Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

what is an "A-pillar foam neoprine upper standoff" ? Listed on recent service invoice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla had my car for a couple days installing the new center console. When I got the invoice it listed 2 "a-pillar upper standoff, foam neoprene" as parts replaced or added, in addition to the center console. Anyone know what these are? Is this some kind of recall they are doing on the a-pillar covers or something?

As an aside, Tesla ranger service is awesome, they picked up and returned my car from Fresno. I was told it would cost $100 but they didn't charge me anything on my invoice as far as I can see. The new center console is great also, I greatly prefer it to the empty space.

Last edited:
The A pillar is the first structural element holding up your roof between the front windshield and front door. Similarly the B pillar is between the front and rear door. What probably got replaced was the rubber on that little triangle glass window that was not sealing properly and allowing wind noise

What probably got replaced was the rubber on that little triangle glass window that was not sealing properly and allowing wind noise

That's what I thought initially, but that repair was listed differently on my service invoice:

Concern: Cold Draft or Wind Noise Coming From Fixed Glass
Corrections: Install LH And RH Fixed Glass Seals And Foam Strips
Cold Draft or Wind Noise Coming From Fixed Glass installed seals and tested drove

Parts replaced or added:
Part Quantity
FIXED GLASS SEAL LH (1039364-00-A) 1
FIXED GLASS SEAL RH (1046148-00-A) 1
SEAL MESH DEFROSTER (1007167-00-B) 1
HEART FLEX CLIP WITH WASHER - 70 LBS 18
RETENTION (10225401-00-A)
Pay Type: Warranty

Does the OP have any additional information on this item?

My guess is that it is for rattles. I have consistently had a rattle inside the A pillar. Service has fixed it once, and it is back and will be addressed at my next service. I think there is the wires which run up the A pillar which vibrates behind the A pillar covering - just my guess.

Yes, "fixed glass" refers to the triangular window, but that was listed on my invoice for actually fixing the triangular window.
However, my invoice didn't list "A-pillar foam neoprine upper standoff", hence my suggestion that it is NOT related to the triangular window.

A google search brought up a mention of the phrase on a German Tesla Club site:
TFF Forum - Tesla Fahrer Original 2015er Tesla Mittelkonsole (vorn)
And there is is also used in association with the installation of a middle console.
I can't verify it, since my Model S came with the middle console installed, therefore I never received an invoice for its installation.
Maybe other owners who had theirs retrofitted can verify whether the "standoff" is listed on their invoice.

I agree that it seems weird that they had to mess with the A-pillar when installing the middle console.

Although a good thought, I don't think they messed with my fixed glass window. I sure hope not, mine are perfect on my Dec 2014 delivery and don't make any noise at all.

I never had any complaints about squeaks or rattles at all, which is why I was surprised to find the A-pillar parts listed on my invoice. And the service adviser didn't mention it.

Last edited: