navigation. When route crosses timezones I want the ETA to include timezone so I know if I should add or subtract an hour (or not) when someone asks about arrival time. Forced to say, "Navigation says 5 PM but I don't know if that is my time or yours."

It seems like that would be wasted space 99% of the time though. Only if a) you lived or worked across timezone borders or b) you were on a road trip, there's no need to have it on the screen.

(I can't recall any navigation system, whether via phone / built-in / handheld, that takes into account time zone changes in destination time. Perhaps there's one out there, but every system I've ever used has always listed ETA's relative to current time zone only.)

(I can't recall any navigation system, whether via phone / built-in / handheld, that takes into account time zone changes in destination time. Perhaps there's one out there, but every system I've ever used has always listed ETA's relative to current time zone only.)
My Prius sorta does that -- you program in the target time zone (it doesn't automatically assume), and it gives the ETA in that zone. Very handy on long trips.

With V7 firmware, does the clock get better when you drive out of the ugly zone ? :biggrin:

Does it revert to something more useful on the lower dash area as a text string, if you accidentally cross into the twilight zone ? :eek:

---- on an unrelated note that is somewhat related -----

Didja know with the big console nav screen, the county/municipality you're currently in is displayed in the upper right corner and when you cross the county line this changes, pretty quickly... as you pass the "Welcome to ... County" sign on the road.. bing! It updates. I only spotted that text up there after 10 months of ownership. Hello! Good morning! What else don't I know about my car?

Last edited:

One of the best things that I did on the Apple Watch was to set the second time display to UTC (GMT, Zulu). That gives me an anchor as I cross time zones, and the phone and watch automatically adjust to local time. Of course, it helps if you remember relationships like PST+8=UTC, MDT+6=UTC, EST+5=UTC, etc.

Google Calendar has the really helpful feature of being able to set the beginning and end time of an event in separate time zones. I use this regularly when putting flights into my calendar.

^^^ Yesssss! A vital part of a stress-free cross-country trip. One could argue this is a good idea from first principles as well: Many of the other numbers on the screen are displayed with units included: MPH, Rated Range, % charge, etc. Time Zone is essentially the "units" of absolute time.

And, while Cottonwood's Apple watch suggestion is a good one, I will continue to crusade for having all the vital information for trip planning in one place, so one does not need to look at five different places on two different screens plus a wrist, and then do math to determine whether it is necessary to stop at the next supercharger, or if we'll get to the motel before the reservation guarantee expires.

Last edited:
Reactions: N4HHE
Driving from Chicago (CDT) back into Indiana ([eventually] EDT) last night it took a very long time -- more than an hour --
to come to its time senses. Given the available GPS info, there's really no excuse. At least now I know about the magic
three-taps work-around.