Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trip from Sacramento CA to San Diego CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AMPd

Nov 27, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
First off id like to thank Elon and team for this amazing piece of machine!
A special thanks goes to hilton hotels for providing the space for the Redondo Beach CA supercharger! The best place to stop and charge, cleanest restroom I've seen on the road!

Seriously that place was awesome! But I digress

Ok so even tho I've learned a lot about range, consumption, variables, I was still very cautious as this was my first trip. I took advantage of tools like evtripplanner and teslas nav which is absolutely horrible!

Trip began in Sacramento with a 258 mile charge, originally I was thinking of going straight to Harris ranch sc I changed my mind around Stockton and decided to stop off in Manteca for 10-15 minutes. After that the trip was a breeze!
I did notice one thing, the wait for your car to charge does not exist! By the time I was done using the restroom getting my snacks and having a slow romantic walk back to the car it was ready to go! Not once did I have to sit and wait for my range to hit the magic number.
Ive done this trip many times, this was the most enjoyable, the stops really make it a road trip rather than a grind.

The bad: what in the world is up with the nav? It tells me I have enough range, I charge further for a larger buffer and once I hit the road it tells me to turn around and go back for a charge! Whyyyy?
It did that twice, once leaving Manteca, and then after I left Harris ranch.

Technically Nav is in Beta. Its a mess.

Here's my long report on it:
Road Trip Testing the New Trip Planner | TESLA OWNER

The bad: what in the world is up with the nav? It tells me I have enough range, I charge further for a larger buffer and once I hit the road it tells me to turn around and go back for a charge! Whyyyy?

First off id like to thank Elon and team for this amazing piece of machine!
A special thanks goes to hilton hotels for providing the space for the Redondo Beach CA supercharger! The best place to stop and charge, cleanest restroom I've seen on the road!

Seriously that place was awesome! But I digress

Ok so even tho I've learned a lot about range, consumption, variables, I was still very cautious as this was my first trip. I took advantage of tools like evtripplanner and teslas nav which is absolutely horrible!

Trip began in Sacramento with a 258 mile charge, originally I was thinking of going straight to Harris ranch sc I changed my mind around Stockton and decided to stop off in Manteca for 10-15 minutes. After that the trip was a breeze!
I did notice one thing, the wait for your car to charge does not exist! By the time I was done using the restroom getting my snacks and having a slow romantic walk back to the car it was ready to go! Not once did I have to sit and wait for my range to hit the magic number.
Ive done this trip many times, this was the most enjoyable, the stops really make it a road trip rather than a grind.

Nice. We did the same trip a few months back. I think the quick detour to Manteca is worth it. The stalls are always open, there's decent food available, and then you can drive to Harris Ranch as fast as you want.